Draft Express(Givony) and ESPN(Ford) aren't high on Mali's Draft Prospects | Syracusefan.com

Draft Express(Givony) and ESPN(Ford) aren't high on Mali's Draft Prospects

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
The two guys who are the best in the business. Givony doesn't even have Mal in his top 100. Ford has him 78th. Both of these lists were updated this week.

By comparison, Lydon is the 42 best prospect on Ford's list and projected as a borderline lottery pick next year by Givony. Mal isn't even projected to be drafted next year by Givony.

The two guys who are the best in the business. Givony doesn't even have Mal in his top 100. Ford has him 78th. Both of these lists were updated this week.

By comparison, Lydon is the 42 best prospect on Ford's list and projected as a borderline lottery pick next year by Givony. Mal isn't even projected to be drafted next year by Givony.

I think Mal would be doing himself a disservice by declaring this year. But to not even be listed to be drafted next year, I mean...that has be an oversight, right? I think Mal is looking at somewhere in the 35-45 range if he were to declare this year and 15-20 next year, assuming his game continues to progress the way we think it will.

I think Mal would be doing himself a disservice by declaring this year. But to not even be listed to be drafted next year, I mean...that has be an oversight, right? I think Mal is looking at somewhere in the 35-45 range if he were to declare this year and 15-20 next year, assuming his game continues to progress the way we think it will.

Doubtful. He would have to play out of his mind at the combine. They both have scouted him all year if you follow those sites. Ford ranks 14 shooting guards ahead of him. I doubt he gets drafted this year if he declares, unless he just dominates at the combine. It wasn't like he dominated for us here this year. They both noted his inconsistency this year, and that's the biggest thing holding down his value. He shot 37% here this year.

Doubtful. He would have to play out of his mind at the combine. They both have scouted him all year if you follow those sites. Ford ranks 14 shooting guards ahead of him. I doubt he gets drafted this year if he declares, unless he just dominates at the combine. It wasn't like he dominated for us here this year. They both noted his inconsistency this year, and that's the biggest thing holding down his value. He shot 37% here this year.

Before he blew up against UVA in the 2nd half, he was downright awful the 3 1/2 games prior. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get drafted this year, but once you get past the 1st 5 or so picks in the 2nd rd, anything can happen. I believe if he comes back for a year, he'll make himself a lot of money.

I'm not sure there's a downside for him by checking it out and then coming back to school. What he learns about the process this year will help him whenever he chooses to go. Even if he goes this year, it's his life and he has to make his own decisions. I'd love to have him return but uncertainty is routine for SU and the kids that come here. However it plays out, it's a great time to be an SU fan.

I'm not sure there's a downside for him by checking it out and then coming back to school. What he learns about the process this year will help him whenever he chooses to go. Even if he goes this year, it's his life and he has to make his own decisions. I'd love to have him return but uncertainty is routine for SU and the kids that come here. However it plays out, it's a great time to be an SU fan.
Yep. With this new rule, it's only logical for any underclassman with even the slightest shot at the NBA to go through the process.
I can't figure out why a guy like Allonzo Trier at Arizona, for example (he recently announced he's returning to school), would not at least get evaluated.

These are the 14 shooting guards rated higher than Mal by Ford and Givony:

Hield
Furkan Korkaz
Grayson Allen
Malik Beasley
Caris Levert
Josh Hart
Isaiah Whitehead
Malcolm Brogdon
Patrick McCaw
Isaia Cordinier
Wayne Selden
Ron Baker
Sviatosla Mykhauliuk.

I think hes got enough raw talent that a team will roll the dice on him and draft him in the second round if he were to declare this year. But if your MR, What is the point of leaving then?

NBAdraft.bet has him just outside the lottery now when he wasn't even on their radar before the tournament. That's insane. No way are scouts and CMs stupid enough to draft a guy based off two weeks. Right? RIGHT?

Yep. With this new rule, it's only logical for any underclassman with even the slightest shot at the NBA to go through the process.
I can't figure out why a guy like Allonzo Trier at Arizona, for example (he recently announced he's returning to school), would not at least get evaluated.

I can't seem to find an answer anywhere, but I'm assuming these kids would have to pay their own way to the combine? That could be prohibitive to someone who isn't signing with an agent (since the agent either pays for the athlete to attend the combines or workouts, or the athlete pays for it with the signing bonus money they receive from the agent).

I agree though that if it isn't cost-prohibitive, why would you not participate? The rule change also allows for more practice time for the players with the coaches:

"The 50 players who earn invites to the NBA Combine will actually be able to work out more with their coaches until the event than other players. They will be permitted to work out 20 hours per week with coaches, as opposed to the eight-hour limits imposed on other players."

If anyone can find out whether or not the players have to pay their own way for these workouts, it'd be much-appreciated.

Grayson just announced he's returning to Duke. I always wonder after a long run are these frosh actually engaged in being students at Syracuse? If the answer is no, maybe their answer is made regardless of draft position. In other words, they are in peril of flunking out. I don't know how it works but I would think a long run in the tourney followed up by workouts to determine draft status doesn't exactly work well for someone trying to get to HBC for class on a daily basis.

I can't seem to find an answer anywhere, but I'm assuming these kids would have to pay their own way to the combine? That could be prohibitive to someone who isn't signing with an agent (since the agent either pays for the athlete to attend the combines or workouts, or the athlete pays for it with the signing bonus money they receive from the agent).

I agree though that if it isn't cost-prohibitive, why would you not participate? The rule change also allows for more practice time for the players with the coaches:

"The 50 players who earn invites to the NBA Combine will actually be able to work out more with their coaches until the event than other players. They will be permitted to work out 20 hours per week with coaches, as opposed to the eight-hour limits imposed on other players."

If anyone can find out whether or not the players have to pay their own way for these workouts, it'd be much-appreciated.

Another thing. 50 players? They invited 60 last year. Mal isn't even getting an invite if he declares if that's all they allow IMO.

Mal isn't even getting an invite if he declares if that's all they allow IMO.
so that's probably what he's waiting on right now - wonder if JB can pull strings for him

I wonder if playing SF has hurt his stock. Even more reason to come back next season and show what he can do at SG.
That's my thought about Mali and Lydon. They have both played out of position all year, so I don't think they have a) even approached their potential or b) shown any scouts enough to take a first round risk on them.

But they could both be All-ACC next year.

But they could both be All-ACC next year.
or could kill it in the combine/workouts this spring and not even need another season at all :noidea:

There is no doubt this kid is special. He has a beautiful shot and can get to the rim. Still needs to get much stronger which will help him finish at the basket. It would be sad to watch him leave this year. After speaking to his father in Houston his father assured me he was coming back. I put very little stock in that as I am not going to get the breaking story in Houston that Mali is leaving haha...but he was seemed very very serious when he said it. Lets hope he has the influence to keep his son on the track he is on to cash a huge check in a few years and not leave to soon and hope to cash a big check.

37% shooting will not cut it. The NBA will need to see has the skills to generate and finish efficient looks, if he is not going to be a specaility player (i.e 3+D) If you can't generate efficient looks against D1 talent the NBA will be wary.

There is no doubt this kid is special. He has a beautiful shot and can get to the rim. Still needs to get much stronger which will help him finish at the basket. It would be sad to watch him leave this year. After speaking to his father in Houston his father assured me he was coming back. I put very little stock in that as I am not going to get the breaking story in Houston that Mali is leaving haha...but he was seemed very very serious when he said it. Lets hope he has the influence to keep his son on the track he is on to cash a huge check in a few years and not leave to soon and hope to cash a big check.

He can get to the rim, but does not finish enough once there.

I've said it before that I can see Mal being a 4 year player for us. First of all, I love his game and think he can be successful in the NBA because of his strength, guile, and shotmaking. But I don't think NBA scouts are super excited about him. First, he's not explosively athletic, and second he's actually pretty old. I'm not sure his draft stock gets that much higher next year even if he has a stellar year for those two reasons. He'll get a shot at the league, but it might not be as a sure-thing first rounder.

MikeSU02 said:
And playing zone. I'm not trying to disparage JB, because his job is to win games, but playing zone and playing out of position isn't in Mal's best interest for his NBA prospects.

Stop with your logic. No place for that here! And for that matter, no place for thoughtful caveats where you clarify your intentions.

How can people take pot shots at you and bend your meaning if you keep doing that?

44cuse