Does anyone believe that with a new football coach and the current level of talent, that Syracuse could contend for an ACC title? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Does anyone believe that with a new football coach and the current level of talent, that Syracuse could contend for an ACC title?

Syracuse does not spend enough money on coaches, facilities, NIL to contend for conference championships.

Realistically if things break well I could see them contend once every 6-8 years.
Why Wildhack needs to hire an outstanding football COACH who is creative and makes things easier on the quarterback. Proven track record establishing an offense at a high level at a similar type school. Like I said in a previous thread, Liam Coen from UK is a perfect choice. Someone mentioned Hartline from OSU and he would be a solid interview.

At the end of the day, this team will never recruit at a high level due to the NIL. Have to hit the portal hard and be an extremely well coached group to try to overcome the $$$ that other programs have.

For sure…I don’t think anyone reasonable thinks we should be in the playoff picture but it’s not unreasonable to be decent every 4-5 years

I feel like a sticky post needs to be put on the top of the board so we can link to it when someone does the “what do you think we should be”? I feel like I’ve answered the same question on both the basketball and football board like every year for the past 10 years

Yup. I’m prob getting too angry for a dream that hasn’t been real since I was worrying about my Econ 201 class at Cuse.

7-5 now is a great season now.

Sucks.

Dave Clawson would do very well here. Of course, if he didn’t leave Wake already, he’s not leaving for Cuse.

Yup. I’m prob getting too angry for a dream that hasn’t been real since I was worrying about my Econ 201 class at Cuse.

7-5 now is a great season now.

Sucks.

I just don't want to be tied to some mythical number and that means our coach has to stay. 7-5 and our coach stays. Not every season is the same. Sometimes a 5-7 season is a better coaching season than a 7-5 season.

The fact that nobody can say "Dino the head coach is great at this ______ and we can always count on it each and every Saturday" is a bad sign. Like if our offense is great and we are losing shootouts and it's an entertaining brand of football there would be less of an uproar from the fans.

I just don't want to be tied to some mythical number and that means our coach has to stay. 7-5 and our coach stays. Not every season is the same. Sometimes a 5-7 season is a better coaching season than a 7-5 season.

The fact that nobody can say "Dino the head coach is great at this ______ and we can always count on it each and every Saturday" is a bad sign. Like if our offense is great and we are losing shootouts and it's an entertaining brand of football there would be less of an uproar from the fans.

Exactly this……

The whole thread is misguided. The question isn't whether we have the talent, can get the talent, will ever get the talent. The question is, from what we have seen after 8 years, is Dino the guy that can get Syracuse to whatever level it can get to? We have had 8 years to make this judgment. The OP thinks this is as good as it could get. That this game by game mismanagement means little. That the lack of talent is not his fault. Heck, we should be happy with these results. Get em while you can. I have to think we can do better than not ever being competitive in a national game. If i thought the way the Op thought, I would never watch the team play another game.
How many years does it take some of these other power 5 teams to fire their head coach if he isn’t getting them over the top? Or at least consistent. I know from watching these last three games that we can’t compete against the big dogs in our conference but we are off by a lot more than I even thought. That kind of discrepancy should not be happening. We should be competitive with these teams every year and not be getting blown out. We fired coach p for winning 6 games a year and getting blow out more and more as his career was over with us…at least Gross realized there was a problem at that point and made a move after watching a bowl game no less….Gross doesn’t get a lot of credit but he did a lot more than people give him credit for btw….also I’d argue that coach p was a tad better than our current coach.

the premise of this thread is a bit silly, IMO. Are people demanding that SU competes for conference titles on the regular? I think that most would be happy with .500+ in the ACC (not unrealistic, considering the overall mediocrity of the conference) and 7-8 wins each year - IMO, this is attainable with a modest improvement in recruiting, and sound game management.

My point is there is talent, but we don’t have a guy to bring them here. So they go elsewhere.
I think we were on same page just lost in text translation

And mine too. And everyone elses.
Really, I didn't know everyone else agreed with you.

When P was recruiting well, we were only playing second fiddle to Penn St in the Northeast. Eventually we were competing and losing recruits to Rutgers, Pitt, West Virginia, hell we're even competing with Temple for recruits now.
Point is, back then we were a much more attractive option to those recruits in those areas. As we descended, and they ascended, we suddenly were splitting talent with a lot of suitors

Yep. In the 90s, we spent close to nothing on facilities while an arms race was underway. As everyone else got better training facilities, we became less attractive. While we’ve spent some money since then, we’re still behind most programs.

If the question is “why can’t we get top 25 classes like we did in 1994?”, the answer is other schools that were less attractive in 1994 are more attractive to recruits now.

We can cycle through coaches until the end of time - but a private school in the northeast is not going to become a power player in college football.

I said the end of P era. Records go back to 04. Not sure how old you are, but if you watched those teams, the overall talent level dropped markedly McNabb left.
I'm sure his classes from 1991to around 1998-99? probably were top 40. But many have tried to bring the talent in since then. All have failed.
McNabb had Michael Vick all but signed to take his place. Vick wanted to check with his mother, made a phone call - she wanted him to stay home. If he did what he wanted to do things would have been much different at the time in the SU football program.

I am chill you’re throwing out stupid hypotheticals haha. What if hypothetically we woke up tomorrow and Cuse canned Dino and signed Urban Meyer and every 5 star immediately committed to Cuse
Because they wouldn't - there's too much snow in Syracuse for elite talent, right Dr. Bill?

If you want to play we, Syracuse is #1 in snow accumulation 118 " avg every year.

I do think a better coach that showed some emotion and gameplannrd a bit smarter could at least contend a bit better with the same exact roster. This isn’t a d2 roster. It’s a middle tier d1 roster and we’re getting roasted by teams that we should be able to be competitive with.

I’m not saying we should be beating Clemson/UNC/Fl St, but we should be making them sweat. A better disciplined and schemed coach could do that with this exact roster.

That starts and ends with the HC. He has to take responsibility for the lack of success against legit teams and his abysmal ACC record over 8(!) years. We shouldn’t be discussing if a guy who’s 18-42 in conference play is getting a year 9 or not. It’s literally the definition of insanity.

I don’t care if he’s .500ish against “peer” teams the past 2 years, we’re just delaying the inevitable and might as well rip that bandaid off now vs 3-4 years from now when he’s 30-65* in ACC play.

*I didn’t do math to figure out what the record might be.

Ask yourself if Dino was a head coach at any, and I mean any, other P5 program would he still be the head coach? The answer is no. ADJW needs to do something or else this falls strictly on him and he'll be the next person I'd want to see go.

I don’t know why people are so terrified of moving on, should that be necessary.

So we may have a couple 4 or 5 win seasons as a new guy settles in instead of… maybe a couple 5 or 6 win seasons with Dino as the schedule gets harder in 25/26?

There’s more hesitancy to move on from Dino from this board than there is to move on from Belichick on the Pats board I visit.

Still waiting for what Dino does well as a coach? 1 non-PR coaching aspect that he is good at?
Ears balogna like a champ…wait sorry wrong coach.

McNabb had Michael Vick all but signed to take his place. Vick wanted to check with his mother, made a phone call - she wanted him to stay home. If he did what he wanted to do things would have been much different at the time in the SU football program.
Ray Rice too. The guys that were coming .. stopped coming

Let me see how the new schedule looks under the old one where we were in the tougher half of the league and then got Putt annually we simply weren’t going to contend even with good teams. If we get BC Stanford and Wake every year then rotate the rest maybe.

We aren’t as bad as the last 3 games. 2 of them started with the worst refereeing calls I’ve ever seen that pretty much cemented both losses in the first quarter. And our QB isn’t blameless for following up his dominant running performance against Purdue by spinning into a huge hit for no reason and getting his clock cleaned and playing awful since.

How many years does it take some of these other power 5 teams to fire their head coach if he isn’t getting them over the top? Or at least consistent. I know from watching these last three games that we can’t compete against the big dogs in our conference but we are off by a lot more than I even thought. That kind of discrepancy should not be happening. We should be competitive with these teams every year and not be getting blown out. We fired coach p for winning 6 games a year and getting blow out more and more as his career was over with us…at least Gross realized there was a problem at that point and made a move after watching a bowl game no less….Gross doesn’t get a lot of credit but he did a lot more than people give him credit for btw….also I’d argue that coach p was a tad better than our current coach.
Gross made no such decision. That was Nancy 100%