Early Indicator... | Syracusefan.com

Early Indicator...

newmexicuse

All Conference
So many here wanted Frost and so many here don't want Ash. The bottom line is that nobody will know for several seasons how the new hire will work out. I remember everybody here loving Coach Robinson......nuff said. This is a big test for Coyle, let him work his process and give him the benefit of the doubt that he has done his homework correctly until proven otherwise.

However, there will be one early indicator, and that will be if the new guy has enough recruiting charisma to hold onto all of our commits and perhaps even to add a couple of highly rated new faces. In the end, x's and o's won't cut it if the new man can't upgrade the talent.

newmexicuse said:
So many here wanted Frost and so many here don't want Ash. The bottom line is that nobody will know for several seasons how the new hire will work out. I remember everybody here loving Coach Robinson...nuff said. This is a big test for Coyle, let him work his process and give him the benefit of the doubt that he has done his homework correctly until proven otherwise. However, there will be one early indicator, and that will be if the new guy has enough recruiting charisma to hold onto all of our commits and perhaps even to add a couple of highly rated new faces. In the end, x's and o's won't cut it if the new man can't upgrade the talent.

For he's the guy the next indicator will be who he hires for his offensive staff (esp the philosophy of the OC).

tep624 said:
I would say the buzz was very positive around George McDonald if I remember correctly as well.

I think with McDonald and Robinson there were a lot of people trying to talk themselves into buying the s*** that was sold to us. If anything that buzz has numbed me to what is clearly our MO. Our administration and trustees just don't seem to care.

We play in a freaking Dome. Just once I would love for SU to try to find and pay for a coach with an exciting and innovative offense.

We've been down this road before and I'm personally not going believe anything until I see it on game day. It just sucks that SU doesn't give a s*** about winning at football. Iowa State can somehow go out and get their first choice and had the will to pay for him. And we're bargain shopping. Can't wait to see what NFL tight end coach ends up as our OC.

Last edited:
I would say the buzz was very positive around George McDonald if I remember correctly as well.
Me too...but, contrary to the OP, there was outrage regarding the Grob hire.

I remember an 8th grade Bees was PISSED when we first hired Schwartwalder

I think with McDonald and Robinson there were a lot of people trying to talk themselves into buying the s*** that was sold to us. If anything that buzz has numbed me to what is clearly our MO. Our administration and trustees just don't seem to care.

We play in a freaking Dome. Just once I would love for SU to try to find and pay for a coach with an exciting and innovative offense.

We've been down this road before and I'm personally not going believe anything until I see it on game day. It just sucks that SU doesn't give a s*** about winning at football. Iowa State can somehow go out and get their first choice and had the will to pay for him. And we're bargain shopping. Can't wait to see what NFL tight end coach ends up as our OC.

I heard a rumor...

pariani_brian.jpg

For he's the guy the next indicator will be who he hires for his offensive staff (esp the philosophy of the OC).
Everybody here wants to install the high performance offense, and yes, that would bring lot's of excitement. However, high performance offenses aren't so high performance unless you have a well above average QB and fast talented receivers. Last year OSU won it all with a relative ground and pound O. Bama's titles were won more with D than with O. Out here in NM, the UNM program was simply horrible - similar to ours in the Coach Robinson days - maybe even worse if that was possible. They hired supposed has been Coach Davies, and using mostly a ground game O with a very medicore D they have managed to win 7 games this season and have turned it around in just three years.

Bottom line - there is more than one way to skin a cat, and I don't want to miss the forest for the trees - the forest being W's & not L's however it may be done.

We hired Coyle and we should put trust in him and his process to get us the right man, regardless of that man's "style", until such time as it is shown he has blown it. If you don't want to trust Coyle then start clamoring to get rid of him & not pick on some new guy who isn't even hired yet.

Me too...but, contrary to the OP, there was outrage regarding the Grob hire.

Scratch the "as well" then :D. I've tried to wipe the GROB experience completely from my mind so I don't even remember if people were positive about him or not.

newmexicuse said:
Everybody here wants to install the high performance offense, and yes, that would bring lot's of excitement. However, high performance offenses aren't so high performance unless you have a well above average QB and fast talented receivers. Last year OSU won it all with a relative ground and pound O. Bama's titles were won more with D than with O. Out here in NM, the UNM program was simply horrible - similar to ours in the Coach Robinson days - maybe even worse if that was possible. They hired supposed has been Coach Davies, and using mostly a ground game O with a very medicore D they have managed to win 7 games this season and have turned it around in just three years. Bottom line - there is more than one way to skin a cat, and I don't want to miss the forest for the trees - the forest being W's & not L's however it may be done. We hired Coyle and we should put trust in him and his process to get us the right man, regardless of that man's "style", until such time as it is shown he has blown it. If you don't want to trust Coyle then start clamoring to get rid of him & not pick on some new guy who isn't even hired yet.

Yes. Good QB play and WR play are things that are important in high powered offenses. Systems can take average talent and make it better. That's why we need a good OC with a proven philosophy if this is the guy.

I'll get back to my hopeful normal self and will talk myself into Coyle/Ash.

But to the OP - for me the first indicator is the offense staff hirings, not recruiting.

Baylor, TCU, Houston, Tulsa, etc. have shown that top Offensive Coaches can score tons of points with average

newmexicuse said:
Everybody here wants to install the high performance offense, and yes, that would bring lot's of excitement. However, high performance offenses aren't so high performance unless you have a well above average QB and fast talented receivers. Last year OSU won it all with a relative ground and pound O. Bama's titles were won more with D than with O. Out here in NM, the UNM program was simply horrible - similar to ours in the Coach Robinson days - maybe even worse if that was possible. They hired supposed has been Coach Davies, and using mostly a ground game O with a very medicore D they have managed to win 7 games this season and have turned it around in just three years. Bottom line - there is more than one way to skin a cat, and I don't want to miss the forest for the trees - the forest being W's & not L's however it may be done. We hired Coyle and we should put trust in him and his process to get us the right man, regardless of that man's "style", until such time as it is shown he has blown it. If you don't want to trust Coyle then start clamoring to get rid of him & not pick on some new guy who isn't even hired yet.

That's ridiculous. There are schools all over the country with 2 and 3 star QBs and WRs who light it up on offense.

That's ridiculous. There are schools all over the country with 2 and 3 star QBs and WRs who light it up on offense.
Two or three stars out of HS does not mean that those players can't be above average once they get to college. Thousand of examples......Look at Oklahoma's Mayfield - he is a friggin walk on !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom