Dungey's 94th ranked passer rating 3rd worst of post-McNabb Era | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dungey's 94th ranked passer rating 3rd worst of post-McNabb Era

The pass protection today was great I think only 3 times they got through

Rating is a bit of an overrated stat today - it rewards dink and dunks to boost completion percentage.

From Pro Football Focus:

“Quarterback A throws three straight passes, completing them each for three yards. Plugging three completions, nine yards, three attempts, zero touchdowns, and zero interceptions into the equation above, and you get a quarterback rating of 97.92, which is a very good rating.

Quarterback B throws three straight passes, the first two land incomplete, and the third is caught for a 30 yard gain. Putting those numbers into the equation, you get a quarterback rating of 71.53. In the first situation, the offense is now facing fourth down, where in the second the ball just went 30 yards down field.”

EPSN’s QBR is most likely a better system that is accessible for rankings (PFF is great, but subscription only - at one point I know Eric was top 10, I believe he was top 25-30 before injury). QBR has Eric at 31st, as it factors in runs, etc.

IMO, that’s probably correct. Eric has some passing limitations that were highlighted the first half of that Miami game. He can lock onto his presnap read too much, which can lock him into a receiver that may ultimately be covered. He doesn’t possess the best arm strength in the world, although some of that is really a back foot issue.

That being said, the second half of that game also illustrates why he CAN grade so well with more advanced analytics. He is a very dangerous runner and gives defensive coordinators fits because he can actually throw the ball when given time.

We definitely have left some meat on the bone in the passing game. He’s missed some open receivers this year, no doubt about it. That being said, we are also witnessing life without him, which is pretty bleak.

Another issue that isn’t discussed enough are the lack of true explosive playmakers in the offense. Last year’s receiving corps was far better than this years. Some of these QB’s benefit from players hat are threats to turn small plays into big ones. I’m not sure we have a guy like that on our roster right now.

Well, looking at the numbers, Eric really regressed this year with his passing from the prior 2 seasons. If he doesn't turn that around, for whatever reason it happened, then DeVito (or Rex) deserves every shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom