Duke postgame thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Duke postgame thread

Coach should retire. He makes very little or no effort in recruiting which is instrumental in us losing out on so many top recruits. Over the years so many recruits say they hear from any of our assistant coaches regularly but when they mention other schools recruiting them they talk about their constant contact and relationship with the head coach. It is baffling how a once great basketball program with a rich history is allowed to struggle year after year and have difficulty getting top 75 recruits. We criticize the play of some of our players, but they are in over their heads going up against top players in the best conference and can look embarrassingly awful at times like yesterday. The AD need to step up and negotiate a graceful exit plan for coach. There is no way he should return next year or be allowed to leave when he wants to. Any great CEO with the low success rate of Boeheim over the past few years would be ousted at least 2 or 3 years ago. What is the fear? The program will go down even more if Boeheim isn't at the helm? Did Indiana, North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, UCLA all crumble when their great coaches retired?

The front court was an abomination last night. This game was lost in the summer when we didn’t even try to keep Swider or go after a legit forward.

And Edwards has regressed the past few games. His hands are terrible.
I’m not an Xs and Os guy, so I’d love to hear from someone who sees practice. What do they work on with Jesse?

Time and time again last night he’d get a pass in the paint and quickly be doubled. As far as I can recall he never passed out of the double team. Never.

Do they work on that with him? Is it even a concept in our offense? Does no one cut to him? Because someone has to be open.

I’m not an Xs and Os guy, so I’d love to hear from someone who sees practice. What do they work on with Jesse?

Time and time again last night he’d get a pass in the paint and quickly be doubled. As far as I can recall he never passed out of the double team. Never.

Do they work on that with him? Is it even a concept in our offense? Does no one cut to him? Because someone has to be open.
He’s not good enough to make those plays nor are other players in position to make it easier on him. They locked us down last night.

Can you imagine what season ticket renewals will be next year if JB returns and Mintz doesn’t? JB has to know a change is needed. If he doesn’t make the decision then his family or JW has to. This can’t continue another year. Last nights performance was embarrassing. JB knows it too. The question is when will he announce it? Will he wait until August or September to force the administration to hire from within or will JW take control and make the decision now? It makes sense for JB to come out and announce that the Wake Forest game will be his last home game. It will also allow his former players the opportunity to come to his last game. SU is already celebrating the twenty year NCAA Championship, along with Hak and GMAC’s Jersey celebration. It would be a great celebration and allow the community to honor JB’s amazing career. If he does this, he will be celebrated and a lot of the negative stuff would be forgotten.

It’s all about talent. Just watching the two teams warm up last night was startling. The difference in size, strength and athleticism was noticeable. I hate to say it, but it was a little embarrassing. I said earlier in the week that Duke is not a great three point shooting team but they have several players who can make them. Six made them last night. We talked all week about how good a rebounding team they were and it showed. They are also the best defensive team in the ACC. They are better defensively than Virginia. They dominated Virginia, but their 22, mostly careless turnovers was the difference, plus a brain lock from the officials at the end of the game. This is another young Duke team, without top five talent. Scheyer is doing a great job with this bunch. They are very well coached and they play hard. You can’t ask more from a first year coach.
Amazing how NC state managed to beat this Duke juggernaut by 25.

"you play like you practice..."
This program has had a massive lack of physicality, speed and intensity for most of the last decade.
CUSE cannot simulate in practice what they are going to see in a game both on offense and defense. Unlike 20 years ago, MANY more teams have the same or greater talent level than the CUSE. And they don't play the same D and run the same "pic and roll" like JB does...

Amazing how NC state managed to beat this Duke juggernaut by 25.
Yeah it’s like a bunch of our fans have not watched them at all this year. Between the zone and the offensive abomination that started with our inability to even catch the ball we made them look good.

I have no knowledge about this but how do we know JW hasn’t already worked out JBs exit? Perhaps its in motion but they want to do it on their terms, not ours.

We’ve been at our best when we’ve had a really good forward who can break down the defense. We don’t have one forward or 2 guard on this team who can penetrate and make a play and haven’t since Hughes was here. That is the biggest issue against the good defensive teams.

If he makes the pass quickly he’s okay at it. I think against uva he had 4 assists? Maybe different game, anyway. The longer he holds the ball or dribbles the more likely a negative outcome will happen. This isn’t a perfect correlation. He certainly has scored in the post after working with his back to the basket and 4+ dribbles, but too often it leads to a negative outcome. Often it seems like it’s in slow motion, just waiting for a weak pass out or off balance attempt (definitely strength related in many instances).

Last night was rough. But this year Jesse has mostly been quite good especially on the rebounds which is extremely critical for our team. The problem at times, too many times, is the play is erratic on the offensive end. Very wide range of possibilities there especially early in games.

I’ll take 14/10 on ANY team though.

I feel bad for the 31,000 who went last night.

Especially the students. They’re going to have like zero memorable games. Think they’ll be taking over arenas up and down the east coast when they’re working adults?
Even us working adults who experienced good to great Syracuse teams aren't taking over arenas up and down the east coast. SU is a regional school with it's alumni concentrated throughout the NE corridor. That's like saying USC alumni are going to take over arenas up and down the West Coast.

If he makes the pass quickly he’s okay at it. I think against uva he had 4 assists? Maybe different game, anyway. The longer he holds the ball or dribbles the more likely a negative outcome will happen. This isn’t a perfect correlation. He certainly has scored in the post after working with his back to the basket and 4+ dribbles, but too often it leads to a negative outcome. Often it seems like it’s in slow motion, just waiting for a weak pass out or off balance attempt (definitely strength related in many instances).

Last night was rough. But this year Jesse has mostly been quite good especially on the rebounds which is extremely critical for our team. The problem at times, too many times, is the play is erratic on the offensive end. Very wide range of possibilities there especially early in games.

I’ll take 14/10 on ANY team though.
Yep, I think the criticisms of Jesse can be overwrought. He’s a very good college Center.

But he’s flawed, like literally everyone else on the team. Imagine if he was paired with a very good PF?

Even us working adults who experienced good to great Syracuse teams aren't taking over arenas up and down the east coast. SU is a regional school with it's alumni concentrated throughout the NE corridor. That's like saying USC alumni are going to take over arenas up and down the West Coast.
I think you’re taking the “up and down the east coast” a bit too literally.

SU has an excellent traveling fan base, particularly given the size of the school. There aren’t too many eastern arenas where we don’t have a meaningful presence.

I’m not too worried about the current student body not supporting the program after they graduate. If we’re good again they will.

Chris Bell is the worst forward to ever be a starter for an entire season, at SU.

Joe Girard is the worst player to be a 4 year starter for SU.

Ridiculous that the program should’ve ever been in the situation where Chris Bell starts as a freshman or Joe Girard starts for 4 years.

Get some dogs in here.

Chris Bell is the worst forward to ever be a starter for an entire season, at SU.

Joe Girard is the worst player to be a 4 year starter for SU.

Ridiculous that the program should’ve ever been in the situation where Chris Bell starts as a freshman or Joe Girard starts for 4 years.

Get some dogs in here.
The list of 4 year starters in the JB era can’t be terribly long, right?

Please retire JB! If not, you should be fired because your program is a mess and will continue to be with you at the helm. Total embarrassment and schooled by a 35 yr old first year coach.

The list of 4 year starters in the JB era can’t be terribly long, right?
Because usually we had better veteran players to keep freshmen from starting. And if someone was good enough to start as a freshman, they were often good enough to go to the NBA early.

Because usually we had better veteran players to keep freshmen from starting. And if someone was good enough to start as a freshman, they were often good enough to go to the NBA early.
For sure. And in fairness to JG, he’s been surrounded by the worst collection of talent of a 4 year starter as well. Plus he was asked to play out of position for much of his first 3 years here.

Stick him on the teams of, say, the 4 year Brandon Triche era and I suspect he’d be a better player.

For sure. And in fairness to JG, he’s been surrounded by the worst collection of talent of a 4 year starter as well. Plus he was asked to play out of position for much of his first 3 years here.

Stick him on the teams of, say, the 4 year Brandon Triche era and I suspect he’d be a better player.
He’d be a better player….and he’d be coming off the bench.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom