Dont blame all the run blocking issues on the oline | Syracusefan.com

Dont blame all the run blocking issues on the oline

upperdeck

Living Legend
We scored to get to 21-10 got a 3 and out and got th ball back with an LSU D that was getting winded..

first down, we run Strickland on a semi sweep Pierce has inside position on the OLB. Oline slants right. RT turns the DE, RG can roll around him, backside LG/LT have walled off the backside, The MLB is unsure where the ball is.

upload_2017-9-29_10-43-46.png

Pierce missed the block, the RG should be cleared to kick out the safety for a huge gain or at worst the MLB for a 5-7 yd gain.

upload_2017-9-29_10-46-58.png

Instead Strickland has to cut back into the pile and it goes for 2.. Perfect play call goes for naught.. that has happened over and over this year.

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-29_10-46-14.png
    upload_2017-9-29_10-46-14.png
    877.1 KB · Views: 29
Followed by 3rd and 7 Dungey makes a read with no pressure and throws to Phillips when Pierce is wide open with bo MLB to get in his way and we punt on 3rd and 1 because we dont trust our oline to make a block when it matters. Drive lost with 3 perfect play calls

upload_2017-9-29_10-54-21.png

After watching Iowa State's running back last night, I really hope our freshmen and incoming recruits have more shift and explosion than our current top 2.

After watching Iowa State's running back last night, I really hope our freshmen and incoming recruits have more shift and explosion than our current top 2.

I think Pierre will be a good one and I think Jordan(maybe in two years not next year) is going to be great. Wouldn't mind a good grad transfer RB for next season. Just not one from a team on our schedule next year, please, so we can avoid that headache

Followed by 3rd and 7 Dungey makes a read with no pressure and throws to Phillips when Pierce is wide open with bo MLB to get in his way and we punt on 3rd and 1 because we dont trust our oline to make a block when it matters. Drive lost with 3 perfect play calls

View attachment 111486

On this 3rd and 7 is there a defender behind the score? Also, it isnt really fair from that screenshot because the defenders have already reacted a couple steps from Dungey looking at Phillips and then throwing the ball there. The defender between Pierce and Phillips was likely right between the both of them.

Pierce missed the block, the RG should be cleared to kick out the safety for a huge gain or at worst the MLB for a 5-7 yd gain.

View attachment 111483

Instead Strickland has to cut back into the pile and it goes for 2.. Perfect play call goes for naught.. that has happened over and over this year.

Or Strickland could've had better vision and bounced it out further to the right toward the sideline, around Pierce.

upload_2017-9-29_10-46-58.png

Last edited:
perhaps but then the RG has no angle on the safety and he is also 5 yds backwards to get outside.. if he was a quicker RB it might work, but he is a one move one move cut guy. if pierce kicks out the OLB he has a huge hole.. if Pierce pins the OLB inside then the RG can swing outside too. but he missed the block completely

On this 3rd and 7 is there a defender behind the score? Also, it isnt really fair from that screenshot because the defenders have already reacted a couple steps from Dungey looking at Phillips and then throwing the ball there. The defender between Pierce and Phillips was likely right between the both of them.
yes. and in fact before the ball is thrown had pierce gone to the open spot and not curled he probably runs for 10+

Pierce ran his route past the sticks Phillips did not.. I think this shows though Dungey Trusts 3/8 and then looks. he was going to Phillips the whole play.. Ish also had the first down depth. No pressure and 2 of the 3 ran the route needed..

yes. and in fact before the ball is thrown had pierce gone to the open spot and not curled he probably runs for 10+

Pierce ran his route past the sticks Phillips did not.. I think this shows though Dungey Trusts 3/8 and then looks. he was going to Phillips the whole play.. Ish also had the first down depth. No pressure and 2 of the 3 ran the route needed..

I'm not sure it has anything to do with trust. I think it has more to do with Dungey locking on to one guy and making the decision to throw it to that one guy, before scanning the whole field.

perhaps but then the RG has no angle on the safety and he is also 5 yds backwards to get outside.. if he was a quicker RB it might work, but he is a one move one move cut guy. if pierce kicks out the OLB he has a huge hole.. if Pierce pins the OLB inside then the RG can swing outside too. but he missed the block completely

I'd like to see the in between frame(s). In shot 1 Pierce is ahead of the line and in shot 2 he's behind it. How/why ?

Last edited:
Reactions: CIL
There is a someone behind the clock. Also that DT may have been in the throwing lane. He appears to be moving out of the lane to Pierce in that screenshot.

upload_2017-9-29_12-3-45.png

He got shoved back. just not strong enough to hold the spot. If he holds this block Strickland probably goes outside with only the safety to beat.

upload_2017-9-29_12-4-1.png

View attachment 111486

Couple things there is a defender right behind Pierce he is covered with the score and clock. It is a bad route combination. I think a better route for Pierce with what is going on the left side between Phillips and Ish would have been for Pierce to run a 10 yard post behind Phillips and Ish.

I'm amazed at how some people watch football and I don't mean it in a bad way. I can't see most of what you guys are talking about during any given play. You guys can break down the game and get really useful information. I watch games more like this...

giphy.gif

yes I agree if pierce runs instead of curls he has a huge amount of room. The issue is what the MLB does.. if he runs the slant route and the MLB does not move towards Phillips he has no room unless he gets 20 yds down field. he had 1-2 yds of space if the throw is on time.

View attachment 111489

He got shoved back. just not strong enough to hold the spot. If he holds this block Strickland probably goes outside with only the safety to beat.

View attachment 111490

I think this further illustrates that Strickland is not a very good running back or at minimum has terrible vision. He needs to recognize the DEnd is now inside and he should bounce it outside towards the sideline. Pierce at this point has the outside leverage to seal the end. Blow the frame up and look at Strickland's head to, he's staring STRAIGHT ahead. He's not seeing the advantage he actually has. (edit IDK maybe it's a bit much for me to want him to bounce it outside here and I understand things are happening quick to.)

How many yards did Strickland actually get on this play and who made the tackle (or the initial contact)?

Go watch Jawhar Jordan's videos. He has great vision and feel. The way he bounces outside or cuts back inside is what we need in a RB.

Last edited:
trying to help the oline pass block is killing the little running game we might have with our other RBs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom