Does it matter that SU is missing out on NY's top prospects? | Syracusefan.com

Does it matter that SU is missing out on NY's top prospects?

I realize the local "paper" has no allegiances to the University - but c'mon.

The writer said it was even money that 4-5 star players become stars or embarrass the program? Embarrass? Lobdell didn't pan out - but that's a far cry from embarrassment.

They are not writing to make friends up there. Whew.

I realize the local "paper" has no allegiances to the University - but c'mon.

The writer said it was even money that 4-5 star players become stars or embarrass the program? Embarrass? Lobdell didn't pan out - but that's a far cry from embarrassment.

They are not writing to make friends up there. Whew.

I took the comment about embarrassing the program having to do with players arrested, suspended or involved in NCAA violations and I believe it's a valid comment.

"Six of those blue-chippers have made all-conference teams. Another six have been arrested either in college or soon after. Two have been implicated in NCAA violations and two others were suspended by their college at some point.
Over the past decade, if you land a top recruit from New York, you've got just about even odds that he'll be an impact player or embarrass your program"

Syracuse.com should be boycotted. Articles today include how much Delone will have to pay for fight several years and SU missing out on recruits. Rarely are there positive articles from any of their writers...

Rhodes was great and Collier was in a position to be great until whatever (grades?) got in the way. Sales was solid if not spectacular at times. Lobdell underwhelmed on the field but by all accounts was a great memebr of the SU family off of it and wasn't surrounded by great supporting talent or coaching for most of his career. Curious what Rob Moore could've done with a freshman Lobdell and how it may have turned out differently.

i was all ready to hammer the writer and CNYers in general, but i found nothing wrong with this piece.

just some facts.

that 1 guy totally misunderstood the success/embarrass point, which is well...embarrassing.

the problem Syracuse has is, nobody grows up wanting to play football at Syracuse like they do in the states with the big programs and their tier 2 programs.

the Dome, games at Giants Stadium and games up and down the East Coast should change that.

i was all ready to hammer the writer and CNYers in general, but i found nothing wrong with this piece.

just some facts.

that 1 guy totally misunderstood the success/embarrass point, which is well...embarrassing.

the problem Syracuse has is, nobody grows up wanting to play football at Syracuse like they do in the states with the big programs and their tier 2 programs.

the Dome, games at Giants Stadium and games up and down the East Coast should change that.

Liked you included the part about Giants Stadium. In ten years getting the top players from NYC will be the biggest win from this endeavor. Ages 8-12 are when you start watching football and getting a favorite team. And for most kids those are teams you are able to see on a regular basis.

just some facts.

I'm sorry for embarrassing the board by misreading something. Won't happen again. Just trying to be a fan on this board and share my take. Sorry it fell short this time...

I stand by the rest of my comments. It 1st bashes the SU for missing out and them follows up by saying they aren't very good anyways. It may be true - I'm not sure it's much of a story.

It 1st bashes the SU for missing out and them follows up by saying they aren't very good anyways. It may be true - I'm not sure it's much of a story.

That wasn't my impression from reading it. My impression is that we have missed out on some of the biggest prospects in NYS but does it really matter? I think he writes that almost exactly. I didn't take it as bashing SU at all.

That wasn't my impression from reading it. My impression is that we have missed out on some of the biggest prospects in NYS but does it really matter? I think he writes that almost exactly. I didn't take it as bashing SU at all.

You're probably right. I read it this am when I was in a pissy mood.

I'm not sure it's a "story" though. We didn't get some of the guys that were rated highly and got some that were ok.

It really only speaks to how poorly star ratings are at actually predicting anything. Especially in a traditionally less powerful FB state.

I'm sorry for embarrassing the board by misreading something. Won't happen again. Just trying to be a fan on this board and share my take. Sorry it fell short this time...

I stand by the rest of my comments. It 1st bashes the SU for missing out and them follows up by saying they aren't very good anyways. It may be true - I'm not sure it's much of a story.

hey i'm with you. it's almost always negative. seem like they go out of there way to write something negative even if it is true.

how about writing an article about how we were feeling 5 years ago at this time. no excitement, no hope, no hardnosed HCSS, NOTHING.

I think he is just referring to the fact NYS high school football stars (a smaller number than other large population states) have not produced. I think this is a result of New York having fewer 3 and 4 star recruits compared to other states with large populations. I think Marrone put it best when he said NYS produces great athletes that play multiple sports and they need to be redshirted and coached up to achieve their potential. Just my opinion...

I think we pull our fair share of NY players. Having the G-rob era really hurt us; all the top NY players went elsewhere. But now with Marrone and Shaeffer we have people wanting to play for us. I bet we have more NY players each year since G-rob left and I bet it grows more and more from here on out.

We should be happy to be in a envyable position. We are the premier team of the Northeast. Penn State is our only real competition and maybe BC a little in New England. We should have recruits locked up from New ENgland to Virginia within 5 years, I see only PSU and BC competing a little.

This ACC move really saved us and honestly it's the conferance I would have chose for SU anyway!

I think we pull our fair share of NY players. Having the G-rob era really hurt us; all the top NY players went elsewhere. But now with Marrone and Shaeffer we have people wanting to play for us. I bet we have more NY players each year since G-rob left and I bet it grows more and more from here on out.

We should be happy to be in a envyable position. We are the premier team of the Northeast. Penn State is our only real competition and maybe BC a little in New England. We should have recruits locked up from New ENgland to Virginia within 5 years, I see only PSU and BC competing a little.

This ACC move really saved us and honestly it's the conferance I would have chose for SU anyway!

Hogue, Collier, Lobdell, Williams, Sales were all pretty big in state gets.

Hogue, Collier, Lobdell, Williams, Sales were all pretty big in state gets.
...as were Reddish, Morgan and (hopefully) Wayne Williams when he arrives.

Here's the take away for me: there's a low % of athletes that make it to the NFL. The higher the star the higher the %, right? While generally speaking - that seems true - it's not that cut and dry. SEC teams get tons of highly touted guys from recruiting hot beds and a surprisingly low number make it. While we are pulling from a less hyped region, a smaller amount of recruits end up as 4-5 stars, with a corresponding lower % in the NFL.

Now, I don't have the stats/research to prove this - but given the hype on signing day, the endless SEC drum beat, you'd think nothing good comes through Syracuse, BC, Pitt - and from NY recruits. The perception is far out pacing the actual percentage.

If I were from NY and was a 4-5 star player - I'd see no downside to coming to Syracuse vs some of the big boys. Art and Chandler being exhibit 1 and 2.

How come Greg Paulus doesn't count in our ledger? When he decided to play football, it was Syracuse.