Doug Marrone | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Doug Marrone

Why would anyone want Doug to have anything to do with Frans staff
His game plans were damn good when he was here. He also has a very good reputation for developing young OL. We probably could use help in both those areas.

As for Doug., he might like working close to his son, who is about to play his final year at Colgate.

His game plans were damn good when he was here. He also has a very good reputation for developing young OL. We probably could use help in both those areas.

As for Doug., he might like working close to his son, who is about to play his final year at Colgate.

If Marrone is coaching, he probably misses most of his son’s games. If he is not working he can probably make them all.

My only exposure to Doug was negative. I'm sure he's a good coach but would he be a good fit with Fran and his staff?
Does anyone outside of the football offices really know exactly what fits with Fran's staff. Fran came from Kirby Smart who came from Nick Saban. Is Doug's personality that different from Saban? It seems so far that Fran wants tireless workers. I don't know if Doug is that at this point. But we do know that Fran respects the program's past and Doug was part of our turnaround under Mac. If Doug was interested, I would think both could be professional enough to make it work. My guess is that Doug isn't interested.

Does anyone outside of the football offices really know exactly what fits with Fran's staff. Fran came from Kirby Smart who came from Nick Saban. Is Doug's personality that different from Saban? It seems so far that Fran wants tireless workers. I don't know if Doug is that at this point. But we do know that Fran respects the program's past and Doug was part of our turnaround under Mac. If Doug was interested, I would think both could be professional enough to make it work. My guess is that Doug isn't interested.
Agreed, and at this point in his coaching life I would not think Dougie would be interested in anything but watching his son and living of the millions he's accrued.

Fran wouldn't want him and Doug - well Doug is just fine where he is.

If Marrone is coaching, he probably misses most of his son’s games. If he is not working he can probably make them all.
I disagree.

If he is an analyst, which is what we are discussing, I don't see any reason he needs to be coaching during the games. In fact, he probably is expressly prohibited from coaching during games.

If Tom O'Brien gets the HC job at BC, I suspect this is moot regardless. And he might prefer to be an analyst for one of the SEC schools he has worked with in the past anyway.

Or he might just decide to retire and enjoy life. I would guess he has made enough money that he is already set for life.

I don't think Syracuse has ever hired an 'analyst' for football that is an ex HC with a ton of experience. It is something the big programs do. With Coach Brown in charge, it seems like he is doing things like the big boys. I suspect he will bring in an analyst or two. If he only brings in one, it should IMHO be someone who has been a DC for a long time, preferably in the ACC.

I disagree.

If he is an analyst, which is what we are discussing, I don't see any reason he needs to be coaching during the games. In fact, he probably is expressly prohibited from coaching during games.

If Tom O'Brien gets the HC job at BC, I suspect this is moot regardless. And he might prefer to be an analyst for one of the SEC schools he has worked with in the past anyway.

Or he might just decide to retire and enjoy life. I would guess he has made enough money that he is already set for life.

I don't think Syracuse has ever hired an 'analyst' for football that is an ex HC with a ton of experience. It is something the big programs do. With Coach Brown in charge, it seems like he is doing things like the big boys. I suspect he will bring in an analyst or two. If he only brings in one, it should IMHO be someone who has been a DC for a long time, preferably in the ACC.
I disagree as well. He won’t be doing any on field coaching at SU, we already have an O-line coach. Unless he is hired part time or with the stipulation he will be missing games, the expectation otherwise would be he is at the games, maybe up in the box.

It's not college football anymore. It's a lower level of pro football.
Not sure what this means. Pro football has no recruiting or transfer portal.

Doug isn't coming back.

I am a Marrone fan but the clamoring for a guy that was 25-25 will forever confuse me.

And here we go again. Doug Marrone is this boards version of Groundhog day. The only thing missing is Sonny and Cher " I've got you babe " playing in the background.

And here we go again. Doug Marrone is this boards version of Groundhog day. The only thing missing is Sonny and Cher " I've got you babe " playing in the background.
Holy boomer grandpa. Doug's 59 not 89. Younger than Curt Cignetti, I think the same as O'Brien.

Bring everyone back. Let's continually live in the past.
Doug, P, Donnie, Saban, Macky Jr, Dazzler, The Saltine Warrior , the Cannon and take the fing roof off!
Just give us back the Orangemen and remove the block S from the helmets

Last edited:
Bring everyone back. Let's continually live in the past.
Doug, P, Donnie, Saban, Macky Jr, Dazzler, The Saltine Warrior , the Cannon and take the fing roof off!
Concrete seats

Cous the Sonny and Cher reference was related to the movie Groundhog day(the song that played on Bill's alarm clock every morning). If you have not seen it, you should as it is a Bill Murray classic.
I don't appreciate Bill Murray as much as I used to. As far as Doug being a potential candidate for the BC job, I think it makes a lot of sense. BC recruiting is baked in the Catholic prep school network.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom