Erv Out Several Weeks | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Erv Out Several Weeks

the last 2 years have seen many injuries to starters. but, we are not snake bitten. we just dont have depth. i cant remember any season ending injuries to our star players in the 90s, but many teams lose players for the season. its the cost of doing business. the issue is other teams have only a small step off from guy 1 to 2. we really only have a few players who are ready to play major college football, much less be a differece maker

Not if he's injured and he misses the rest of the season. And he still has a R/S year available.

We would have to petition the NCAA for that I believe, never a guarantee.

Orijinal and Javadoc:
I love Erv but I don't think he has better hands than Lewis. Many just assume this off remember the dropped TD pass last year. How many receptions have you seen Erv make beyond the line of scrimmage? Lewis has made a bunch of them. Also Lewis is a good athlete and with his height i'm sure can get up higher than Erv. He can go up and get it. He did quite a bit in his high school highlights. In my opinion those assuming Erv is a much better receiver are off base. No doubt Erv is shiftier and has higher top end speed and more versatile at the XB but few on the team can match him in those areas.

No doubt Estime would make a good XB but I understand why he is playing WR. You can get more snaps for both of them this way and we have some promising young talent at XB. Strickland, Perkins and Moe next year. If Erv is out for a while though I could see some snaps for Estime at XB but I expect to see him mostly at WR. Cornelius isn't exactly tearing it up yet either. He had some miscues last week.

Orange4 said:
I really feel like the staff should switch Estime and Lewis. Lewis is a natural receiver with good hands. Estime has already shown what he do with the ball and a little bit of space. Put Estime at Express Back he's too elusive not too.

I think Lewis is being used as a blocker and slot WR when he is in at XB. It shifts what you do from that spot - doesn't have to be a clone of Erv to be effective. I hope Strickland and Perkins have had good weeks at practice to go along with Lewis.

They have never turned down a medical hardship waiver for a player who was qualified (played in 4 games or less during the first half of the season and had a R/S year still available).

Exactly. He has a RS year available and played in 1 game. He will get a medical redshirt if he is unable to play the remainder of the season. The only guys that get turned down are ones that have already redshirted or have played in more contests than the rule dictates.

Okay, one of the responsibilities of the XBack is to block linebackers. You guys want Estime doing that instead of the bigger Lewis?

Exactly. He has a RS year available and played in 1 game. He will get a medical redshirt if he is unable to play the remainder of the season. The only guys that get turned down are ones that have already redshirted or have played in more contests than the rule dictates.

Sine Erv will be back after the bye week, we don't have to worry. ;)

Okay, one of the responsibilities of the XBack is to block linebackers. You guys want Estime doing that instead of the bigger Lewis?

No, but I don't want to see screens to Lewis either. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing and Estime is the best home-run threat on the team now, so it would make sense to give him some of the plays designed for Erv.

Erv said this was only a minor setback in a tweet yesterday before we learned he may be out for several weeks.

Oh my.

Lose tomorrow and it won't matter.

its a mistake if strickland is not the primary person in the mix---speed and athleticism---and desire

Erv said this was only a minor setback in a tweet yesterday before we learned he may be out for several weeks.

Oh my.

He had the surgery Tuesday.

He tweeted on Wednesday that it was minor and that he'd be back.

If he's not worried...

4-6 weeks on a miniscus is what my surgeon told me, also told me my tear was small enough that I could continue to play sports, then I blew my ACL 3 weeks later completely unrelated but in the same knee. Now I need surgery for both, :(
Bocce Ball is a rough game ;-)

OrangeXtreme said:
He had the surgery Tuesday. He tweeted on Wednesday that it was minor and that he'd be back. 642119553972047872 If he's not worried...

I worry.

I kept hearing that Estime and Broyld would be back every week last season.

It never seemed to happen.

I don't understand all the negative posting about losing games because one player is out. Erv is good but he is only one player and this is a team sport. I always have faith that SU can win any game even if it is only a 1% chance.

Atta boy, lol.

Erv is a loss, but I look to Strickland to make a few big plays. If Strickland had better grades more big schools would have been after him, he is a player.

Oh my.

And that clown on 1260 today was basically calling him a liar and saying the 'cuse is going to be brutal w/o him. Lindsly was Syracuse was going to be Brutal even before Irv got hurt.When I sat at a table with him(forced) and with him being drunk after consuming many beers,plus he drove there he was going off on how much he has always hated Syracuse Football. Maybe the guy thought he should have gotten on offer coming out of high school,Idon't know what he deal is,but he made it known.

It's a meniscus tear people! I had a meniscus tear. I gave the crutches one full day. I rehabbed on the bike, etc for two weeks and then was back running. And I was 50 when I did this.

Erv is a loss, but I look to Strickland to make a few big plays. If Strickland had better grades more big schools would have been after him, he is a player.
I agree completely. I think he's actually better than Irv

Are we the only fanbase that wins 3 games the previous year, lose our best/one of our best offensive players and then proclaim - this isn't a big deal, depth chart is loaded, next man up. So strange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom