Down goes Purdue... #16 over #1 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Down goes Purdue... #16 over #1

Houston could easily be the next #1 out.

They are playing a good Auburn team in Birmingham without their best player at 100%. There other guard is dinged up too.

The way it's trending recently, there may be one of these every 5 years.

That's a good bet. One and done created a lot of parity. You now typically have elite OR experienced talent in the college basketball but not both at the same time. In a lot of ways, a great equalizer when you think back to days when you'd have seniors on teams that would have been 3rd year NBA players.

Interesting guy. He coached at SIX small upstate NY schools (and nowhere else) before being hired by FDU last May. Also, he has an BA in American Studies from Wesleyan (a seriously top school academically). Funny that a guy with that background would become a basketball lifer at a series of well-regarded schools not particularly known for athletics.

Anderson succeeded Tom Murphy at Hamilton, and even though it was DIV III Murphy put that program on the map as a basketball destination. He got the most out of local talent and coached the hell out of his players. Always thought he could coach at any level back then. Anderson stepped in after him and kept it going. Murphy is an assistant at Northeastern.

We should have made the tournament. What this shows is how more teams should be in because on any given day a team could lose no matter how great a regular season…just ask JB…or bud
That's an interesting takeaway but I don't think you should make the tournament just by existing.

Interesting guy. He coached at SIX small upstate NY schools (and nowhere else) before being hired by FDU last May. Also, he has an BA in American Studies from Wesleyan (a seriously top school academically). Funny that a guy with that background would become a basketball lifer at a series of well-regarded schools not particularly known for athletics.

The BA in American Studies from Wesleyan is the most interesting thing on his resume. Not something you typically see from basketball coaches.

Reactions: cto
Things I didn’t know until last night…

FDU competes in both Division 1 *and* Division 3. Their Teaneck campus has about 8,000 students and competes as the D1 Knights.

Their Florham Park campus, 30 miles away, has about 3,000 students and competes at the D3 Devils.

But they are not different schools (like Texas A&M and Texas A&M Corpus Christi), both are FDU. A truly weird set up.

FDU competes in both Division 1 *and* Division 3. Their Teaneck campus has about 8,000 students and competes as the D1 Knights.

Their Florham Park campus, 30 miles away, has about 3,000 students and competes at the D3 Devils.

But they are not different schools (like Texas A&M and Texas A&M Corpus Christi), both are FDU. A truly weird set up.
Another example: Johns Hopkins men and women's lacrosse play D1. All their other teams are D3.

Another example: Johns Hopkins men and women's lacrosse play D1. All their other teams are D3.
True… but that’s not entirely atypical per NCAA rules. My understanding is that a school is allowed to have one sport play up a level (or two) from all of the other sports they sponsor.

This is why there are a bunch of D2/D3 schools who play D1 hockey, for example.

The FDU thing is unique as far as I can tell.

The B10…. overrated…… huge surprise for me. A one time thing clearly. They’re never overrated as a conference year after year in CFB and increasingly in CBB too.

That conference is like the Dallas Cowboys at the start of every. single. year….. how everyone pegs them (not literally but maybe some of the media I guess) as Super Bowl contenders.

That's not that uncommon. RPI, Clarkson, St. Lawrence all have/had? D1 hockey. Hartwick used to have D1 soccer and women's water polo.

The B10…. overrated…… huge surprise for me. A one time thing clearly. They’re never overrated as a conference year after year in CFB and increasingly in CBB too.

That conference is like the Dallas Cowboys at the start of every. single. year….. how everyone pegs them (not literally but maybe some of the media I guess) as Super Bowl contenders.

The B1G and P12 are pretty bad at winning titles. If you go by what the conferences will look like in 2 years...

BBall
P10 teams will have ONE title in last 63 NCAATs (UCLA is leaving)
B1G teams will have TWO titles in the last 27 NCAATs (one thanks to Maryland)

FB
P10 teams will have TWO split titles in the last 45 years (USC is leaving)
B1G teams will have ONE title in the last 18 years.

The B12 was also pretty bad until the last 2 NCAATs (they were ONE over 31 and TWO over 57 prior). For FB they have TWO titles combined in the history of CFB and ONE in the last 84 years (thanks to BYU). Yet they think they will get a great TV contract.

Last edited:
True… but that’s not entirely atypical per NCAA rules. My understanding is that a school is allowed to have one sport play up a level (or two) from all of the other sports they sponsor.

This is why there are a bunch of D2/D3 schools who play D1 hockey, for example.

The FDU thing is unique as far as I can tell.

Each of a school's teams should be allowed to compete at the level most appropriate for them and in the conference that makes the most sense. putting every team in to the same division and conference just because are the same school is nonsense.

Each of a school's teams should be allowed to compete at the level most appropriate for them and in the conference that makes the most sense. putting every team in to the same division and conference just because are the same school is nonsense.
From an athletics department management standpoint, this would be very difficult I imagine. It’s one thing to have a team or two in a different conference, but trying to have enough staff continuity and relationships to schedule across a dozen or more would be a real challenge. That’s the reason why conferences existed in the first place.

And I don’t think having a school choose what level of institutional athletic commitment they want to have (D1 to NAIA) is a burden. I like that one program can play up, and I think that covers the outlier cases of, say, Hopkins lax or St. Cloud State hockey.

Fairleigh Dickinson takes out Purdue... go B1G
Purdue was one of my perennial bracket busters back when they were routinely top 20. Pitt and Gonzaga were my other ones.

The B1G and P12 are pretty bad at winning titles. If you go by what the conferences will look like in 2 years...

BBall

FB

The B12 was also pretty bad until the last 2 NCAATs (they were ONE over 31 and TWO over 57 prior). For FB they have TWO titles combined in the history of CFB and ONE in the last 84 years (thanks to BYU). Yet they think they will get a great TV contract.
Maryland shouldn’t count for the Big 10.

BBall

FB

As long as B1G alumni keep controlling the political world and financial world, B1G will keep sending most teams to playoff and tournament.

As long as B1G alumni keep controlling the political world and financial world, B1G will keep sending most teams to playoff and tournament.

Someone Reaction GIF

They don’t. Big 10 has1 (one!) title in 33 years.

HRE is crazy…

Is it that hard to follow? Teams currently in the B1G have 2 titles (Maryland is in the B1G). Yes, the conference didn't win that many, not what I said.

The P12 won a ton of titles because of UCLA. But UCLA is gone. So when you evaluate what is left over are you going to say, the P12 is awesome at BBall? Or are you going to say what is left over hasn't won a damn thing?

Good friend in Jersey was the coach of the Div 3 team for years...

That's not that uncommon. RPI, Clarkson, St. Lawrence all have/had? D1 hockey. Hartwick used to have D1 soccer and women's water polo.
Same with Union hockey. My nephew played for Div 1 Union, and in the Ivy league. Rest of school not Div 1 or in the Ivy.

Same with Union hockey. My nephew played for Div 1 Union, and in the Ivy league. Rest of school not Div 1 or in the Ivy.
Union is in the ECAC for hockey, not the Ivy League. It is their only D1 sport. They've actually won two D1 championships.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom