ESPN-rules commitee boss shot is likely going from 35 to 30. | Syracusefan.com

ESPN-rules commitee boss shot is likely going from 35 to 30.

Reading Belmont HC Rick Byrd's quotes show the problem. Like Jay Bilas says these coaches with inferior talent don't want any changes to help the more talented teams.

I mean this guy is quoted as being against the change from 35 to 30 What and thank goodness enough coaches disagree. Byrd cares about protecting the small schools competitive chances rather than improving the actual quality of the game.

Last edited:
Reading Belmont HC Rick Byrd's quotes show the problem. Like Jay Bilas says these coaches with inferior talent don't want any changes to help the more talented teams.

I mean this guy is quoted as being against the change from 35 to 30 What and thank goodness enough coaches disagree. Byrd cares about protecting the small schools competitive chances rather than improving the actual quality of the game.

People can disagree. I'm not convinced that reducing the shot clock to :30 secs is going to have the desired effect. We may just end up with more missed shots and a few additional empty possessions per team each game.

IMO Eliminate the physical play if you want to do something that is more likely to improve offense.

People can disagree. I'm not convinced that reducing the shot clock to :30 secs is going to have the desired effect. We may just end up with more missed shots and a few additional empty possessions per team each game.

IMO Eliminate the physical play if you want to do something that is more likely to improve offense.
Atleast their will be more possession which allow for more shots. Now they could still be missed, but 5 seconds is a step in the right direction. It is also helps end of game comebacks w/38 seconds left you can play D down 2 or 3 points as 8 seconds is enough time to go length of the court whereas 3 seconds basically makes you have to foul.

This change is good for college basketball. I agree physicality has to be regulated as well.

pfister1 said:
People can disagree. I'm not convinced that reducing the shot clock to :30 secs is going to have the desired effect. We may just end up with more missed shots and a few additional empty possessions per team each game. IMO Eliminate the physical play if you want to do something that is more likely to improve offense.

This a thousand times.

Yep. 184.3% correct.

Can clock be added to the title after shot I guess my phone edited it out.

Agree 100%. That doesn't mean that a shorter shot clock won't have long term benefits, but the key is dissuading thug ball being rewarded. Reducing the shot clock by 5 seconds doesn't do that. Until NCAA basketball cleans that up, teams will continue to indiscriminately play basketbrawl.

This helps us however. It takes longer to beat a zone than a man to man. As far as making the game better, I don't see it. Just more missed shots.
Yes. Now play a soft press in the back court then drop quickly into the zone. One of those presses where it takes two lob passes to break it. This would eat up an additional 5 seconds. All of a sudden opponents would then have about 10 less seconds to break the zone than previously. That is massive. We won't do it but we should.

Yes. Now play a soft press in the back court then drop quickly into the zone. One of those presses where it takes two lob passes to break it. This would eat up an additional 5 seconds. All of a sudden opponents would then have about 10 less seconds to break the zone than previously. That is massive. We won't do it but we should.
Louisville will.

More possessions = higher chance the better team wins which we usually are.

dasher said:
This helps us however. It takes longer to beat a zone than a man to man. As far as making the game better, I don't see it. Just more missed shots.

And as JB has mentioned recently, less time for us to defend on the zone. Doubly good for us.

This worries me ... what will happen to the famous 34-chuck strategy we see all the time? 29-Chuck just doesn't sound right ;)

This worries me ... what will happen to the famous 34-chuck strategy we see all the time? 29-Chuck just doesn't sound right ;)

We're going to get blown out now! Teams always score on us when the shot clock gets below 5 seconds. I mean it's like 75% chance they are scoring. Well now that situation will happen all the more frequently every game.

30 is still too long. Go to 27 if 24 is too short. also move that stupid 3 point line back to the point that it actually takes real skill to hit one

And as JB has mentioned recently, less time for us to defend on the zone. Doubly good for us.
I agree, this should really help teams that play a good zone. When teams beat the zone, they tend to need more than 30 seconds to do it. Lots of possessions where that last pass with 2 or 3 seconds left on the clock make for an easy shot and 2 points.

This rule change will really help Syracuse.

This will probably help us right away, but in an ideal world (for the game as a whole) teams will just get into their offense faster.

Definitely agree this needs to be done in conjunction with cleaning up all the physical play, but I still think this is a step in the right direction.

This will probably help us right away, but in an ideal world (for the game as a whole) teams will just get into their offense faster.

Definitely agree this needs to be done in conjunction with cleaning up all the physical play, but I still think this is a step in the right direction.

Shot clock is the least of the problems. Louisville, Duke, and Pitt will still handcheck and bump cutters. Officials will allow it to happen. We will complain. There will be crap calls in the tournament next year as always that will help decide certain games and possibly even the National Champion. Unless Syracuse is playing I'm watching the NBA.