Doom and Gloom | Syracusefan.com

Doom and Gloom

RichmondCuse

Walk On
I'm not even a generally optimistic guy, but the doom and gloom here regarding Ennis is insane. At this time last year, there wasn't ONE person on this board who thought Ennis was going to be so good this year. We expected growing pains and no one ever thought he'd be a 1 and done or even 2 and done for that matter. But it happened.

So have we learned nothing? Some here are suggesting that we are doomed because of KJo leading the team. Those people could be right, but it's just as possible that Joseph comes in here and is the surprise Freshman in the country. Lots of players thrive on being thrown into the fire. Some want the spotlight. From the few videos posted, it seems KJo could be that type of guy!

Joseph is our guy now. Ennis isn't. Let's look forward to the ride and hope he's got some surprises in store for us just as Ennis did!

You're right. Kaleb is our guy. And he's going to do wonderful things. It seems to set up exactly opposite as this year unfolded. Hot to Cold? Meet Cold to Hot.

And that's not a knock on this year's team.

My two reasons for doom and gloom:

1) I like Tyler Ennis and was looking forward to watching him play for my favorite team as a sophomore (and junior, and senior). In fact, I like most of these kids and enjoy watching them develop. That's one of the best aspects of college basketball and it's a shame when it's taken away.

2) With the benefit of a point guard who is a potential lottery pick, this team was borderline unwatchable. Historically inept on offense. Now we're effectively hitting the reset button with the most important position on the floor and probably rolling the dice with another freshman.

1) I like Tyler Ennis and was looking forward to watching him play for my favorite team as a sophomore (and junior, and senior). In fact, I like most of these kids and enjoy watching them develop. That's one of the best aspects of college basketball and it's a shame when it's taken away.

2) With the benefit of a point guard who is a potential lottery pick, this team was borderline unwatchable. Historically inept on offense. Now we're effectively hitting the reset button with the most important position on the floor and probably rolling the dice with another freshman.

G and Cooney will improve. So will all the freshman that sat someone always steps up. Joseph is uber talented. I wouldn't at all be surprised if we are having the same conversation next year about him. Our lead guard tends to be our strongest position lately, there's nothing to think that Kaleb isn't ready to take over, plus I think he will be a better scorer than Ennis. He is much more explosive in the dion/Flynn mode.

Just a thought - but maybe Ennis was a bigger contributor to our stagnant offense than people realize?

Point 1). Like most things, CBB is changing, like it or not. We as fans can only change with it and accept the way it is now, like it or not.
Point 2). There is always turnover. Nothing we can do about it, especially considering Point 1. The team will do fine, and since we are true Cuse fans, we will be fine and support them, no matter how many potholes are in the road. We are an elite program, and that won't change.

Just a thought - but maybe Ennis was a bigger contributor to our stagnant offense than people realize?

I can't wait for next year when people are complaining because Joseph is turning the ball over too much because he's out of control. Our pg's can't win.

True. I think he was, but I haven't wanted to beat that drum too much today.

Still, it's asking a lot of our next freshman point that he come in and do better. We'll see. Can't say I'm not excited to see what he can do.

G and Cooney will improve. So will all the freshman that sat someone always steps up. Joseph is uber talented. I wouldn't at all be surprised if we are having the same conversation next year about him. Our lead guard tends to be our strongest position lately, there's nothing to think that Kaleb isn't ready to take over, plus I think he will be a better scorer than Ennis. He is much more explosive in the dion/Flynn mode.

Strange as it sounds (after watching all those 38% shooting nights and 50-point games), I'm not sure scoring is what we need. Not from that position, anyway.

I'd like to see a lead guard who can run a pick-and-roll, feed the post (at least sometimes), and who can identify a teammate running his lane on a fast break and pass him the ball. Neither of our last two point guards has done those things well (Carter-Williams was OK with the first) and I believe that's related to experience more than talent.

1)Shooting guards that can't shoot.

2)Fair, solid player if used correctly. Horrible player to run your offense through. A small forward who never developed a 3 point shot and wasnt able to dribble drive. Teams figured him out.

Those were the 2 biggest reason our offense was awful.

No Fair next year.

Cooney as a Junior "should" shoot better.

Id be shocked if we aren't better offensively next year.

You're not generally optimistic but a freshman stepping in and being awesome is as likely as anything else because someone else did it last year?
Would love to meet the optimists in your life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom