Disappointing/Overrated Players Since 1990 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Disappointing/Overrated Players Since 1990

I generally refuse to click on anything from the Bleacher Report, especially the stupid slide shows that are just designed to inflate their page view stats.

so, I didn't read this. but I get that everyone thinks its a travesty.

so, then who do you think are the most overrated cuse players of the last 20-25 years?

this should be a highly contentious thread, since somebody's favorite player is going to be listed. So, the first rule of fight thread is that overrated does not mean bad. the second rule of fight thread is that overrated does not mean bad.

I'll start it off with a bang. the most overrated player in Syracuse history is Gerry McNamara.

Should we even count the players who were true freshmen and then bolted? Or the ones who never made it here like Fred Walton?

Donovan McNabb? Why not Andrew Kouwe? Or Justin Thomas? I was always underwhelmed by his jumping jacks in the 2-3 zone during the 6OT game.

Jason Hart had a disappointing NBA career? He was a second round draft pick, not Derrick Coleman for the love of God.

And LOL at Wes on that list. Let's just add Warrick while we're at it.

the most overrated player in Syracuse history is Gerry McNamara.

I'm interested as to why you think that. I know that some knocks against him are that he shot a low field goal percentage (sub 40% his last three years), and that the team was pretty lousy in the regular season his senior year. But from a statistical resume standpoint, and based on his performance in clutch situations, he was incredible.

4th all-time in scoring
3rd all-time in assists
2nd all-time in steals
1st all-time in free throw percentage
1st all-time in three point field goals made

Good luck telling Boeheim that. McNamara was awful against Vermont. Other than that I am not disappointed at any part of his career. He carried the 07 class his senior year. You want to talk about most disappointing classes. 4 top 75 players between mccroskey, Nichols, Roberts, and Watkins. None of them played to their expectations unless you count D Nichs sr. yr. those 4 should be at the top of any list of four year players that were the most disappointing. The post championship seasons immediately following 2003 were disappointing because of the lack of development in that class.

For me it would be kids coming in highly ranked who not only struggled in the begging but never really contributed much. Guys like Josh Wright and
Mike Jones.

Josh Wright was very disappointing for me. He was lumped in neck & neck with AJ Price, Kyle Lowry, in the rankings. I believe we were recruiting those guys but also weren't pursuing Sean Singletary. Wright was a huge disappointment on and off the court.

I'm interested as to why you think that. I know that some knocks against him are that he shot a low field goal percentage (sub 40% his last three years), and that the team was pretty lousy in the regular season his senior year. But from a statistical resume standpoint, and based on his performance in clutch situations, he was incredible.

4th all-time in scoring
3rd all-time in assists
2nd all-time in steals
I think it was to see if Jim Boeheim reads this board. ;)

I'll start it off with a bang. the most overrated player in Syracuse history is Gerry McNamara.

I don't know--I think that there was a disproportionate amount of love thrown GMac's way, given his general lack of improvement during the course of his career.

Don't know that this equates to "overrated."

Roberts never lived up to the hype that surrounded him, after Hak graduated he was suppose to be the man. #33 jerseys were all over the place.

But what I remember the most about him isn't that he didn't live up to the hype or that the teams he was on never went far in the postseason. It was this
s070307_bigeast.jpg

BET 2007 when the team sported these new jerseys and T-rob was playing with a torn apart knee and grabbing 20+ rebounds on one leg. This dude had heart and played as hard as he could. Much respect to this dude.

Roberts never lived up to the hype that surrounded him, after Hak graduated he was suppose to be the man. #33 jerseys were all over the place.

But what I remember the most about him isn't that he didn't live up to the hype or that the teams he was on never went far in the postseason. It was thisView attachment 5033

BET 2007 when the team sported these new jerseys and T-rob was playing with a torn apart knee and grabbing 20+ rebounds on one leg. This dude had heart and played as hard as he could. Much respect to this dude.

No argument there. I found TRob to be an incredibly frustrating player in that he didn't improve much, and that his production never quite matched up with his physical talent. But I gained newfound respect for him when he finished that season playing essentially on one leg, and playing as hard as he could despite the debilitation.

None of that changes some of the things that made Roberts a frustrating player, but I respect him a lot more given how his career played out.

No argument there. I found TRob to be an incredibly frustrating player in that he didn't improve much, and that his production never quite matched up with his physical talent. But I gained newfound respect for him when he finished that season playing essentially on one leg, and playing as hard as he could despite the debilitation.

None of that changes some of the things that made Roberts a frustrating player, but I respect him a lot more given how his career played out.
My thoughts exactly.

I don't know--I think that there was a disproportionate amount of love thrown GMac's way, given his general lack of improvement during the course of his career.

Don't know that this equates to "overrated."
Most definitely gerry never seemed to improve , he was the same player leaving as he was coming in. He hit his ceiling early just like triche.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

4th all-time in scoring
3rd all-time in assists
2nd all-time in steals
I was disappointed he only made 6 threes in the championship game. (In the first half)

The problem with Bleacher Report is greed. Despite decent distribution they do not pay enough for professional staff.

Pet peeve...overrated discussions about people or things rated just about right. What was Fab "rated" in the first place?

4th all-time in scoring
3rd all-time in assists
2nd all-time in steals

he was a good-to-very-good college player who accumulated a lot of volume stats, but Syracuse fans overrate him - insisting he was as good a shooter as JJ Reddick and as good a point guard as Chris Quinn. He was not in the neighborhood of either.

too bad we don't have archives from the old site; you could find dozens, maybe hundreds of posts along the lines of "if Reddick can be a pro, so can GMac;" or"how can Chris Quinn have an NBA career but not GMac?"

he was a good-to-very-good college player who accumulated a lot of volume stats, but Syracuse fans overrate him - insisting he was as good a shooter as JJ Reddick and as good a point guard as Chris Quinn. He was not in the neighborhood of either.

too bad we don't have archives from the old site; you could find dozens, maybe hundreds of posts along the lines of "if Reddick can be a pro, so can GMac;" or"how can Chris Quinn have an NBA career but not GMac?"

yes sir. gmac was all heart with ice in his veins. a good college player who could take over games if he caught fire. with that being said i'll take one of him every year.

I certainly remember people making the GMac/Redick comparison, but I remember that being more when both were underclassmen and Redick had not yet established himself as a superstar. By the time they were both seniors and Redick clearly established himself as at worst the 2nd best player in college basketball (along with Adam Morrison), I feel like the GMac/Redick comparisons became virtually extinct.

I'd throw Louie McCroskey on the list. He's somehow our only recruit from NYC in the last 10 years. Not that it's been a problem.

JSIII is a NYC kid (Cardoza).
That's true but he came out of prep school in Mass so my mistake. I really just enjoy bringing up our lack of NYC recruits because the Syracuse haters love to mention that we're losing the NYC pipeline for recruiting with our move to the ACC.

That's true but he came out of prep school in Mass so my mistake. I really just enjoy bringing up our lack of NYC recruits because the Syracuse haters love to mention that we're losing the NYC pipeline for recruiting with our move to the ACC.
Understood. No one was on the Kevin Jones bandwagon more than I was. I felt we needed him, not only because of his great talent but also because we hadn't recruited a Mt Vernon player in 40 years.

During my non basketball season boredom I've been doing some reading and came across a Bleacher Report article from 2011 by a tool named Mike Mueller. I'm not trying to be too harsh as Mister Mueller is possibly handicapped and hence this article was published, but if he isn't, he must do a lot of drugs and often.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ost-disappointingoverrated-players-since-1990

The link is above, I don't want to spoil it but this dullard believes that Jason Hart is the most overrated player to put the orange on since 1990. OMGWTFLOL

My list:

Paul Harris
Winfred Walton
Donte Greene
Josh Wright
Dayshawn Wright
Conrad McRae
Leron Ellis
Anthony Carter