Euro 2020 | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Euro 2020

They might get away with it but not a Southgate masterclass.

He set up way too defensive. I predicted it. Three attackers are not enough against Italy. England ceded possession for far too long of the game. It was like they were trying to run out the time from about the 20 minute mark of the game. Italy dominated for the better part of the next 100 minutes of time.

I have never been a fan of penalty kicks to decide a game of that magnitude. But I know the alternative is also bad because soccer games can go on forever.

Crazy spitballing idea: what if they played the second OT without goalies?

Isn’t Rashford Man U’s penalty taker?
My god that was brutal but the pressure had to be immense.

Both subs came in absolutely cold, and both missed their penalties.

I have never been a fan of penalty kicks to decide a game of that magnitude. But I know the alternative is also bad because soccer games can go on forever.

Having a game end from a chip at midfield is much worse than having a game end by PKs.

I mean, these guys can fire lasers even with a goalie playing a bit out. That Czech goal…

He set up way too defensive. I predicted it. Three attackers are not enough against Italy. England ceded possession for far too long of the game. It was like they were trying to run out the time from about the 20 minute mark of the game. Italy dominated for the better part of the next 100 minutes of time.

I thought Bob Bradley was in charge for a while. Couldn't believe how much they sat behind. I mean I could believe it but you get my drift.

It’s totally fair.
PKs are a lot of pressure.
It’s not easy.

5 in the back for a team like England is insane.
Southgate should have started one of Saka or Sancho.
England doesn’t need to play Jose Mourinho soccer to win games. I hate teams that play to win 1-0.

That's too radical an idea. You get 120 mins to decide a winner. Pk are more than fair.

When I was in high school, I think there were two sudden death over times, with less player on the field each round. It was a much different game playing 8 v 8 with that much space

Imagine if at the end of a basketball game, each player took 1 free throw.
Basketball is a different game.
If players ejected or fouled out caused teams in basketball to play a man down then maybe it would be the same thing.

PKs after 2 hours of soccer a fair way to decide a winner.

If players ejected or fouled out caused teams in basketball to play a man down then maybe it would be the same thing.

Yeah when you are a middie who is still playing after 120 minutes it's absolutely fair.

5 in the back for a team like England is insane.
Southgate should have started one of Saka or Sancho.
England doesn’t need to play Jose Mourinho soccer to win games. I hate teams that play to win 1-0.

I could even live with 5 at the back, if one of the 2 shielding midfielders was more offensive oriented. Swap out Declan Rice for Jack Grealish in the starting lineup, and that would have been a better game for England. I did think that Luke Shaw was tremendous for England. He and Kalvin Phillips of Leeds were probably England's 2 best players today.

But think of the pressure. Even your best FT shooters only get 1 try. You get to about the 4th or 5th guy on some teams, and it's very dicey whether they could make it. I think the drama would be great.

Yeah when you are a middie who is still playing after 120 minutes it's absolutely fair.
It's like in football if you decided that teams in ot had to play without a QB. Pks are fair sometimes you win some and sometimes you lose them. 94 World Cup was decided on pks and a brutal loss for Italy. Today it worked out.

Rashford should have been a go. I’ve never seen that approach from him. Overthought it.

Here’s the thing about PK selection (as a high school coach and nothing quite like this level, so take it with a grain of salt): you can practice these all day long. Only so much practice time and PKs aren’t all that common so throwing a chunk of a structured practice to penalties isn’t a top priority. You look for the players to stay after practice and work with the goalie(s). Now with that said, you can find a player that can hit 9/10 in practice. But you can’t replicate the stress of a late-game potential equalizer/GWG. That 9 out of 10 tries player may be fine in the first half or when the team is up a goal plus but crumbles under pressure… but there may be another player that is, say, 7/10 on average in practice but just feels nothing in a big spot and can place it no matter. It’s almost impossible to figure it out, at least at the high school level. I imagine the highest levels also find it difficult because PKs in a big spot aren’t all that common. For myself, by the time I can figure it out, the player is about to graduate. There just isn’t a lot of data to break down.

Anyway, I’m rambling. But that was a fun game and such a GREAT tournament. Sad that it is over.
Also coached HS, always let players that really wanted them go ahead. I’ve had some of my best players say I don’t want to in big games. It’s crazy pressure.

But think of the pressure. Even your best FT shooters only get 1 try. You get to about the 4th or 5th guy on some teams, and it's very dicey whether they could make it. I think the drama would be great.

It's a sport where goals are a tiny percentage of a game vs a sport where FTs are a large pct of the game. I think that in itself eliminates any comparison

It's not even close to the same thing.

I didn't say it was. It would be pretty cool to see, instead of overtime.
If you can't see that, then sorry for your lack of imagination.

Also coached HS, always let players that really wanted them go ahead. I’ve had some of my best players say I don’t want to in big games. It’s crazy pressure.

Yeah to me it had a lot to do with the game. If you didn't get a single look on goal it's a lot more pressure than if you spent all day in front of goal. Obviously that going alongside how you handle pressure in general.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom