Donna Shalala named 2023 Syracuse Commencement Speaker | Syracusefan.com

Donna Shalala named 2023 Syracuse Commencement Speaker

Isn't this like her second or third time doing this, here?

Pretty sure she spoke at mine in 1995.

But I was extremely hungover so it could have been Bowzer from Sha Na Na and I wouldn't have known the difference.
Yup, she spoke in '95. I forgot everything she said the second she walked off the podium.

At least the Class of '23 has phones to fiddle around on this time. We weren't so lucky.

Isn't she a pretty big villain to us with SU being dumped at the altar by the ACC first time round when she was the face of conference realignment at the time?

Which chancellor nixed QB Colt Brennan from enrolling? Shalala or someone else?

Could someone explain what Donna Shalala did to deserve the negativity here? Or are you confusing her with Nancy Cantor?

Could someone explain what Donna Shalala did to deserve the negativity here? Or are you confusing her with Nancy Cantor?

When she was the Prez of Miami, she told the ACC that the only way Miami would leave the Big East to join the ACC would be if Syracuse and Boston College were also invited.

During the process, Va Tech's name came up, and the ACC insisted that SU and BC be left behind in favor of Miami and VT.

At the end of the day, Shalala caved.

Every athlete and every student who cares about athletics should walk out when she goes to the podium.
Huh? Why on Earth would they do that?

When she was the Prez of Miami, she told the ACC that the only way Miami would leave the Big East to join the ACC would be if Syracuse and Boston College were also invited.

During the process, Va Tech's name came up, and the ACC insisted that SU and BC be left behind in favor of Miami and VT.

At the end of the day, Shalala caved.
That's not entirely it, though. The VT addition came up while schools were voting on Miami, BC and SU.

IIRC, the vote for BC either failed, or was tabled. And a school switched a no vote to yes for VT. I recall people being stunned since there was not a league-wide, well-thought-out intention to add VT. It just kinda happened.

That's not entirely it, though. The VT addition came up while schools were voting on Miami, BC and SU.

IIRC, the vote for BC either failed, or was tabled. And a school switched a no vote to yes for VT. I recall people being stunned since there was not a league-wide, well-thought-out intention to add VT. It just kinda happened.

UVA switched due to pressure from Warner.

9 teams in the ACC at the time. Needed 7 votes to approve expansion.

Duke and UNC were nays.

The Virginia Governor got involved and pressured UVa to vote for Va Tech, otherwise the Commonwealth would divert funds from UVa to VT.

With the June 30 deadline approaching, the ACC proposed a new expansion plan of just Miami and Va Tech which was approved 7 votes to 2.

Shalala who swore Miami would only leave the BE if SU and BC came along, left anyways without us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom