Draymond Green NOT a Red fan | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Draymond Green NOT a Red fan

Bell isn't equipped nor is the team to going start running pin downs for him to come of the screen and shoot contested catch and shoot 3's. He doesn't move great off the ball, never has. NC st defense was abysmal in first half and much better in 2nd half. He had a great open looks and he made them which was great. Nobody will ever confuse Bell with JJ Reddick or Jordan Hawkins when it comes to working to get open for catch and shoot 3's

he doesn't move well off ball. Pretty cut and dry.
That all sounds bad until you consider what the alternative is (pointless dribbling, flops, and starling taking contested 19 footers)

First let me say that I was watching on my personal laptop while supposedly listening to class on my work computer. Felt like I saw Judah starting the action toward the basket on the side opposite of where Chris was stationed. If the hope is to get Chris’ guy to help, that’s not going to happen when he’s on the wrong side.

I notice these things because it’s how I play. Hope my guy helps so I can reposition myself to pop the open three.
You’re not exactly wrong. I thought Judah and JJ both went in a little bit of time to get mine mode in the second half. Judah shot a couple air balls that Cope cleaned up and JJ has zero left hand so he ended up firing the ball off the backboard with his right. That said NC State did a good job staying on bell in the second half. It benefitted Cope more than anyone.

I agree with Green in one aspect. You can’t just concede not getting your best shooter shots. You need to get creative and take advantage of his affect on the game. Use him on high ball screens, put him and JJ in action so the defense has to make a decision who to guard. Use Bell to set back screens and then screen Bell again coming off down screens. You should be able to get Brown some easy slips to the basket if he’s in screening for Bell. Just keeping him in the corner doesn’t force the defense to make any decisions. Unfortunately, you have to have a point guard who recognizes all these situations and get the ball to the open guy on time. That’s hard when your point guard has his head down dribbling the ball.

Well I agree with Draymond as I was thinking the same thing. I don’t get it either. They have to have some set plays to get him some looks. It makes no sense why he just always sits there covered on the wing. That’s fine sometimes when you just want to create space for others but why can’t we have some friggin movement, screens and pick and roll too? But very glad to get the win.
I thought the same thing. I wonder if we have any plays to free him up. If we don't we should make one or two.

Curious to read what plays people want us to run for Bell. I said this a few weeks ago, but he’s good at pop a shot. We tried to run some action for him early in the 2nd half and he missed pretty badly. He’s not Andy Rautins. He’s not going to make a lot coming off down screens on the move.
I really think if he practices doing it he can become good at it.

Curious to read what plays people want us to run for Bell. I said this a few weeks ago, but he’s good at pop a shot. We tried to run some action for him early in the 2nd half and he missed pretty badly. He’s not Andy Rautins. He’s not going to make a lot coming off down screens on the move.
This is what Draymond is missing because this was probably the first Syracuse game he’s seen this year. Maybe we could have set some back screens to get Bell flaring to the corner or something but Bell has never looked comfortable shooting on the move (though one of his 8 last night was coming off a down screen!)

Unfortunately the site that used to give you shot charts for college players is now behind a paywall but I suspect Bell isn’t particularly good outside of the corner either.

And I am fine with it if his main role here is to recruit but, if that is the case, I think we need someone else as an assistant or an older guy like Martelli in an "analyst" role for schematic and other in-game stuff that takes awhile to learn. Think it could really help Red.
Red is a 51 year old man who is the head coach of the 7th most winning basketball team of all time.

At one point in early in second half I watched Bell not move from corner for 5 or 6 possessions in a row.

Surely there is some type of off ball screen or action that could either free him or make NCST pay for not helping off him. Smdh

This is what Draymond is missing because this was probably the first Syracuse game he’s seen this year. Maybe we could have set some back screens to get Bell flaring to the corner or something but Bell has never looked comfortable shooting on the move (though one of his 8 last night was coming off a down screen!)

Unfortunately the site that used to give you shot charts for college players is now behind a paywall but I suspect Bell isn’t particularly good outside of the corner either.
I think his secondary point is that they obviously weren’t going to help off him, so you’d need to do something to counter to take advantage of the space he’s creating by hanging in the corner

Red is a 51 year old man who is the head coach of the 7th most winning basketball team of all time.

At one point in early in second half I watched Bell not move from corner for 5 or 6 possessions in a row.

Surely there is some type of off ball screen or action that could either free him or make NCST pay for not helping off him. Smdh
*5th winningest

These are all points for which red and bell need to grow from. Both of them. We aren’t happy with the second half lack of adjustments BUT we now can start manipulating some of the practices to adjust for that kind of defense. Whether this results in positive changes for this season who knows, but have to believe we won’t see that type of thing happen next season again. Could be wrong but again, growing pains and happy with the win.

And by his social media interaction last night it appears he’s also friends with Daddy.

That all sounds bad until you consider what the alternative is (pointless dribbling, flops, and starling taking contested 19 footers)
for sure, I don't disagree one bit with that. You don't like Iso ball with Mintz and or Starling? works great if you are a 6-8 wing that can score at all 3 levels. I mean Mintz is foul baiting which is his game, Starling who I feel has played very well the past few weeks takes too many difficult shots. Starling has bigger upside than Mintz though

The corner is Chris's spot but he can make them from anywhere behind the line.

2024-02-21_08-56-52.jpg

And I am fine with it if his main role here is to recruit but, if that is the case, I think we need someone else as an assistant or an older guy like Martelli in an "analyst" role for schematic and other in-game stuff that takes awhile to learn. Think it could really help Red.
Shouldn’t our HEAD COACH be able to draw up plays?

There was a podcast last week about Red's offensive philosophy. It appears a lot of people in this thread didn't listen to it.

And yes Straughn was brought in to partially help with offensive strategy.

We have some flaws on this team that can be corrected overall going forward. The pg is a ball stopper. Our best shooter can only catch and shoot. We have little inside game.

Last edited:
maybe mentioned somewhere...
vast majority of Bell's makes are simple catch and shoot from the wings - but there was one play last night later in the 1st half where it appeared we ran a play to get him a clean look from top of the key - tho not sure if that was improvised by Bell (if so, wow!) or a set play...

maybe mentioned somewhere...
vast majority of Bell's makes are simple catch and shoot from the wings - but there was one play last night later in the 1st half where it appeared we ran a play to get him a clean look from top of the key - tho not sure if that was improvised by Bell (if so, wow!) or a set play...
It's a set JB used to run for shooters in years past. He made it in the first half and the shot in the second half he took he missed badly. There's also an opportunity for Bell to hit the screener if the shot isn't there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom