ESPN Top 100 College Basketball Players | Syracusefan.com

ESPN Top 100 College Basketball Players

It's garbage, purposeful and a joke by now. Rakeem Christmas will be one of the best defenders in the country. No matter what his offense brings, that should have counted for something, but same old story with these clowns. Just for "clicks".

Caris LeVert is the 13th best player in the nation? Yogi Ferrell 17th?

We have something none of them have: Boeheim.

No one on that list will ever have the experience of being Boeheimed(or even Bernied), so they will remain incomplete and not reach enlightenment.

Last edited:
Nothing against Frank Kaminsky, he is a really good college player but I can't take ESPN's rankings seriously if he is #1. And I mean Cooney has his struggles but he should have at least made it in 80-100 with the need for offensive production for SU.

I thought that was the list I saw Cooney at about 85.
Did not see TC on the list. He's not the 80s range. I still say Roc missing this and all the freshmen they have ahead of Hammer and Joseph is just plain silly land.

Last edited:
Am I missing something here, or was Syracuse completely shut out?

ESPN Top 100 College Basketball Players

I mean, I don't expect Syracuse to set the world on fire this season, but they're still a top-25 team. Not one guy? McCullough? Joseph?

I'm okay with that, we weren't even ranked despite Carmelo in November '02. I'm also okay with anything that gives this team a reason to believe they have to prove who they are.

That list also has a player who has never played a minute of college basketball as the #3 college basketball player in the country. Might he end up that good, who knows, but how can he be #3 when he has yet to play.

According to this list Wichita State and Wisconsin might as well play for the national title right now and save us all some stress and energy.

Cooney, Rak, McCullough and Joseph are better than half the players on this list. Not convinced half the guards listed would get play over Gbinije either.

Thank god success is measure by team play.

It seems weird, but they say it was based on projections and analyst opinion. There are a lot of upperclassman (something that Syracuse doesn't have a lot of), but I'm not sure what they're ranking. It's certainly not pure basketball talent or most important to the team or most interesting guys to watch for this season.

Lists like these at this time of year are worthless, other than to perhaps reinforce familiarity with the more noteworthy (I deliberately did not say "better") players for the upcoming season.

On the plus side, perhaps it is a tribute to our balance. And honestly, who on SU deserves to qualify right now, on a game-in, game-out basis?

Talking players, not teams, aside from Melo and to a lesser degree MCW, SU has had relatively less success producing NBA-quality players compared to how good our teams have been at the college level. IMHO. In short, our teams have been better than our players. So there may be some bias on the part of the writer there.

This List = ESPN = NCAA =
dHpQc.gif