Ennis to NBA per ESPN | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis to NBA per ESPN

Maybe but his product isn't where it needs to be.
Where it needs to be for what, though? His product appears to be plenty good to secure a 1st round selection and subsequent guaranteed contract. That's all that matters right now.

It's so funny. In the finance world if a stock is high, and you sell when it's high and make a bunch of money, and then the stock goes down people will line up to talk about how smart you were to sell when you did.

If you're a men's college basketball player though, and your stock is high people are mad if you sell, tell you how dumb you are, and then point out all the reasons why your stock should go down, which somehow makes the decision to sell dumb? It's weird.

Him needing some time in the weight room is really not a big deal. If he was coming back, would we have any reason to doubt he'd add some muscle in the offseason? No, because that's pretty easy. So now that he's going pro we think the NBA types are going to be scared off by the lack of muscle definition? As if he won't be able to add muscle before the next NBA season?

I think he made a good decision. Not because he is ready for the league or that he will be a good player down the road those things remain to be seen. Any college player is a property. Not unlike selling a home. Ennis is selling his home at a time when he has a good offer. Could he get a better offer next year possibly but i think everyone on this board knows that at best he improves his draft position by 5-10 positions. At worst he doesnt show improvement, other kids come onto the house for sale market and his value drops. Very good move by him which again has nothing to do with how he is going to end up playing in the NBA.

I think he made a good decision. Not because he is ready for the league or that he will be a good player down the road those things remain to be seen. Any college player is a property. Not unlike selling a home. Ennis is selling his home at a time when he has a good offer. Could he get a better offer next year possibly but i think everyone on this board knows that at best he improves his draft position by 5-10 positions. At worst he doesnt show improvement, other kids come onto the house for sale market and his value drops. Very good move by him which again has nothing to do with how he is going to end up playing in the NBA.
You get it.

anglerman said:
Ennis is an outstanding finisher and he is virtually I guardable. He got by his man or got his shot off at will. He's one of the smartest basketball players I've seen at any level and I think that many of you are underestimating that quality He's 18 years old for god sakes and no one can deny that he's the probably the best freshman point guard in the history of the school. He's a fantastic basketball player that I can say has been underestimated on this board since day one. Many of the all time greats were not amazing athletes They were very highly skilled very bright players Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and Pistol Pete to name just a few. Tyler is in that same mold. He's a very special player. One of the best to ever wear orange.

Are we talking about Tyler Ennis?

Ennis is an outstanding finisher and he is virtually I guardable. He got by his man or got his shot off at will. He's one of the smartest basketball players I've seen at any level and I think that many of you are underestimating that quality

He's 18 years old for god sakes and no one can deny that he's the probably the best freshman point guard in the history of the school. He's a fantastic basketball player that I can say has been underestimated on this board since day one. Many of the all time greats were not amazing athletes They were very highly skilled very bright players Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and Pistol Pete to name just a few. Tyler is in that same mold. He's a very special player. One of the best to ever wear orange.

Ennis is not an outstanding finisher.

Anyone who says Ennis is an outstanding finisher either doesn't know what he is looking at or didn't just sit through that 34-game season in which he missed over a quarter of his layup attempts (many of them open).

OttoMets, you're incorrect.

Ennis missed far more than a quarter of his layup attempts. According to ESPN's play-by-play, he missed more like 45% of his layup attempts. Of the 112 he attempted this year, he made 62.

55.4% on point-blank shots. But he's an outstanding finisher, right?

Last edited:
Are we talking about Tyler Ennis?

Lol, was thinking the same thing. I think all of the things that he mentioned are actually his weaknesses. He struggles finishing, struggles beating his man without a ball screen, and REALLY struggles to get his jumpshot off unless he's completely left open.

Personally, I can't help but compare him to MCW, who went 11th in a weaker draft.

To me, MCW projected as an elite defender, elite rebounder, and elite passer with elite court vision and above average athleticism with decent scoring instincts (but poor scoring ability). If he just becomes an average scorer, he'd probably be among the best PGs in the NBA.

With Ennis, he's an elite game-manager, but I think his passing and court vision is just average for an NBA PG. His rebounding ability won't be anything special at the next level. His defense will likely be poor. And while he struggles with his finishing ability like MCW did, he doesn't project to be someone that can ever be an above average finisher. He also struggles shooting the ball (not as much as MCW though), but worse than MCW, his shot is very slow, and so he pretty much needs to be wide open to get it off. That stuff works at the college level, but he has a far longer way to go to be a successful starting PG in the NBA than MCW did.

OttoMets, you're incorrect.

Ennis missed far more than a quarter of his layup attempts. According to ESPN's play-by-play, he missed more like 45% of his layup attempts. Of the 112 he attempted his year, he made 62.

55.4% on point-blank shots. But he's an outstanding finisher, right?

yeesh. Good thing he's "unguardable"!

Wow.
Anyone who wonders why Ennis decided to bolt, should just read through some of these posts...from his own "fans".
Another year at SU would've meant getting dissected and filleted for every missed shot or turnover, not to mention the lingering resentment over the Dayton loss.
He, like ANY teenager being offered millions of $$$ to do what they love, is making the right decision.
No amount of butthurt from haters will change that fact.
Good luck, Tyler- and thanks for the memories!

Wow.
Anyone who wonders why Ennis decided to bolt, should just read through some of these posts...from his own "fans".
Another year at SU would've meant getting dissected and filleted for every missed shot or turnover, not to mention the lingering resentment over the Dayton loss.
He, like ANY teenager being offered millions of $$$ to do what they love, is making the right decision.
No amount of butthurt from haters will change that fact.
Good luck, Tyler- and thanks for the memories!

When people say foolish things, there's every reason for some of us to correct the record. There's no desire to insult Ennis (from most of us, at least).

Yeah...I support the decision based on where hes projected to go. But the hyperbole from some people wrt his actual NBA skill set is out of control.

How do you know he wasn't going to improve and how do you know he's going to be a lottery pick?

Following your logic why does anyone stay in school past their frosh season? No one is growing 3 inches or improving that much so just leave ASAP, right?

The reason that he is valued where he is, is because of the fact that he is a steady point guard that can run a team and play under control. So no, I don't think that he would really be able to improve that aspect very much.

We're not talking about some 7 footer like Fab that was all potential with limited skill that needed to be developed. Tyler's game is what it is, sure he could've stayed and added 10 lbs and maybe shot 3% better from the field next year, but he is what he is.

I'd rather lift heavy in the NBA than rehab light.

we aren't the only ones to see the guy is skinny i don't think NBA teams are worried about guys getting bigger if they need to. that's the easy part. (i think steroids are a giant problem in the nba that no one thinks about)

I would bet that there is a higher percentage of NBA players using 'roids than MLB players. These guys are all freakin' huge now, especially if you compare them to 20 years ago during the Jordan era.

That has nothing to do with who's the better player. No relevance whatsoever.

It wasn't a comment about who the better player was, it was in response to "Despite this I think Tyler still excelled and actually did better than MCW did last year."

I would take MCW's season over Tyler's 10 times out of 10. He got his team to play better down the stretch whereas Tyler's team went from #1 in the country to spiraling the toilet with a horrible 3-6 finish. Granted there are/were differences in personnel between the two teams, but if a team is capable of winning 25 games in a row, it should be capable of posting a better record than 1-2 in the post season.

7-2 post season, runner up BE tourney, Final 4 vs. 1-2 post season, zero ACC tourney wins, loss to double digit seed in NCAAs.

I fail to see how Tyler 'actually did better than MCW last year'.

When people say foolish things, there's every reason for some of us to correct the record. There's no desire to insult Ennis (from most of us, at least).
Fair enough. But the premise behind "why" he "needs" to stay is what's flawed, IMO.
Are the same folks apoplectic when a Boris Becker, Tiger Woods, Sidney Crosby, Serena Williams, heck, even Justin Bieber :bang:, gets offered millions of $$$ as a teenager...by someone who thinks their talent has value? Or is it simply a question of self-interest masquerading as genuine concern? "He needs to work on his game" is really code for "SU needs him at PG next year & to hell with the millions being offered...we're more important than his family, his financial future, and anything else".
Bottomline, some franchise is willing to show him the money, just like they did Donte, Fab, and many others, SU players or not. Its how the game is played nowadays. Don't (literally) hate the player...hate the game.
Since that's the reality, whether we "think" he'll succeed or he's "ready" is totally irrelevant to this discussion. Someone apparently disagrees, and they're willing to put their money where their mouth is.

I would bet that there is a higher percentage of NBA players using 'roids than MLB players. These guys are all freakin' huge now, especially if you compare them to 20 years ago during the Jordan era.
it's ancient history but mourning went from celuck to godzilla overnight and then all his organs shut down. hmmmm

Fair enough. But the premise behind "why" he "needs" to stay is what's flawed, IMO.
Are the same folks apoplectic when a Boris Becker, Tiger Woods, Sidney Crosby, Serena Williams, heck, even Justin Bieber :bang:, gets offered millions of $$$ as a teenager...by someone who thinks their talent has value? Or is it simply a question of self-interest masquerading as genuine concern? "He needs to work on his game" is really code for "SU needs him at PG next year & to hell with the millions being offered...we're more important than his family, his financial future, and anything else".
Bottomline, some franchise is willing to show him the money, just like they did Donte, Fab, and many others, SU players or not. Its how the game is played nowadays. Don't (literally) hate the player...hate the game.
Since that's the reality, whether we "think" he'll succeed or he's "ready" is totally irrelevant to this discussion. Someone apparently disagrees, and they're willing to put their money where their mouth is.

To the last point, I think most outsiders would agree that Ennis's decision seems to have been made a little hastily and it's not certain that some GM's going to put his money where his mouth is. We'll know more about that in June.

As for the reasons why people are upset, I'm willing to guess those are all over the board. Mine are mostly self-interested, I'll grant that. They're probably a bit different than those expressed by others.

I've just never seen him as a long-term successful pro (for the reasons mentioned). I think this year is probably his best shot at being drafted as high as possible (though I think more time at Syracuse would give him a better shot to be ready to produce in the NBA). I don't know him or his family and can't pretend to know if this is a good life move for him, but I'm skeptical. That's cool, because it's not my decision and not my business anyway.

To the last point, I think most outsiders would agree that Ennis's decision seems to have been made a little hastily and it's not certain that some GM's going to put his money where his mouth is. We'll know more about that in June.

As for the reasons why people are upset, I'm willing to guess those are all over the board. Mine are mostly self-interested, I'll grant that. They're probably a bit different than those expressed by others.

I've just never seen him as a long-term successful pro (for the reasons mentioned). I think this year is probably his best shot at being drafted as high as possible (though I think more time at Syracuse would give him a better shot to be ready to produce in the NBA). I don't know him or his family and can't pretend to know if this is a good life move for him, but I'm skeptical. That's cool, because it's not my decision and not my business anyway.
Years ago if someone would've told me they wanted to sign Bieber to a contract, I probably would've laughed in their face...for reasons that should be obvious, right? To paraphrase: "I would've never seen him becoming a long-term successful pro...". ;)
However, I would've been wrong. The kid won't go down in history as an all-time musical great, but he had/has some value.
Most of the talent that folks take a flyer on don't end up succeeding. But Tyler Ennis having a 10+ year BASKETBALL future, in Europe & elsewhere, along with millions in the bank, is a much better scenario than if he returned to SU for a sophomore year... if for no other reason than that someone is willing to take the chance on him. Its a complete no-brainer, for him or anyone else who gets that opportunity.

yeesh. Good thing he's "unguardable"!
He is unguardable. I've never seen an SU guard get his shot off at will like he does anytime he wants to he get why my his man. Any one who says he struggled to get by his man wasn't watching. As for the finishing some make it sound like he he was shooting uncontested shots that's simply not the case The comments about point blank layup are ridiculous.

I got similar comments when I said he was a one and done player after the watching him in the Canadian exhibition games. Time will tell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom