DL Steve Linton transferring from Texas Tech to Baylor | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

DL Steve Linton transferring from Texas Tech to Baylor

Perfect.
We have Jawhar Jordan losing his mind vs ND, and now this. What a great week of football this has been.
fail 40 year old virgin GIF

Jawhar Jordan actually leads the ACC in rushing.

Jordan leaving here was squarely on Babers..

Allen is #9 fyi

It’s fine because we were told we came out positive in the portal swaps.
Yup. A lot of people here, once again, put on the orange tinted Oakley's, and convinced themselves that losing some of our best defensive players, and replacing them with other guys who were "4 stars" coming out of highschool, was going to be an upgrade. (without even considering what kind of playing time or production they had at their previous college)
Yes, we pulled in a lot of names from big schools, with big offers out of highschool. So did pretty much every other school.
We, at the very most, maintained the gap in talent between ourselves, and the other big boys, and held pretty much even with the rest of our peers in terms of an overall talent upgrade.

Man do we have an eye for talent. Don't have a clue as how to put it to good use but we've got the eye!!!
We have some amazing recruiters. They have time to recruit players for Syracuse, and every other school.

Yup. A lot of people here, once again, put on the orange tinted Oakley's, and convinced themselves that losing some of our best defensive players, and replacing them with other guys who were "4 stars" coming out of highschool, was going to be an upgrade. (without even considering what kind of playing time or production they had at their previous college)
Yes, we pulled in a lot of names from big schools, with big offers out of highschool. So did pretty much every other school.
We, at the very most, maintained the gap in talent between ourselves, and the other big boys, and held pretty much even with the rest of our peers in terms of an overall talent upgrade.

fact is, our 4 transfers have done next to nothing at their new schools and our guys are starting to make moves. Bellamy started his first game, Alijah Clark is a starter and future pro, and Ingraham is now #2 on the depth chart.

i think it’s a bit early to draw any conclusions either way. Geer and Linton might have fine careers, Carter and Duce are done.

fact is, our 4 transfers have done next to nothing at their new schools and our guys are starting to make moves. Bellamy started his first game, Alijah Clark is a starter and future pro, and Ingraham is now #2 on the depth chart.

i think it’s a bit early to draw any conclusions either way. Geer and Linton might have fine careers, Carter and Duce are done.
I don't care what they do at the new school. They performed well here, made a difference here, and we couldn't keep them here. That's the issue. Being able to retain what you already have, instead of bringing in guys who are nothing but hope.

Allen is #9 fyi
It's on Babers in that he didn't get a functional enough oline for him to want to run behind. Aside from that, Babers did all he could to keep him. I believe shortly after the transfer llandz said Babers flew out to his house in Arizona twice to talk him into staying and told him he would start. What more could he have done?

You can’t replace 2 all-acc defenders and another starting defensive lineman, not even mentioning Linton. Was never sure why everyone was so confident? When you know who is getting game reps vs UNC that’s what will happen if we continue to lose a handful of our best players to the new NIL portal and replace them with kids who didn’t see the field at their first stop.

You can’t replace 2 all-acc defenders and another starting defensive lineman, not even mentioning Linton. Was never sure why everyone was so confident? When you know who is getting game reps vs UNC that’s what will happen if we continue to lose a handful of our best players to the new NIL portal and replace them with kids who didn’t see the field at their first stop.
I agree, but to be clear, I'm not saying the portal is useless. We can get good talent out of it. Sometimes getting a player in a new system, with a staff and environment he likes is enough to get his talent to come through.
I'm just not of the opinion, that the portal is going to be our great equalizer. The bottom feeders, will generally get the lowest available talent.

I agree, but to be clear, I'm not saying the portal is useless. We can get good talent out of it. Sometimes getting a player in a new system, with a staff and environment he likes is enough to get his talent to come through.
I'm just not of the opinion, that the portal is going to be our great equalizer. The bottom feeders, will generally get the lowest available talent.
Where we are at right now the best FCS guys are going to be picked over by the top schools and the guys who performed well at the P5 level will also transfer to the more successful programs. Unless we magically get Syverud and the rest of the University, and i mean starting at the top, the guys we will get are going to be the ones who either didn’t pan out at a top SEC/B10, didn’t crack the depth chart at same schools, or lower level players who can at best come in and fill some depth. Wohlabaugh was looking like the best get, but we didn’t see him against anyone with a heartbeat so judgement withheld. We need to fix our NIL collective. Not being prepared was a totally Syracuse thing. Having guys like Mikel Jones tweeting stuff online about taking care of the players tell you all that you need to know about what is being talked about when their not in the facility.

I don't care what they do at the new school. They performed well here, made a difference here, and we couldn't keep them here. That's the issue. Being able to retain what you already have, instead of bringing in guys who are nothing but hope.
Maybe, I their heart, they knew they had long odds of playing in the NFL so they took the most cash they could grab while in college.

Allen is #9 fyi

Jordan wasn’t anything special at Ville until this year. Credit to him for working hard and improving. We had 2 years of an NFL running back when he left. Running backs aren’t typically late bloomers but JJ is.

That said I’d transfer too if I knew the AD would never give me 44 no matter what.

If LQA goes down we won’t win another game.

Jordan wasn’t anything special at Ville until this year. Credit to him for working hard and improving. We had 2 years of an NFL running back when he left. Running backs aren’t typically late bloomers but JJ is.

That said I’d transfer too if I knew the AD would never give me 44 no matter what.

If LQA goes down we won’t win another game.
He wasn't really a late bloomer. What he's doing was always there. It just took a while for him to get the opportunity. In 2021 I remember there was a delay with him being able to play so he only played 4 games. He averaged 5.7 ypc last year as the starter but they distributed the carries amongst more RBs and the QB ran for a bunch of yards. This year he's taking the lion's share of carries and a different QB isn't as much of a runner. He's making more big plays too though.

He wasn't really a late bloomer. What he's doing was always there. It just took a while for him to get the opportunity. In 2021 I remember there was a delay with him being able to play so he only played 4 games. He averaged 5.7 ypc last year as the starter but they distributed the carries amongst more RBs and the QB ran for a bunch of yards. This year he's taking the lion's share of carries and a different QB isn't as much of a runner. He's making more big plays too though.
He showed his promise and home run ability in limited action with us.

This one was always a big loss and one that I don't really blame coaches for.

He bet on himself and found a better situation for himself.

He showed his promise and home run ability in limited action with us.

This one was always a big loss and one that I don't really blame coaches for.

He bet on himself and found a better situation for himself.
Yeah, I never understood the people that didn't think he was good. It's as if people look at limited stats and don't actually watch the games and see the context of those stats. I don't know if the NFL has a place now for a Warrick Dunn size RB, but he's a weapon in college.

Last edited:

How much money did you put up to keep them here?

How much money did you put up to keep them here?
Hmmm...how much are tickets to every home game? The gas it costs me to drive 45 minutes each way?, the food I buy on campus cost?
I'm not sure what your salary is, but that costs a good chunk of mine

Maybe, I their heart, they knew they had long odds of playing in the NFL so they took the most cash they could grab while in college.
Yes. Probably the case in a lot of situations.

Hmmm...how much are tickets to every home game? The gas it costs me to drive 45 minutes each way?, the food I buy on campus cost?
I'm not sure what your salary is, but that costs a good chunk of mine
Do we have to have the "Schools don't provide NIL money" again?

Apparently, yes, we do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom