Do you miss playing Rutgers?? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Do you miss playing Rutgers??

I miss playing SU. Easy road trip up I-81. Miss meeting many of you in the Fine Lot. Miss Dinosaur BBQ. Miss sitting in the rafters of the Carrier Dome, which is a fantastic place to be. Hate that we're not in an eastern conference, but thankful that we're not knashing our teeth.
No!

Also kinda weird when people who love to wax poetic about tradition talk of Miami and VaTech...teams we really only started playing regularly in 1992.

That's because most on this board began watching SU Football in 1992.

BC might get close but there's no real bad blood lately. They were the only fan base in the ACC excited to have us from a football standpoint.

But even our longstanding rivals don't really care about us. Penn State? Right. We're to them what Seton Hall is to us. We are no better than Pitt's 3rd most important rival. Same with WVU.

Rutgers could have been a great regional rival but somehow fans of a program that has absolutely sucked for the majority of the last century think they're too good for Syracuse .

Fixed

OrangePA said:

Nah, there are lots of people here who are older than that.

I think it's because people's definition of tradition is subjective.

People who don't call it a rivalry are delusional.

VT was becoming a rivalry. Games meant something, played before larger crowds than normal, on networks or the mothership back when that meant something, and genuine dislike all the way around.

Rutgers was none of those things.

OrangePA said:

Not me. I started following Cuse football before I was born. My not yet imagined self was inspired by Ernie Davis and Jim Brown.

Everyone starts somewhere. Rivalries can form at any point in our history... And if we play ACC teams enough a rivalry may develop for the next generations. And that's okay.

Bayside44 said:
VT was becoming a rivalry. Games meant something, played before larger crowds than normal, on networks or the mothership back when that meant something, and genuine dislike all the way around. Rutgers was none of those things.

No offense - but there is a general dislike and recruiting battles that could have been the embers of something. But we won't be playing them enough for something to develop.

I don't get the resistance to letting rivalries develop outside of the traditional ones...

I miss playing SU. Easy road trip up I-81. Miss meeting many of you in the Fine Lot. Miss Dinosaur BBQ. Miss sitting in the rafters of the Carrier Dome, which is a fantastic place to be. Hate that we're not in an eastern conference, but thankful that we're not knashing our teeth.
Who?

Nah, there are lots of people here who are older than that.

I think it's because people's definition of tradition is subjective.

When did you start watching SU Football?

No offense - but there is a general dislike and recruiting battles that could have been the embers of something. But we won't be playing them enough for something to develop.

I don't get the resistance to letting rivalries develop outside of the traditional ones...
we could play them enough if we go to3-5-5

Besides BC & VT, this has been my most memorable rival. The fan bases loathe each other and there is genuine dislike for each state. They happen to be situated in key recruiting grounds for us and have had some mild success over the last 8 years. It's hard to argue that they are not a natural Northeast rival for us.

When did you start watching SU Football?
I have always watched SU football, first game I can remember Jim Brown was on the field. Rutgers was not part of our football past. We played Holy Cross and Colgate regularly, also BC often, PSU, Pitt, WVU. Nowhere was Rutgers on our schedule, just not one of our traditional rivals historically. Played often more recently, but we usually beat them like a drum until Gerg came along.

Could've been the embers of something and rivalry are two different things.

Those old enough remember where they were on the McNabb game winner.

Personally our conference slate is tough enough, give me 4 tomato cans OOC.

This thread is going to a fun place. More of a rival:

Holy Cross
Rutgers

?

Bayside44 said:
Could've been the embers of something and rivalry are two different things. Those old enough remember where they were on the McNabb game winner. Personally our conference slate is tough enough, give me 4 tomato cans OOC.

I remember. Fondly.

Al you are the definition of a hardcore fan. You always look for the good and never put down the opponent. Sorry but I don't miss playing Rutgers. You are a good posters but outside a bowl game I have no interest in playing Rutgers.

If more of your fans were like you I would say your program wouldn't be as bad. Good luck getting to USC of the East level.

My guess next time we play them it will be in the Pinstripe bowl. Year after next.

In my perfect world Syracuse would play Rutgers two more times. One home, one away. Each time we would kick the snot out of them. After the second game Syracuse says, 'Good riddance to bad rubbish!' Then we can repeat that with UConn (if they still have a football team) Of course in my perfect world, Syracuse will average 10 wins a season until the day I die, so the likely hood of this coming true is...?? (That being said, if we win 10 games next season I am not leaving my house before the season begins in 2016.) ;)

No, would have been a huge slap in the face to lose to them this year