Class of 2020 - F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24) | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24)

thats what I just said lol

a small forward without an outside shot, basically. did you misread my post??

2pt shots is inside in this era of basketball

go watch his villanova game highlights...all 2 pt shots...most close to the rim

i dont think he can play 4 or 5 in ACC with a ton of success...just too much lenght in this league...(but would love to be proven wrong)
Generally when people say someone "plays inside" they mean receiving the ball in the paint. Carry on.

People are really hung up on the definition of the word "emergency".

If he's playing 5 then we have a serious issue with our 3 players at that position (and probably Donnie too)
Yeah I'm going to plant a flag here that the only circumstance we see him gets minutes at the 5 is if he's out there with walk-ons in a blow out.

247:

"
Jyare Davis is a versatile forward who has spent the last three years at Delaware, and played a starring role in each of the last two. He averaged 17.1 points, 7.5 rebounds, 2.4 assists, and 1.6 stocks per game this past season while shooting 47% from the floor and 81% from the free-throw line.

He provides a versatile, inside-out, scoring threat who has a strong frame and physical style. He can operate with his back to the basket on the block or in the mid-post, where he goes right into contact. Davis is a threat to attack the rim off the bounce, or score over top of smaller defenders in the mid-range area. He also flashes a solid passing instinct, especially when cutters move for him on his post catches, with a 15% assist rate.

Davis shot just 25.6% from the three-point line last year, but shot a ball with good loft and decent touch when he had room and rhythm. He also converted 81% of his free-throws and had an effective field goal percentage of 53.6 in spot-up situations, so there is potential there, and if he becomes a more reliable floor-spacer it would help his game go to new levels.

Defensively, Davis is more four than three right now, with his physical strength, but he rebounds the ball plenty well enough for that spot."

Sounds like just what we needed to bolster the forward rotation.

He looks like a three-level scorer, (3 point percentage could be better and maybe it will be but he's got game from there). He and Lampkin both have the back-to the basket moves and are good passers. They could have have a great two many game inside, ala Arinze and Rick Jackson. I love the step-back. And he's got a pony tail, if you'd miss that without Maliq.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm going to plant a flag here that the only circumstance we see him gets minutes at the 5 is if he's out there with walk-ons in a blow out.
Or at least 4 players are unavailable due to injury or foul trouble.

We aren't winning any ACC games with Davis as our center.

Or at least 4 players are unavailable due to injury or foul trouble.

We aren't winning any ACC games with Davis as our center.
Good news is we have three centers on the team and if the other team has a 6’8” center we can play Davis, Freeman or even Westry and go small. Lost of options.

He’s eveything we lacked last year. High character, leader and tough kid who wants to be part of winning. I’m looking forward to see what his role is. Don’t be shocked if he plays a lot more than people think. Starting will not be out of the question. Freeman is really good, but the transition to college doesn’t always happen as quick as we think.

Mike Waters always does a really nice job with these player interviews.

One of the things that impressed me the most from that interview was how thoughtful and mature every one of Jyare's responses were. If he becomes one of the leaders on the team - I suspect he will be after watching that interview - that alone should make a big difference relative to what we saw this season.

The other thing was when he mentioned that the staff talked about their review of his analytics and what type of skill sets he could add to the roster. That should come as a surprise to some here who think they are recruiting primarily based on box scores.

Mike Waters always does a really nice job with these player interviews.

One of the things that impressed me the most from that interview was how thoughtful and mature every one of Jyare's responses were. If he becomes one of the leaders on the team - I suspect he will be after watching that interview - that alone should make a big difference relative to what we saw this season.

The other thing was when he mentioned that the staff talked about their review of his analytics and what type of skill sets he could add to the roster. That should come as a surprise to some here who think they are recruiting primarily based on box scores.
I thought he was very respectful with his comments about how McLeod’s injury was progressing. That’s a maturity that we don’t always see.

People are too hung up on positions and numbers. Positionless basketball is here to stay. Find the best guys who can: 1) score, 2) defend, 3) rebound, 4) pass, and can play smart basketball. That’s it.
I mostly agree, but being able defend the paint from powerful big men was a skill that the team was missing this year. We really need 6'9" and taller guys that can do that. I don't care if they are called forwards or centers.

I thought he was very respectful with his comments about how McLeod’s injury was progressing. That’s a maturity that we don’t always see.
When Mike asked Jyare who was the best player ever from Sanford High School, his immediate answer was not "Me!"

This kid gets it.

When Mike asked Jyare who was the best player ever from Sanford High School, his immediate answer was not "Me!"

This kid gets it.
I haven't watched yet, but did he say Trevor Cooney?

This kid gets it.
Walter Davis.