Every now and then JB says something that really catches my eye... | Syracusefan.com

Every now and then JB says something that really catches my eye...

Dave85

Living Legend
I hope it works out if that is his strategy. Personally, I am not a lover of that approach and sometimes go nuts when we "do" put up too many three's. I'm obviously not in a position to know how good our team is as yet so I'll just let it play out for the first few games and see how it turns out.

I hope it works out if that is his strategy. Personally, I am not a lover of that approach and sometimes go nuts when we "do" put up too many three's. I'm obviously not in a position to know how good our team is as yet so I'll just let it play out for the first few games and see how it turns out.
Your avatar is perfect.
Tyler Lydon's game reminds me of Leo Rautins.
Nothing he can't do well.
And Leo is probably the best all-around player we've ever had...rivaled only by Billy Owens.
If Tyler is in any way comparable he's going to be great.

I've heard JB say many many many many things about players coming in which were very far from the truth.

I don't mind him saying it as it can boost morale and give us some hype but it doesn't mean much. ie. Fab Melo, Chris McCullough, Trevor Cooney and this list goes on.

I doubt Tyler is our "best" shooter but I'd wager he'll be in the top 3 for 3PT % this season.

two3zone said:
I've heard JB say many many many many things about players coming in which were very far from the truth. I don't mind him saying it as it can boost morale and give us some hype but it doesn't mean much. ie. Fab Melo, Chris McCullough, Trevor Cooney and this list goes on.

He was right about each one

I've heard JB say many many many many things about players coming in which were very far from the truth.

I don't mind him saying it as it can boost morale and give us some hype but it doesn't mean much. ie. Fab Melo, Chris McCullough, Trevor Cooney and this list goes on.

Eh, I disagree. His statements about players have proven to be accurate much more than they've been inaccurate.

Watching him shoot around tonight, I think he's got the purest/easiest release on the team. Everything about it is smooth. Not sure what the results will be this year, but it's easy to see he has a high ceiling.

Ummmm...Melo might have something to say about that.

Yeah Leo was a helluva passer but his defense and rebounding would keep him off any list of best all around SU players.

From CBS Sports Jon Rothstein (who was here locally watching practice last week)

CUSE.png
SYRACUSE ORANGE

Tyler Lydon will have a significant role as a freshman
He didn't arrive in Upstate New York with the same type of pedigree as fellow freshman Malachi Richardson -- who was a Top-30 recruit out of high school. But after watching the Orange practice earlier this week, it's clear that Lydon is going to be a major piece in Syracuse's puzzle during the upcoming season.

“He's a 6-9 forward who will play three positions and he will,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim told CBS Sports about Lydon. “He can really shoot the ball."

Deceptively tough, Lydon is an underrated offensive rebounder and can extend the defense from different angles. With the Orange thin up front aside from DaJuan Coleman and Chinonso Obokoh, look for Lydon to also log time in the middle of Syracuse's 2-3 zone on defense when neither of those two traditional big men are in the game. Boeheim said he hopes his team can attempt 25 or 30 three-point shots a game this season and that will be easier when Lydon is on the floor because of his ability to bring opposing big men away from the basket. This is one of the more under-the-radar freshman in the ACC and maybe the country.

I think Lydon is really lucky to have his experience with the younger USA teams. That experience is going to pay many dividends in the upcoming season. The SU 3s and 4s the next few years are going to more skilled than we've seen since Carmelo.

I'm excited to see how much better Cooney can be if Lydon and Malachi can hit some 3's...opposing teams haven't exactly made it easy for him the last 2yrs.
I don't think this can be said enough. Add in Kaleb's improved outside game, too.

Not to make excuses for Cooney, because he's missed some wide open shots as well, but it's SO hard for a shooter to get into any sort of rhythm when he's literally the only perimeter threat you have to worry about.

Of course, Trevor could help himself by driving to the rack a little more. If you don't make yourself a multidimensional threat, you make yourself very easy to guard. You at least have to make the defense respect the fact that you could drive if they get up too tight on you.

JB mentioned cooney shot 230 threes last year to Gbinijes 125 and somewhere around the same with fair only shooting 80 the year before. You wouldn't have known it from 3-4 of his summer videos, but he looked longer, and alittle quicker picking off those long passes in the exhibition game to me. He played like he was 6'5 out there vs 6'3 off the ball :)

Early prediction, This team is going to get alot of tipped balls. We have a long, long, long way to go learning the assist game though.

Last edited:

It's only too many threes when you aren't hitting a reasonable percentage.

Assists are going to play a huge part on this team. As will defense as we have a lot of scrappy length imo.

Would love to see us try this.
Here you have two triangles inside and out and have Gbinije as a true forward on offense guard on defense. Lots of height on the floor as well.
I know Gbinije shoots 40% from the 3 line, but he also handles the ball lower as a guard, and starts his drive 4 feet beyond the arc and takes a extra 2-3 dribbles in the lane at full speed blowing by his man like a SG.
What if he learned to keep his man between him and the rim Like Roberson does, and honor his dribble before losing it, slowing it down a bit, put his back into his man and raised his dribble some. Plus we have Kaleb as our isolation guy to help him this year he doesn't have to try to play point guard from so far out.
upload_2015-10-20_7-19-55.png

You got to attack the heart of the defense some. :noidea: Without any pressure on opponents bigs to get them into foul trouble they will play big minutes and attack our bigs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom