Class of 2020 - F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24) | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24)

I'm sure you or I wouldn't have handled it well when we were college aged either.

My tweets during college were cringey to look back on. Can't imagine if more people had eyes on it.
As college senior I probably would have as not only was I media trained, I was media ;)

A 6’7” emergency 5? That sounds very bad.

We had a 6’8 emergency starting 5 for the majority of this last season.

So yeah - you’re not wrong.

Given we’ve got 3 very tall large humans scheduled to play the 5, hopefully the only time we ever see Davis there, is when it’s a favorable matchup for us.

IMG_6016.jpeg

I really like this pickup as I see Jyare as an opposite type of player to Bell so that should give Autry more matchup options.

The risk here is, is JD an ACC caliber player ? I have to trust that the staff thinks so or they would not have offered.

Then I see why Maliq left.
So if Maliq is interested in Duke in a role where he will likely get less playing time, how does that make sense? I guess if you are enamored about wearing the Duke jersey, getting more cash, or being on a team that can legitimately play for a championship, it makes sense. However, it doesn't appear to be about playing time if he goes to Durham.

Whatever, I'm now all in on Jyare! Welcome aboard young man!

I feel like a lot of what he does isn't going to translate.

Watching his highlights, Davis looks really big. He bulls his way to success pretty frequently... But then you see that he's 6'7" 220. He isn't going to bull his way anywhere in the ACC.

He takes too many bad shots. I hate the off the dribble going backwards just inside the three point line prayers. He also isn't much of a shot e up shooter. Fortunately, he ain't be asked to take those shots at Syracuse.

Davis has decent handle, especial for a guy his size, but nothing spectacular. He didn't get usually get all the way to the basket. Instead he turns and backs his guy... Kind of reminded me of Billy Edelin with his below the basket over the shoulder dribble drive post up moves.

He sets a good pick, and receives the ball ready to score.

He is a pretty good passer, and in lesser leagues where he commanded a double team, he was good at finding the cutter to the basket. He ain't command double teams in the ACC.

I wonder if he'll be able to rebound in the ACC. I wonder if he'll be able to score.

I'm glad he's coming as a backup, because we didn't have one at all. He's still not really a PF in the ACC, imo.

Davis isn't going to replace Brown, maybe not even Carey, but he's better than nothing.
He's better than nothing???? High praise. Our coaches have watched a ton of film on the guy. If we don't trust them to make judgments on back up forwards, we might as well make a change right now.

So if Maliq is interested in Duke in a role where he will likely get less playing time, how does that make sense? I guess if you are enamored about wearing the Duke jersey, getting more cash, or being on a team that can legitimately play for a championship, it makes sense. However, it doesn't appear to be about playing time if he goes to Durham.

Jake said that his role this year would have been PF off the bench and spot minutes at C. After what he was for this team last year, would you hang around?

Don’t miss interpret this as saying the jumps are the same but this is essentially what Jyare is doing. Each kid has different motivations, we should focus on what we have rather dwell on what we lost.

So if Maliq is interested in Duke in a role where he will likely get less playing time, how does that make sense? I guess if you are enamored about wearing the Duke jersey, getting more cash, or being on a team that can legitimately play for a championship, it makes sense.
I think you answered your own question here.

I love this pickup for a number of reasons. He is a 22 year old who has produced at a lower level. Davis is willing to come here without a guarantee of starting. Doesn’t sound like it will cost a ton to get him. He is coming here looking to prove something. The role he is being asked to fill is very different from last year. He was at the top of the scouting report at Delaware. He will draw much less attention here and be more efficient. Great pickup for the role that was available.

Jake said that his role this year would have been PF off the bench and spot minutes at C. After what he was for this team last year, would you hang around?
Would you start him at C? Would you tell a 5* top-10 player sorry you're not starting? Would you take the only real established shooter out of the lineup?
The front court was always going to be a challenging proposition with Freeman and Brown both in the fold

Would you start him at C? Would you tell a 5* top-10 player sorry you're not starting? Would you take the only real established shooter out of the lineup?
The front court was always going to be a challenging proposition with Freeman and Brown both in the fold
Did I say anything about what he was told? My comment was strickly from what Maliq's or anybody in his position might have been thinking or feeling after that hinted conversation.

He's better than nothing???? High praise. Our coaches have watched a ton of film on the guy. If we don't trust them to make judgments on back up forwards, we might as well make a change right now.
Fair enough. Usually I see things I like when I watch highlights. With Davis, I saw a bunch of stuff that we actively don't want guys to do, or stuff I don't think will work at Syracuse.

That said, he's a backup, we didn't have one, and I'd much rather have a super senior who averaged 17-7 last year than a lightly recruited guy out of high school.

I'll keep my concerns to myself from now on.

Fair enough. Usually I see things I like when I watch highlights. With Davis, I saw a bunch of stuff that we actively don't want guys to do, or stuff I don't think will work at Syracuse.

That said, he's a backup, we didn't have one, and I'd much rather have a super senior who averaged 17-7 last year than a lightly recruited guy out of high school.

No Please give your opinions. I just think you were a bit harsh on a kid that is, hopefully, going to be a back up for us.

Shot selection and tendencies when you are a primary option tend to be more problematic than when a complementary piece. He plays hard and makes plays on both ends while being a really physical player. He also won’t be going up constantly against Cs all year which should help too.

No Please give your opinions. I just think you were a bit harsh on a kid that is, hopefully, going to be a back up for us.
Yup, a far cry from my normal pollyanna view.

The coaches know way more about basketball than I do, and they think he can help. I think Lampkin, Freeman and Bell will be good to great, so Davis doesn't need to be any kind of savior. If he can effectively backup two positions for 20-25 a game, he will have proven me wrong.

I think we still need a little more depth, as we have only three forwards right now, and a three guard lineup is great as a matchup creator. It's not so great when you don't have enough guys too play any other way.

For those keeping track here. Davis essentially fills the role we wanted Maliq to play next year. Solid backup 4…emergency 5.
backup 5 ? what are you smoking?

6' 7" might be too small for PF, let alone center

not saying he cant succeed...but NOT at center.

i see him as a 3 who plays inside

Great pickup for the role that was available.
i mean, I agree but I would hope that none of this is pre-defined but simply based on performance.

and that roles morph to match how the players are actually playing as much as possible

(which, imo, didnt really happen enough in red's first year)

i see him as a 3 who plays inside
Then you might be disappointed - Only 40% of his attempts last season came at the rim, and he shot 61% on those (similar to Starling, for comparison). And that was against smaller competition than he'll face in the ACC.

I see Davis's offensive potential as a driver who picks up fouls at a decent rate to take advantage of his good FT shooting. He can't be trusted to hit threes, but he can hit in the midrange, which could be helpful in pulling secondary defenders away from Lampkin and Freeman.

He is not at all big enough to play the 4, let alone the 5.

Then you might be disappointed - Only 40% of his attempts last season came at the rim, and he shot 61% on those (similar to Starling, for comparison). And that was against smaller competition than he'll face in the ACC.

I see Davis's offensive potential as a driver who picks up fouls at a decent rate to take advantage of his good FT shooting. He can't be trusted to hit threes, but he can hit in the midrange, which could be helpful in pulling secondary defenders away from Lampkin and Freeman.

thats what I just said lol

a small forward without an outside shot, basically. did you misread my post??

2pt shots is inside in this era of basketball

go watch his villanova game highlights...all 2 pt shots...most close to the rim

i dont think he can play 4 or 5 in ACC with a ton of success...just too much lenght in this league...(but would love to be proven wrong)

He’s an inch shorter and 5 lbs lighter than Maliq but a more physical player than Maliq. His physicality and ability to do multiple things is the value add ( especially rebound and pass). He’s well suited as a backup 4/3 and emergency 5 since he played the 5 at UD.