Dixie State pulls a Lemoyne upset over UNLV | Syracusefan.com

Dixie State pulls a Lemoyne upset over UNLV

Dixie has legit hoops actually.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Go Dolphins! The only time I would ever cheer against SU...and even then it just felt wrong.

Somewhat disagree.
We're a bigger name than UNLV, & at the time, were playing in the bad-ass BEast.
Us losing to LeMoyne was a headline story. I haven't seen this UNLV upset reported anywhere.

Somewhat disagree.
We're a bigger name than UNLV, & at the time, were playing in the bad-ass BEast.
Us losing to LeMoyne was a headline story. I haven't seen this UNLV upset reported anywhere.

Yes, weren't we ranked top 10 that year?

There's something called Dixie State in existence?

Somewhat disagree.
Also a little different is the close proximity of LeMoyne to the Syracuse campus. That was part of the story. I'm not sure where Dixie State is but it doesn't sound like it's anywhere near Las Vegas.

But...but...this kind of thing ONLY happens to us!

SU just had the misfortune of doing it on a slow sports night. I believe it was a Tuesday night. Off night during the World Series, no football games, no NBA, handful of NHL games.

I still remember two ESPN announcers filling time the next day...the man accouncer says to the female accouncer: "Why do they have the nickname Dolphins all the way up in Syracuse?" Female Announcer: "I think it's because they are near Lake Erie". Wrong on so many levels.

Wes had 34 points that night but missed a three to tie it at the end.

With 17 seconds Wes had put us in the lead 79-78.

Our big men were outplayed that night by the smaller Dolphins.

We were more like the fish out of water.

The Day of the Dolphin

Also a little different is the close proximity of LeMoyne to the Syracuse campus. That was part of the story. I'm not sure where Dixie State is but it doesn't sound like it's anywhere near Las Vegas.
It's in Southwest Utah, about 100 miles from Las Vegas. It was originally founded by the LDS Church. Brigham Young called Southwest Utah "Utah's Dixie" because of its climate.

Yes, I just looked all that up.

Allow me a moment for a conspiracy theory...

I'm still not sure JB wanted to win that game, for whatever reason. That was arguably our best zone of all time, which JB had to see after five minutes of practice. If he REALLY wanted to win, why wouldn't he switch to it in a tight game(they took the lead with 8 minutes to go in the game, plenty of time.) where they were hot from the outside, hurting us with backdoors and the quicker Ekperegin was exploiting AO(always struggled with smaller, quicker guys) and our bigs? Since when has he ever been hesitant to switch to zone?

We destroyed a majority of opponents, hit #1 in the country, were a 1 seed, could've won it all with AO, etc., that season and as I remember Lemoyne finished near the bottom of their D2 conference that year. Two weeks later(I think it was the UNC game), Bobby Knight was saying we were the best team in the country. I didn't think it at the time at all, but in hindsight, that team was a well oiled machine and I can't just chalk that loss up to 'they were hot, we weren't', let's be honest, we destroy that team if we go zone for even half the game.

We'll never know for sure but I think JB wanted to send the 'we can't play man defense' message while getting a potentially great team's collective attention that night in a test environment with little downside as even the media onslaught would only reinforce whatever his message was. And if true, it worked tremendously well.

Allow me a moment for a conspiracy theory...

I'm still not sure JB wanted to win that game, for whatever reason. That was arguably our best zone of all time, which JB had to see after five minutes of practice. If he REALLY wanted to win, why wouldn't he switch to it in a tight game(they took the lead with 8 minutes to go in the game, plenty of time.) where they were hot from the outside, hurting us with backdoors and the quicker Ekperegin was exploiting AO(always struggled with smaller, quicker guys) and our bigs? Since when has he ever been hesitant to switch to zone?

We destroyed a majority of opponents, hit #1 in the country, were a 1 seed, could've won it all with AO, etc., that season and as I remember Lemoyne finished near the bottom of their D2 conference that year. Two weeks later(I think it was the UNC game), Bobby Knight was saying we were the best team in the country. I didn't think it at the time at all, but in hindsight, that team was a well oiled machine and I can't just chalk that loss up to 'they were hot, we weren't', let's be honest, we destroy that team if we go zone for even half the game.

We'll never know for sure but I think JB wanted to send the 'we can't play man defense' message while getting a potentially great team's collective attention that night in a test environment with little downside as even the media onslaught would only reinforce whatever his message was. And if true, it worked tremendously well.

Well he certainly didn't have to answer the question of why that team didn't switch to man-to-man at all that season. All he would have to say if the question was asked was: Le Moyne

I still remember two ESPN announcers filling time the next day...the man accouncer says to the female accouncer: "Why do they have the nickname Dolphins all the way up in Syracuse?" Female Announcer: "I think it's because they are near Lake Erie". Wrong on so many levels.
she has doc Johnson on her mind or .....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom