Dungey's 94th ranked passer rating 3rd worst of post-McNabb Era | Syracusefan.com

Dungey's 94th ranked passer rating 3rd worst of post-McNabb Era

orangenirvana

Hall of Fame
Eric Dungey's 122.8 passer rating in 2017 ranks #94 in the country.

Of Syracuse's 18 "full-time" starting quarterbacks since 1999, only Cameron Dantley in 2008 (102.1 - 99th) and Perry Patterson in 2005 (93.1 - 100th) finished with a worse national ranking.

Dungey also finished 96th in yards per pass attempt - also third-worst.

I don't know what this means, exactly. I just found it interesting.

1. Troy Nunes (2000) - 134.5 (*22nd) / 8.9 ypa (*5th)
2. Troy Nunes (1999) - 134.9 (*24th) / 7.1 ypa (*50th)
3. Ryan Nassib (2012) - 143.3 (34th) / 8.0 ypa (23rd)
4. Eric Dungey (2016) - 138.2 (46th) / 7.5 ypa (49th)
5. Eric Dungey (2015) - 136.6 (47th) / 7.4 ypa (50th)
6. Greg Paulus (2009) - 132.6 (48th) / 7.1 ypa (61st)
7. RJ Anderson (2001) - 124.2 (*59th) / 7.8 ypa (*31st)
8. Ryan Nassib (2011) - 129.9 (61st) / 6.5 ypa (83rd)
9. RJ Anderson (2003) - 124.1 (63rd) / 7.0 ypa (58th)
10. Troy Nunes (2002) - 121.1 (64th) / 6.8 ypa (64th)
11. Andrew Robinson (2007) - 125.7 (65th) / 7.5 ypa (35th)
12. Ryan Nassib (2010) - 124.2 (72nd) / 6.5 ypa (83rd)
13. Perry Patterson (2004) - 113.0 (77th) / 6.4 ypa (78th)
14. Perry Patterson (2006) - 115.4 (77th) / 6.2 ypa (83rd)
15. Terrel Hunt (2013) - 117.6 (88th) / 6.0 ypa (94th)
16. Eric Dungey (2017) - 122.8 (94th) / 6.6 ypa (96th)
17. Cameron Dantley (2008) - 102.1 (99th) / 5.2 ypa (105th)
18. Perry Patterson (2005) - 93.1 (100th) / 5.5 ypa (97th)

* not enough pass attempts to officially qualify for national ranking

Are running stats included somewhere?

Also - every time I read these kind of stats I think “potential” ... I don’t know if it’s a different QB or if it’s just improvement next season, but if we’re givibg some of these teams major trouble and our QB play is leaving this much meat on the bone?

Future is bright.

Are running stats included somewhere?

Also - every time I read these kind of stats I think “potential” ... I don’t know if it’s a different QB or if it’s just improvement next season, but if we’re givibg some of these teams major trouble and our QB play is leaving this much meat on the bone?

Future is bright.
Dungey is 22nd among quarterbacks in rushing yards per attempt (4.2).

Rating is a bit of an overrated stat today - it rewards dink and dunks to boost completion percentage.

From Pro Football Focus:

“Quarterback A throws three straight passes, completing them each for three yards. Plugging three completions, nine yards, three attempts, zero touchdowns, and zero interceptions into the equation above, and you get a quarterback rating of 97.92, which is a very good rating.

Quarterback B throws three straight passes, the first two land incomplete, and the third is caught for a 30 yard gain. Putting those numbers into the equation, you get a quarterback rating of 71.53. In the first situation, the offense is now facing fourth down, where in the second the ball just went 30 yards down field.”

EPSN’s QBR is most likely a better system that is accessible for rankings (PFF is great, but subscription only - at one point I know Eric was top 10, I believe he was top 25-30 before injury). QBR has Eric at 31st, as it factors in runs, etc.

IMO, that’s probably correct. Eric has some passing limitations that were highlighted the first half of that Miami game. He can lock onto his presnap read too much, which can lock him into a receiver that may ultimately be covered. He doesn’t possess the best arm strength in the world, although some of that is really a back foot issue.

That being said, the second half of that game also illustrates why he CAN grade so well with more advanced analytics. He is a very dangerous runner and gives defensive coordinators fits because he can actually throw the ball when given time.

We definitely have left some meat on the bone in the passing game. He’s missed some open receivers this year, no doubt about it. That being said, we are also witnessing life without him, which is pretty bleak.

Another issue that isn’t discussed enough are the lack of true explosive playmakers in the offense. Last year’s receiving corps was far better than this years. Some of these QB’s benefit from players hat are threats to turn small plays into big ones. I’m not sure we have a guy like that on our roster right now.

Rating is a bit of an overrated stat today - it rewards dink and dunks to boost completion percentage.

From Pro Football Focus:

“Quarterback A throws three straight passes, completing them each for three yards. Plugging three completions, nine yards, three attempts, zero touchdowns, and zero interceptions into the equation above, and you get a quarterback rating of 97.92, which is a very good rating.

Quarterback B throws three straight passes, the first two land incomplete, and the third is caught for a 30 yard gain. Putting those numbers into the equation, you get a quarterback rating of 71.53. In the first situation, the offense is now facing fourth down, where in the second the ball just went 30 yards down field.”

EPSN’s QBR is most likely a better system that is accessible for rankings (PFF is great, but subscription only - at one point I know Eric was top 10, I believe he was top 25-30 before injury). QBR has Eric at 31st, as it factors in runs, etc.

IMO, that’s probably correct. Eric has some passing limitations that were highlighted the first half of that Miami game. He can lock onto his presnap read too much, which can lock him into a receiver that may ultimately be covered. He doesn’t possess the best arm strength in the world, although some of that is really a back foot issue.

That being said, the second half of that game also illustrates why he CAN grade so well with more advanced analytics. He is a very dangerous runner and gives defensive coordinators fits because he can actually throw the ball when given time.

We definitely have left some meat on the bone in the passing game. He’s missed some open receivers this year, no doubt about it. That being said, we are also witnessing life without him, which is pretty bleak.

Another issue that isn’t discussed enough are the lack of true explosive playmakers in the offense. Last year’s receiving corps was far better than this years. Some of these QB’s benefit from players hat are threats to turn small plays into big ones. I’m not sure we have a guy like that on our roster right now.
That's fair. QBR goes back to 2004. Funny seeing the disparity - using that rating, Dungey had the best season we've seen since then...

2004 - Patterson - 75th
2005 - Patterson - 109th
2006 - Patterson - 91st
2007 - Robinson - 105th
2008 - Dantley - 103rd
2009 - Paulus - 85th
2010 - Nassib - 95th
2011 - Nassib - 72nd
2012 - Nassib - 38th
2013 - Hunt - 61st
2014 - N/A
2015 - Dungey - 55th
2016 - Dungey - 47th
2017 - Dungey - 31st

The teams like Ok/WV/OK st have guys who turn 5 yd hitch in 70 yd TD. We get guys open but we seldom get something from nothing. When you can do that then the D has to play more honest, they have to worry about pressing up, they have to honor the deep ball. ISH considering the amount of Press coverage he gets is having a really good year. If he had that extra gear he would have crazy numbers.

The better athletes you have the bigger the throwing windows and the easier time the QBs have..

From Pro Football Focus:

I'd give my pinky toe for ART, Ish, Erv and Estime on this year's team.

NBA draft analysts disagree.
Lol. Quant guys/ gals will maintain you can measure everything if you set up the right parameters, regardless of the fact it may be a completely useless data point. I often laugh at some of the combined stats that get thrown around in sports nowadays to point out how rare something is, such as team X is the first team since 1931 to post 500 yards of offense and less than 24 points in a Thursday night game against a Big 10 team.

NBA draft analysts disagree.

I work in a stats dominated profession. That being said, there are difficult athletic traits to quantify. For instance, there are golfers that fare much better in stressful situations than their world rankings or suggestive statistics may suggest.

I’m sure some day we will be able to quantify how well players perform at certain heart rates, etc. IMO, that’s truly the “clutch” gene if there is such a thing. Just food for thought.

I’ve done my part to discuss this. Dungey is the only offensive player we have who is a true game changer. When your RBs and WRs are repeatedly run down by opposing Ds you know you lack explosive skill. We need speed, speed and more speed.

I work in a stats dominated profession. That being said, there are difficult athletic traits to quantify. For instance, there are golfers that fare much better in stressful situations than their world rankings or suggestive statistics may suggest.

I’m sure some day we will be able to quantify how well players perform at certain heart rates, etc. IMO, that’s truly the “clutch” gene if there is such a thing. Just food for thought.

There certainly is a clutch gene. Similar to a racehorse that only achieves its highest speed when put in a pack rather than running a solo lap.

I think the NHL playoffs show this more than any other sport. Most other pro playoffs reveal chokers vs the clutch.

I’ve done my part to discuss this. Dungey is the only offensive player we have who is a true game changer. When your RBs and WRs are repeatedly run down by opposing Ds you know you lack explosive skill. We need speed, speed and more speed.

Absolutely. Our WR’s really struggled to get any sort of separation against FSU, Miami, and Ville. We have to upgrade skill positions too.

I know we were awesome against Clemson, but part of that was our offensive game plan. One of the best I have ever seen in my 30 some odd years of being a Syracuse fan.

Absolutely. Our WR’s really struggled to get any sort of separation against FSU, Miami, and Ville. We have to upgrade skill positions too.

I know we were awesome against Clemson, but part of that was our offensive game plan. One of the best I have ever seen in my 30 some odd years of being a Syracuse fan.
What was different about what we did that game?

What was different about what we did that game?

Lots of motion and misdirection to take advantage of Clemson’s youth in the secondary. Clemson had never seen that on film (heck, we have never shown it either) and they were constantly misaligned all game.

Post of the year nominee. It’ll go largely unrecognized, but this was an all time great post. Exceptional pull!

44cuse

We all know it wasn’t Perry’s fault.

iluvmygrands told us so.

Interesting list. Still shows how far our offense needs to go to drive overall success.

Stats scmatts. All I know is when Eric gets hurt we fold as a team. Think the Miami gave definitely killed his rating though.

If were have to look at facts how about the fact that ED misses 1/4 of each of the past 3 seasons? If think he's a very good college QB but there is no doubt there has to be high quality back up qb's behind him next year.

From Pro Football Focus:

Your last point is dead on. We need an Etta, and I'd kill for a Delone Carter. Those 2 players would make our offense extremely difficult to stop. And honestly, that's why recruiting is so vital. We're only 1-2 players away from turning the corner on each side of the ball.

Lots of motion and misdirection to take advantage of Clemson’s youth in the secondary. Clemson had never seen that on film (heck, we have never shown it either) and they were constantly misaligned all game.
I don't think that Clemson had an answer for Ish. He was just better than their DB's.

Dungey is not a great passer. he focuses on the top two guys and misses open receivers, (although the low quality of the line is a factor there). Culpepper today showed a much stronger arm. Eric throws a catchable pass, but it's catchable for either side. Those first possession interceptions were awful. He's a decent college passer, a very good runner, (but not out of this world like Jackson), and tough, competitive kid and good leader that his teammates rally around. But outstanding passing is not in his repertoire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom