EPL - January Transfer Window | Syracusefan.com

EPL - January Transfer Window

ROCcuse

2nd String
Discuss rumors, confirmed transfers, your team's needs, anything, here.

Dempsey has already signed on a two month long loan for Fulham. He wasn't named in Fulham's 18-man squad on Wednesday, probably due to lack of match sharpness

Supposedly Liverpool is close to landing Mohamed Salah from Basel. He's Egyptian and a very good winger.

Let's be honest most of the big deals done in January are pretty bad (looking at you Chelsea/Torres and Liverpool/Carroll)

Supposedly Liverpool is close to landing Mohamed Salah from Basel. He's Egyptian and a very good winger.

Let's be honest most of the big deals done in January are pretty bad (looking at you Chelsea/Torres and Liverpool/Carroll)

Not all of them see - Sturridge and Coutinho last year and Suarez in 2011.

I've seen Salah linked for awhile but I think it's mainly based on a team mate being quoted as saying he is 99% going t0 LFC. As always Chelsea of Spurs could swoop and outbid us but they are so packed in midfield there may not be a point to it.

Rodgers is tough to read but I assume we don't outbid cash rich for any big name guys so I'm looking at 25 y/o or younger players such as the Egyptian Magician (Adam Sandler anyone?), or some of the Ukranians. We inquired about Tello from Barca but seemed to have been rebuffed. Truthfully, I'll just be happy to have our injured players back and maybe add a defensive mid and/or attacking player.

Chelsea under the microscope from quite a few teams for Mata. I have no visions of Liverpool winning that bidding war if they allow him to leave BUT De Bruyne (whom I rate highly) and Bertrand (past interest) are 2 to watch for us while others chase Mata.

Alex Teixera from Shakhtar rumored to Man-U all I got...

Chelsea under the microscope from quite a few teams for Mata. I have no visions of Liverpool winning that bidding war if they allow him to leave BUT De Bruyne (whom I rate highly) and Bertrand (past interest) are 2 to watch for us while others chase Mata.

I think Chelsea's best attacking trio is Hazard, Oscar, and Schurrle. Although I finally saw the highlights from last game and Willian looked excellent. Maybe Mou would consider playing Schurrle as the 9 with Hazard, Oscar, Willian in support. Would be deadly

I think Chelsea's best attacking trio is Hazard, Oscar, and Schurrle. Although I finally saw the highlights from last game and Willian looked excellent. Maybe Mou would consider playing Schurrle as the 9 with Hazard, Oscar, Willian in support. Would be deadly

Yeah Willian... would've loved him in red but you guys swooped late. I do rate De Bruyne though and am curious if Bertrand is avail. He's played well in limited time for Chelsea IMO.

I'm not sold on Schurrle yet as far as fitting your system. I'm expecting Chelsea to bring in a true striker and see they have been linked w/ Diego Costa whom we almost signed last Summer. With his first half production and signing a contract extension though, he will not be cheap and you guys are walking a fine line with the FFP rules now in effect. You'll have to move players out to bring a big signing in.

Any transfers of note happen that I missed? As always rumors have been swirling but nothing of substance I have seen with any of the major EPL players.

Rakitskyi from Shakhtar could be on his way out to Everton. Not good for Everton IF TRUE. The guy is a big lug back there on D in my opinion very slow.

Yeah Willian... would've loved him in red but you guys swooped late. I do rate De Bruyne though and am curious if Bertrand is avail. He's played well in limited time for Chelsea IMO.

I'm not sold on Schurrle yet as far as fitting your system. I'm expecting Chelsea to bring in a true striker and see they have been linked w/ Diego Costa whom we almost signed last Summer. With his first half production and signing a contract extension though, he will not be cheap and you guys are walking a fine line with the FFP rules now in effect. You'll have to move players out to bring a big signing in.

Willian has been playing top notch and I don't think there's any way I could rate Schürrle ahead of him at this point. The Andre at the 9 option has been attempted before (1-1 draw @ ManU) and didn't show much of anything.

DeBruyne I rate extremely highly and would hate to see him leave. He's got the tools and would love to see his long vision back in the pivot, but his defense leaves something to be desired from a role further back the pitch. Bertie I could see leaving and not loose too much sleep over, though it would hurt our homegrown allotments.

Would hate to see Costa. As much of a head case and cancer as Balo is, he pales in comparison to what I've heard regarding Costa. I wouldn't be surprised if we finished the season with the trio we have (unless we move Ba and pick up some other third option). Jose has come out and said we're not doing anything with the strikers.

Only thing I see Chelsea moving on this period is possibly a new CDM/Pivot player. Links are strong to Guarin from Inter.

To be fair, I take everything Jose says with a grain of salt. He's well versed in hiding his intentions in and playing the media and you have to be to avoid bidding wars. I would be shocked if you don't bring in a strike option and show intent to win the league. With the miles of space your midfielders create you would really just need a competent poacher.

I've heard the same with costa, specifically in comparison to saurez. That being said, saurez seems to have figured it out and there is noone else in the world scoring on the level of those 2. It takes Ronaldo 2.5 times the shot attempts to match their production. I think strikers need to have a certain level of cockyness to succeed in the PL given the beatings they take from opposing defenders.

Agreed Chelsea could "use" another striker, and Jose is definitely a master manipulator, but there seems to be something he likes about that group.

With Costa, it's not the cockiness I'm concerned about, it's more the aggressive, red card waiting to happen nature that he plays with. It's like taming fire ala Balotelli. Undoubted quality though. And Suarez... god he's on a tear.

To be fair, I take everything Jose says with a grain of salt. He's well versed in hiding his intentions in and playing the media and you have to be to avoid bidding wars. I would be shocked if you don't bring in a strike option and show intent to win the league. With the miles of space your midfielders create you would really just need a competent poacher.

I've heard the same with costa, specifically in comparison to saurez. That being said, saurez seems to have figured it out and there is noone else in the world scoring on the level of those 2. It takes Ronaldo 2.5 times the shot attempts to match their production. I think strikers need to have a certain level of cockyness to succeed in the PL given the beatings they take from opposing defenders.

Chicharito would clean up playing CF at Chelsea. It boggles my mind that he barely gets games at Man U. The partnership with Rooney got them to the CL final in 2011. He's a beast.

Not the EPL, but this cracks me up. And save me all the talk about how Bayern is abusing their rival, because Dortmund had every chance to cash in on Lewandowski. Dortmund is an incredibly wealthy club, and they'll be just fine.
BdQlUQhCIAA63XL.png:large

Sunderland have signed Fiorentina and former Bolton left-back Marcos Alonso on a 6 month loan. Attacking full back that had 4 goals and a 2 assists in 26 appearances in the Championship in 2012/13 for Bolton. I expect them to line up Bardsley - O'Shea - Brown - Alonso when healthy.

Cardiff City have confirmed the signing of midfielder Magnus Wolff Eikram from the Dutch Heerenveen. Dunno much about him except he's expected to take the place of Peter Whittingham in Solskjaer's XI.

In summation, I can't wait for some more interesting moves to happen..

Chicharito would clean up playing CF at Chelsea. It boggles my mind that he barely gets games at Man U. The partnership with Rooney got them to the CL final in 2011. He's a beast.

I think hes damaged goods at this point and not sure what happened. Perhaps he was miffed over the rvp signing or perhaps a 2 year younger rooney made him look better than he is. He doesn't do much for the mexican nat. team does he? Man U doesn't really develope talent since they've bought for so long and now they aren't cash rich and their youth system doesn't have much.

If you're taking a man u player, not named rooney, I'd take a shot at Macheda. I thought he was their next big thing after some good early showings but hadn't heard a word about him since the rvp signing and they loaned hom out to Doncaster.

Not the EPL, but this cracks me up. And save me all the talk about how Bayern is abusing their rival, because Dortmund had every chance to cash in on Lewandowski. Dortmund is an incredibly wealthy club, and they'll be just fine.
BdQlUQhCIAA63XL.png:large

Second richest bundesliga team behind Bayern. They outbid us for a player In the summer. They have as much money as any PL team not named chelsea or city.

To be fair, Hernandez is the epitome of a classic poacher. With the Mexican squad, he doesn't have the options he would at ManU or a Chelsea/Arsenal/insert team with good attacking midfield here when playing with them. Hell, that may be half the issue with United and his drop in form and from the squad, as their high midfielders aren't doing a damn thing. He'd probably be a solid option with some service or layoffs and he was always good at judging back shoulder runs with his pace.

Demba Ba being tipped to leave Stamford Bridge. The dominoes starting to fall to bring Wayne Rooney in? Supposedly no offers for Mata yet but a couple in for De Bruyne.

Meanwhile Xabi Alanso reupped with Madrid so no chance of his return to Anfield but seems a lot of squads after Morata.

City being linked with Marco Rues now. All I can say is I hope not. Not sure how they'd fit him in but he is damn good.

Gunners rumored to be after Pedro but havent seen anything more on it. Have been focused towards work so havent kept up.

Is it me or do all the mexican nationals seem to look like they are about to take the world by fire and then quickly hit a plateau and fall off? I always thought dos santos in the bpl was far too big a step up for him but both vela and chicharito just stopped getting better and regressed and did so fairly quickly. Some of it might be due to their general lack of mental toughness as always seen by el tri but just seems odd how similarly it plays out.