Does anyone believe that with a new football coach and the current level of talent, that Syracuse could contend for an ACC title? | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Does anyone believe that with a new football coach and the current level of talent, that Syracuse could contend for an ACC title?

Who is the “we” that wants a certain peer group?

Because I’m not sure the school BOT is aligned with fan expectations. I don’t think our fans have champagne tastes, but a nice bottle of decent mass marketed red wine would be nice.

The BOT has budgeted for a bottle of Thunderbird or Wild Irish Rose you’d pick up from a ghetto gas station. They can’t possibly think it’s good quality, and it’s become offensive that they keep trying to convince me that it is.
This line of thinking is not fact based.

According to federal tax documents that the university has to release, Babers’ compensation for 2020 included $3.9 million in salary and $50,000 in performance bonuses, as well as smaller sums in deferred compensation and benefits. So he was north of 4 million which made him the 38th highest paid coach in the country in 2020.

4 mil buys a lot of "Thunderbird" even if you are not buying from a "ghetto gas station."

This line of thinking is not fact based.

According to federal tax documents that the university has to release, Babers’ compensation for 2020 included $3.9 million in salary and $50,000 in performance bonuses, as well as smaller sums in deferred compensation and benefits. So he was north of 4 million which made him the 38th highest paid coach in the country in 2020.

4 mil buys a lot of "Thunderbird" even if you are not buying from a "ghetto gas station."

As of 2018, we were 7th in spending on football in the ACC, 46th nationally at $27.7MM. And we’re much closer to the bottom than the top, Clemson spent $55.9MM for tips in the ACC, NC State spent $23.3MM for the bottom spot (which was 56th nationally).

As of right now we’re at 56th in Sagarin ratings - slightly lower than where our spending would project us if spending equals wins (which does closely correlate) but not absurdly out of line. The school which is at 46th in Sagarin is UCF at 3-3 - I sincerely doubt the discussion on this board would be radically different if we were right at 46th.

So my line of thinking is entirely fact based, unlike yours which cherry picked one piece of data in head coaching salary and tried to draw a conclusion from it(which honestly doesn’t support any point you could possibly be trying to make, 38th highest paid head coach isn’t remotely impressive).

Syracuse currently gets the results they pay for. Changing coaches won’t change that unless overall spending goes up dramatically. Virginia Tech was at $35.6 million (24th nationally) - so we’d need to spend around $ 8-10MM a year more than we do now to reasonably demand top 25 level results. I find that unlikely.

As of 2018, we were 7th in spending on football in the ACC, 46th nationally at $27.7MM. And we’re much closer to the bottom than the top, Clemson spent $55.9MM for tips in the ACC, NC State spent $23.3MM for the bottom spot (which was 56th nationally).

As of right now we’re at 56th in Sagarin ratings - slightly lower than where our spending would project us if spending equals wins (which does closely correlate) but not absurdly out of line. The school which is at 46th in Sagarin is UCF at 3-3 - I sincerely doubt the discussion on this board would be radically different if we were right at 46th.

So my line of thinking is entirely fact based, unlike yours which cherry picked one piece of data in head coaching salary and tried to draw a conclusion from it(which honestly doesn’t support any point you could possibly be trying to make, 38th highest paid head coach isn’t remotely impressive).

Syracuse currently gets the results they pay for. Changing coaches won’t change that unless overall spending goes up dramatically. Virginia Tech was at $35.6 million (24th nationally) - so we’d need to spend around $ 8-10MM a year more than we do now to reasonably demand top 25 level results. I find that unlikely.
I know you can't directly compare these, but the Yankees, Mets, and Padres (combined) spent $880m on salaries this year (not obviously including facilities and other outflows), with zero playoff games.

So "extracting the maximum from what you spend" is somewhat relevant, although without nimble, 4- and 5-star 300lb offensive linemen, we're screwed.

It has nothing to do with the dealership. The dealership just sold the cars. It's the collective.

Bees said 6 million (not sure where that # came from. I would have estimated a million per year. $700K for 85 - 1 year leases. Down payments, taxes and insurance. They probably gave the kids gas cards to.
Do we have Collective Money? My point is..whatever the mechanism is to get athletes trucks and money, we don't seem to have it going on like all of these schools we are trying to compete with for players.

The first common sense post on this topic I have seen...since my posts questioning the money Syracuse needs to spend to get the results everyone is crying about.

Do we have Collective Money? My point is..whatever the mechanism is to get athletes trucks and money, we don't seem to have it going on like all of these schools we are trying to compete with for players.

Yea we have collective money and yea athletes have been getting it.

The number came from an article when the deal was announced. The vehicles are 60k+ and they are also paying for insurance and all the fees etc. Seems about right to me for 85 players.

6 million is extremely high. My guess after crunching some basic numbers is 2-2.3 mil.

Not really lot in the donor / business world.

6 million is extremely high. My guess after crunching some basic numbers is 2-2.3 mil.

Not really lot in the donor / business world.

I’m only going by what a couple articles said and the $6m cost comes from the dealership that is having 100 Utah Ute wrapped trucks built. Although one article did point out that depending how long a player has the truck, 1,2,3,4,5 years, they can all be sold or leased at the end to recoup some of the money.

The first common sense post on this topic I have seen...since my posts questioning the money Syracuse needs to spend to get the results everyone is crying about.
I’m not calling for Dino to be fired but he made a lot of bone-headed decisions wayyy before there was NIL.

All the NIL money in the world isn’t going to change Dino being 3 scores and going for a field goal only to be still be 3 scores down if we make it.

What is Dino’s identity and specialty as a football coach?

I’m not calling for Dino to be fired but he made a lot of bone-headed decisions wayyy before there was NIL.

All the NIL money in the world isn’t going to change Dino being 3 scores and going for a field goal only to be still be 3 scores down if we make it.

What is Dino’s identity and specialty as a football coach?
Is he a good football coach? Discuss

SWC75 shared some data on the Syair recruiting thread showing next level talent on our roster over the years (up to 2008).

Let's just be brief here.

We are extremely talent deficient

I can imagine there are all kinds of sketchy shenanigans going on with these NIL schemes. Tax man is going to be working overtime.

I agree but a car dealership isn’t writing off new inventory as a loss especially in this day and age. And before you reply with some type of, well you never know, I was in the car business for 10 years including different management positions.

I agree but a car dealership isn’t writing off new inventory as a loss especially in this day and age. And before you reply with some type of, well you never know, I was in the car business for 10 years including different management positions.
“Was”. WhAt happened?

It just struck me as strange, every player getting a truck. Does every player want a truck? Maybe some want cars or already have a vehicle. Wouldn't they want the cash to decide how to spend it themselves? Seems fishy to me.

Yes
Winning is tough metric to judge over a career but percentage at SU is under .500. I don’t know his ACC percentage without looking it up but probably around .330

Recruiting? Who knows…

Fundamentals? Again who knows… if discipline counts probably not?

Game manager? Ummm

I like Dino, he seems like a great guy but again what’s his specialty that no one else could bring to SU

I have said this multiple times. The recruiting base was ignored under Robinson and Marone was starting to bring it back, but he left. Dino, who I thought was a good offensive mind, did not build on Marone's efforts as he didn't hire coaches with strong ties to the recruiting base and the recruiting base is now gone. Look at 2023 recruiting in the former recruiting base:

Syracuse got:

0 of the top 10 recruits in CT
0 of the top 5 recruits in DC
0 of the top 30 recruits in MD
0 of the top 10 recruits in MA
1 of the top 30 recruits in NJ
2 of the top 10 recruits in NY
0 of the top 50 recruits in OH
0 of the top 30 recruits in PA

Some on the board may disagree, but I think the best recruits Syracuse can get are in the recruiting base and that is how you make Syracuse more competitive with the top ACC schools.
How many these players stayed within this region?

Changing coaches every four years because they have been so successful is much more appealing to me than changing every four years because we're a dumpster fire. Getting to that point would be nice, since we've been a dumpster fire for the vast majority of the last 20 years.
when it comes to my college football team i'd much prefer the break up line to go more like ...
"it's not you ...it's us "
rather than vice versa . babers'record is trending hard VERSA.

BL: we need first to fill the friggin Dome and create an environment that looks exciting to recruits.