Don't think about it, just do it | Syracusefan.com

Don't think about it, just do it

Pyle

All Conference
If anyone is thinking of upgrading your tickets this year and have a chance to get close to the field, don't think about it, just do it. I made my upgrade public knowledge this year as I was pretty excited. I have no regrets, not for a second. Here's why:

For starters, better food and drink selection in the first level. I sit by the Saranac vendor and up until this year I didn't even know there was one. Instead of having to choose between Bud, Bud lights, coors light and blue, I got to choose between Black Forest, White IPA, Christmas Seasonal, Adirondack Lager, Pale Ale, etc. For those who enjoy craft beers, the 1st level is the tits. They also have chicken fingers, onion rings, etc at that stand so double-bonus.

My kids got to shake Justin Pugh's hand. I don't remember the exact game, Wake maybe but I digress, point is I saw Justin and called out his name. He turned and looked, saw my kids and immediately came over to meet them. Not often your kids get to shake hands with someone in the NFL let alone a first round draft pick.

My girlfriend and I got to meet the star of the show the Arrow on CW. Stephen Amell is his name. I had no idea who he was, neither did my girl but her friend told us, and me having a few beers in me decided to have fun and called to him down on the field. Similar to Justin, he decided why not and came up into the stands to sit with us, talk about the show, and let us take pictures with him. Yeah sure, it wasn't Jack Nicholson or Denzel Washington but it was still pretty cool and has been a good holiday story to tell friends and family.

Had a chance to chat up the Baton girl. Not earth shattering by any means but kinda cool.

The atmosphere down close to the field is amazing. The crowd sounds louder, the dome looks bigger, the players look much bigger, and overall just a more electric atmosphere.

After the BC win, my kids and I got to slap hands with the players as they took their victory lap. One of the coolest things I've been a part of as a fan.

So there it is. One upgrade has already led to a season of great memories for both me and my boys. I won't even hesitate to lay that money down again when it's time to renew. I hope any of you considering an upgrade make the jump. It's been one of the best moves I've made as a fan and unless something opens up in the 2 rows in front of me, it's move I plan on making permanent for a very, very, long time.

If anyone is thinking of upgrading your tickets this year and have a chance to get close to the field, don't think about it, just do it. I made my upgrade public knowledge this year as I was pretty excited. I have no regrets, not for a second. Here's why:

For starters, better food and drink selection in the first level. I sit by the Saranac vendor and up until this year I didn't even know there was one. Instead of having to choose between Bud, Bud lights, coors light and blue, I got to choose between Black Forest, White IPA, Christmas Seasonal, Adirondack Lager, Pale Ale, etc. For those who enjoy craft beers, the 1st level is the tits. They also have chicken fingers, onion rings, etc at that stand so double-bonus.

My kids got to shake Justin Pugh's hand. I don't remember the exact game, Wake maybe but I digress, point is I saw Justin and called out his name. He turned and looked, saw my kids and immediately came over to meet them. Not often your kids get to shake hands with someone in the NFL let alone a first round draft pick.

My girlfriend and I got to meet the star of the show the Arrow on CW. Stephen Amell is his name. I had no idea who he was, neither did my girl but her friend told us, and me having a few beers in me decided to have fun and called to him down on the field. Similar to Justin, he decided why not and came up into the stands to sit with us, talk about the show, and let us take pictures with him. Yeah sure, it wasn't Jack Nicholson or Denzel Washington but it was still pretty cool and has been a good holiday story to tell friends and family.

Had a chance to chat up the Baton girl. Not earth shattering by any means but kinda cool.

The atmosphere down close to the field is amazing. The crowd sounds louder, the dome looks bigger, the players look much bigger, and overall just a more electric atmosphere.

After the BC win, my kids and I got to slap hands with the players as they took their victory lap. One of the coolest things I've been a part of as a fan.

So there it is. One upgrade has already led to a season of great memories for both me and my boys. I won't even hesitate to lay that money down again when it's time to renew. I hope any of you considering an upgrade make the jump. It's been one of the best moves I've made as a fan and unless something opens up in the 2 rows in front of me, it's move I plan on making permanent for a very, very, long time.

Interesting. Amell says he has been taking a road trip to Syracuse for 10 years. Appears to be a big SU fan.

1463022_539243129494292_1957859382_n.jpg

Amell with his friend Tim and Floyd Little

1424530_538793212872617_299541662_n.jpg

Appears to also be a big fan of Angry Otto...

1465402_538868056198466_886066434_n.jpg

This is what happens when you disrespect the SU end zone and Spruill is nearby...

Second this. Move down if you've been thinking about it. Best decision I made.

They also have Sam Adams on draft and in cans even at the regular Bud, Bud Light, Coors Water and Blue stands.

Crazy question - what happened to the original "Orange girl"? They introduced this week's baton twirler as the "new Orange girl". Is the other one on injured reserve, academic probation, early pro draft entry etc?

Glad it worked out for you and was worth it. Lower level definitely has a different vibe. But IMO, when it comes to actually viewing the game, the lower level is not very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Glad it worked out for you and was worth it. Lower level definitely has a different vibe. But IMO, when it comes to actually viewing the game, the lower level is not very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I honestly cannot argue this. What I've gained in atmosphere and excitement I have lost in ability to see plays develop. It's a trade off I'm happy to make as my main purpose for going to the dome is to be part of the atmosphere. I consider myself a very loud and uh...energetic fan. You all know I get a little worked up around here from time to time, you should have seen me at the game. I think I left teeth marks in the aluminum seat back.

I am wondering if they upgraded the beer options around the dome. My 4 season tickets are in section 328. They had a beer kiosk at the bottom of the steps to my section that offered 6 or 8 beers on tap including some nice craft beers. It was a beautiful sight and I am in Row C, so close I could almost order from our seats. :)

I honestly cannot argue this. What I've gained in atmosphere and excitement I have lost in ability to see plays develop. It's a trade off I'm happy to make as my main purpose for going to the dome is to be part of the atmosphere. I consider myself a very loud and uh...energetic fan. You all know I get a little worked up around here from time to time, you should have seen me at the game. I think I left teeth marks in the aluminum seat back.

Totally agree with bees about the difference in views between upstairs and downstairs seats, but I also agree with you about the difference in atmosphere and excitement between upstairs/downstairs. I was able to upgrade my seats this year to be able to get front row on the lower level--would have been great except for one thing-- it was on the visitor's side: jeezuz, what a difference in enthusiasm! A little too laid back on the visitor side--I'm an older guy but I certainly believe in standing and getting loud on 3rd downs. Very little of that on my current side of the field, from what I could see. Told the wife back to home side, even if we have to move back from the field a bit. Definitely a more electric feeling there.

Please share your find about the Saranac vendor: where? I was semi-ecstatic when I found a vendor who was selling Boston beers near my section--but I would be much happier supporting Saranac's great efforts.

Is that guy a Cuse alumni or just huge Cuse fan? Kinda cool was at game

I remember that guy at the game he was right on the field in front of us. I have to agree I sat up high for a bunch of years and the view was great but I have a much better time down near the field.

I sit in 328 ($99 per), and have the same exact beer selection as you, directly under my section. Glad you enjoy the upgrade, sounds like fun. The beer isn't better where you sit though.

I'm right under the Opposing Coach's Box in 301/2...we hired the Orange Girl to open cans of Utica Club and shot gun them into our mouths all game long...that is how we roll in the hardnosed area.

Totally agree with bees about the difference in views between upstairs and downstairs seats, but I also agree with you about the difference in atmosphere and excitement between upstairs/downstairs. I was able to upgrade my seats this year to be able to get front row on the lower level--would have been great except for one thing-- it was on the visitor's side: jeezuz, what a difference in enthusiasm! A little too laid back on the visitor side--I'm an older guy but I certainly believe in standing and getting loud on 3rd downs. Very little of that on my current side of the field, from what I could see. Told the wife back to home side, even if we have to move back from the field a bit. Definitely a more electric feeling there.

Please share your find about the Saranac vendor: where? I was semi-ecstatic when I found a vendor who was selling Boston beers near my section--but I would be much happier supporting Saranac's great efforts.

It's over by section 121/122. I was very happy to find it. Beers are $1 more than the domestics but I def don't mind.

I sit in 328 ($99 per), and have the same exact beer selection as you, directly under my section. Glad you enjoy the upgrade, sounds like fun. The beer isn't better where you sit though.

That's very cool. The Dome obviously decided to upgrade the beer selections this year although I may be off on the time. I don't remember Saranac or Sam Adams anywhere last year. Doesn't mean it wasn't there, just means I didn't see it.

We drink bear urine and unicorn blood in my section. You pretty boys can keep your fancy beers.

I moved from the SyracuseFan section down to 129 last season. I just wish that I could attend more games.

Great view from the SyracuseFan section, but love being closer to the action and I don't miss the climb.

It's over by section 121/122. I was very happy to find it. Beers are $1 more than the domestics but I def don't mind.

The dollar extra is money well spent! Thanks for the info!

That's very cool. The Dome obviously decided to upgrade the beer selections this year although I may be off on the time. I don't remember Saranac or Sam Adams anywhere last year. Doesn't mean it wasn't there, just means I didn't see it.
Basketball has had at least a dozen craft beers in section 118 for many years now. The dome upgraded the "saranac stand" you speak of behind 121/122 last year.

If anyone is thinking of upgrading your tickets this year and have a chance to get close to the field, don't think about it, just do it. I made my upgrade public knowledge this year as I was pretty excited. I have no regrets, not for a second.

Agree 1000%. I've had season seats in the 300 & the 100 levels. When I moved away from Syracuse, I realized it wouldn't be practical to have both sets going forward. It was a tough decision: better view of the game up top (and cheaper price), or better atmosphere (IMO) down low. I went with the 100 level seats, paid the extra money, and haven't regretted my decision.

Yes, you can see plays develop better upstairs, but the atmosphere down low -- being so close to those hard hits, the impact, the commotion on the sidelines, being able to actually hear the cheers, etc -- can't be duplicated. Ultimately, I reasoned that I could get a pretty close approximation of the 300 level experience watching at home on a top of the line HD television, but there's just no other way to duplicate the experience of being so close to the sideline. It's unique. It's special. I would have kicked myself if I gave up those seats.

I moved from the SyracuseFan section down to 129 last season. I just wish that I could attend more games.

Great view from the SyracuseFan section, but love being closer to the action and I don't miss the climb.
No. I found it on twitter. I sit in the famous 129.

129 is the correct answer (assuming the question is: where should I buy season tickets?)! It's one of the very few sideline sections that can be had without a sizeable donation. Although I donate, I'd hate to think that I would lose my seats if the day should come that I fail to do so. Also, it's on the 'Cuse side of the field, so you get to see HCSS work his coaching magic up close. If you're lucky enough to land aisle seats in 129 (especially in a low row), I'd recommend hanging on to those for dear life.

Pyle, where do you sit?

My girlfriend and I got to meet the star of the show the Arrow on CW. Stephen Amell is his name. I had no idea who he was, neither did my girl but her friend told us, and me having a few beers in me decided to have fun and called to him down on the field. Similar to Justin, he decided why not and came up into the stands to sit with us, talk about the show, and let us take pictures with him.

I love that show! Had no clue he was a fan. I did some digging after reading your story, and came upon this old blog post made by Stephen Amell (it's from 2011):

Heading east tomorrow morning for the 8th Annual ‘Cuse Road Trip. A road trip to Syracuse sounds peculiar, right? Not so. Road trips – any trips, really – are what you make of them. If you head to Augusta for The Masters with 3 buddies who spend all weekend texting their wives, that’d be awful. The ‘Cuse is a great trip because Tim (co-founder, co-captain, co-conspirator) and I embrace the quirks of Syracuse and meld them into tradition.

...(snip)...

Syracuse Football – They’re 1-6 during our trips, including one year when we saw a basketball game. (The basketball team was heavily favoured, proving, almost irrefutably, that we’re a direct jinx on the universities athletic programs. Maybe we should start supporting water polo just to see if we could cause a near-fatal drowning.) 1-6 is terrible. Last year the team showed signs of life before we rolled in for a Saturday night game. The Carrier Dome (more on it in a minute) was packed and lively. First play of the game, ‘Cuse had a wide-receiver streaking down the sideline. He was open. The quarterback missed him… We knew immediately. (They got destroyed.) This year it’s a Friday night matchup against 15th ranked West Virginia on ESPN. Maybe it’s our year?? Probably not, but maybe.

The Carrier Dome – Oddly located, poorly lit, terrible field turf, $5 beers… It’s heavenly. Tim upped his game big time this year by purchasing season seats in the first row for something like $180 bucks. I find this endlessly entertaining. Pretty sure they come with little cushions. Don’t hate everybody… Don’t hate.

I didn't want to quote the whole thing, so I just quoted a few choice bits. However, I'd encourage you to click on the link above and read the whole post if you're interested. He goes on to detail his entire routine during his 'Cuse trips, including their annual stopover in Batavia on the way, their "go to" hotel, and their experience at their favorite local bar (same bar, same spot, every year). Scroll down to "The 8th Annual." Check it out!

As a side note, we won that WVU game he would later attend, so maybe he's not the jinx he thought he was!

Glad you had such a fun time this season Pyle! I love reading stuff like this. The Dome is such a special place, and I think it's cool how much "our" seats mean to each of us fans. It's those little slivers of bleacher that "belong" to us and allow us to connect with our favorite team. I just wish I could attend more games! Since moving, I end up selling my ticket package to a fan online each year (usually keeping a game or two for myself). Still, it's always great to hear how much they enjoyed the seats, and how much fun they had at the games.

Last edited:
Basketball has had at least a dozen craft beers in section 118 for many years now. The dome upgraded the "saranac stand" you speak of behind 121/122 last year.

Guys I want to make an update to my tailgate guide on Cuse...can someone write 3 or 4 sentences on the craft beer/Saranac situation in the Dome? Thanks in advance. Just post it here...let others add to it and I'll condense and add to the guide

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom