Extending the summer at the northside ballyard | Syracusefan.com

Extending the summer at the northside ballyard

SWC75

Bored Historian
Glorious day at the ballpark today. Warm but the best place to be in Syracuse on a hot day is the upper deck at the ballpark- there's always a breeze there. Visually beautiful day. I watched the Chiefs try to finish an odd year, (3-27 from May 16- June 14, 63-48 in the other games) with a win against the divisional champions and listened on the radio to the Mets take on the Nationals in Washington in a huge game.

The Chiefs got a 1-0 lead with a home run from Matt Skole. :)

The Mets took a 3-0 lead thanks to three home runs from Conforto, Johnson and Cespedes off Sherzer. :)

Jon Niese, for the third game in a row, imploded with a 5 run fourth inning, including a hanging curveball with the bases loaded that Ramos hit a mile. I have to listen to Howie Rose describe Niese's meltdown in the dugout. :(

Jake Cave (?) doubles and scores on a single to tie up the Chiefs game in the top of the 5th. :(

Granderson did the same for Mets in the same inning to make it 4-5. You have to answer a big inning and the Mets did. :)

d'Arnaud plates Cespedes with a sac fly to tie the Mets game at 5 in the 6th. :)

Ali Castillo (?) doubles home Cito Culver In the top of the 7th to give Scranton-WB the lead. :(

Scott Sizemore hit a two run shot in the bottom of the 7th to give the Chjefs back the lead. :)

The Mets take back the lead in the 7th as Wright singles home Tejada. Granderson scores on Murphy's sac fly. Wright comes around to score pumping his firsts, on a slide on Cespedes's double, making it 8-5 Mets. :)

S-WB gets down to their last strike in the top of the 9th but another Castillo double ties it. :(

Steven Lerud almost ends the season with a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 9th but the ball hits the wall in right and caroms right to the right fielder, who holds him to a single. He gets erased on a double play that sends us into extra innings. :(

Matt Skole hits it over everything to right field in the bottom of the 10th and a loud cheer goes up. But the plate umpire wants some more baseball and signals it was foul, a minority opinion.:(

S-WB scores in the top of the 11th on a triple by cave and a single by Castillo. :(

But the Chiefs rally to load the bases in the bottom of the 11th. Jason Martinson ties it with a walk that scores Lerud and the Emmanuel Burris slashes a single past the second basemen to win it for the Chiefs and gets a Gatorade bath for his efforts. :cool:

By the time I get back to the car, Jeurys Familia has stuck out the side, leaving Jayson Werth stranded on first, to win it for the Mets and pushed their lead back up to 5 games. :cool:

The first SU football game and the last Chiefs game, (typically the same weekend) are the psychological end of summer for me and I really didn't mind getting some "free baseball" with the game going into extra innings, (it was 2 for 1 day at the ballpark anyway). The next two months move the fastest of any time of year. It will be November before we know it. But I'll remember this day at the ballpark and still feel nice and warm. :):cool::p:D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom