Class of 2020 - F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24)

Why?

We are a name brand, much more exposure, more fans, better league from top to bottom (in my opinion).

The last 5 years have been awful. The 5 years before that, we were at least relevant, made the tournament, made a Final Four, Sweet 16. While not up to my standard, we were still at least competitive.

We took a step to being competitive again this past year. We beat a top 20 team for the first time in what, 3 years? We have massive roster turnover, but that's not unlike many other programs.
You answered your own question. Our last 5 years have been "awful." That hurts the "brand"

I still think we should win this battle but you have to put the work in.

The old guard used to have an arrogance that their offer meant a commitment should come without the head coach putting in the work. We learned that didn't work.

You answered your own question. Our last 5 years have been "awful." That hurts the "brand"

I still think we should win this battle but you have to put the work in.

The old guard used to have an arrogance that their offer meant a commitment should come without the head coach putting in the work. We learned that didn't work.
You said 10, I said 5. Quite a difference.

I never said not to put the work in - and I don't think that will be the case now with Autry as opposed to Boeheim. We are on the same page there.

Why?

We are a name brand, much more exposure, more fans, better league from top to bottom (in my opinion).

The last 5 years have been awful. The 5 years before that, we were at least relevant, made the tournament, made a Final Four, Sweet 16. While not up to my standard, we were still at least competitive.

We took a step to being competitive again this past year. We beat a top 20 team for the first time in what, 3 years? We have massive roster turnover, but that's not unlike many other programs.
Heard of NIL?

You said 10, I said 5. Quite a difference.

I never said not to put the work in - and I don't think that will be the case now with Autry as opposed to Boeheim. We are on the same page there.
Right and FYI I wasn't the OP to your response. And I wouldnt call the last 5 years awful, more subpar.

We have an engaged head coach who I'm confident will gradually upgrade the talent.

I thought last year's transfer class was decent. Then held onto Moore, landed Freeman and now Lampkin. Cleaned out the bad apples and most of the holdovers from the old regime, would have kept Maliq if it was up to me but alas

Heard of NIL?
If we are not competitive with Xavier in terms of NIL, then again, we have some very large issues and much bigger hurdles competing in the ACC.

If we are not competitive with Xavier in terms of NIL, then again, we have some very large issues and much bigger hurdles competing in the ACC.
We may have a comparable or even a larger budget and still not outbid them for this guy.

I'd expect us to have the upper hand but giving Xavier a 0% chance is beyond hyperbole.

Jyare is the "anti-Bell" so to speak as he isn't a 3 point shooter, but he does everything else well. IMO, he is perfect to come off the bench to spell the forwards... brings energy & toughness on both ends to go with scoring, rebounding, and a good passer.

I'd still like to add more shooting as well but this guy would help in other areas of need.
He's like Brown

He's like Brown
Davis appears to have a very polished game. He can shoot off the dribble, he can back his man down and score with his back to the basket, he can drive and finish. The man can score points.

Maliq was/is extremely limited offensively. Good passer for sure. But in terms of scoring, if he got the ball very close to the basket, he could make a reverse layup most of the time. Or dunk if no one is near him, typically on a follow shot after getting an offensive rebound.

Or get fouled and make free throws.

Most of the time when Maliq touched the ball he didn’t even take a look at the basket. Which is a shame. I wish he was more aggressive looking to score and a bit more selfish. But it was not in his DNA.

The two players are both good passers. Other than that, I think they are very different.

We may have a comparable or even a larger budget and still not outbid them for this guy.

I'd expect us to have the upper hand but giving Xavier a 0% chance is beyond hyperbole.
But if all things are equal, there's no way we should have trouble beating Xavier out for a recruit. If that continues to happen, we have some bigger issues.

This is what I said in the original post. You're moving the goalposts by saying our offer may not be the same.

Davis appears to have a very polished game. He can shoot off the dribble, he can back his man down and score with his back to the basket, he can drive and finish. The man can score points.

Maliq was/is extremely limited offensively. Good passer for sure. But in terms of scoring, if he got the ball very close to the basket, he could make a reverse layup most of the time. Or dunk if no one is near him, typically on a follow shot after getting an offensive rebound.

Or get fouled and make free throws.

Most of the time when Maliq touched the ball he didn’t even take a look at the basket. Which is a shame. I wish he was more aggressive looking to score and a bit more selfish. But it was not in his DNA.

The two players are both good passers. Other than that, I think they are very different.
Agreed and I've posted this as well. Brown is a good role player. He was a liability on the offensive end.

Agreed and I've posted this as well. Brown is a good role player. He was a liability on the offensive end.
He had the 16th best ORtg and 3rd best effective field goal % in the entire sport. And made 70% of his free throws. Impressive level of just saying chit with no regard for veracity.

Untrue. He played within himself, and was mistake-avoidant, like a younger CJ Fair.

When he was more aggressive offensively at times, he demonstrated a nice outside shooting touch and the ability to score attacking the basket. Were he on next year's team, without a ball dominant gunner like Mintz, I'd expect his scoring to jump into the 14 - 15 ppg realm, and people would be lauding him for his offensive versatility instead of discussing him being an offensive liability.

There's a difference between "can't" and "doesn't." And for a younger, underclassman like Brown, playing within both himself and the team's structured offensive concept and not trying to do too much is admirable, not something to knock.

I remember similar narratives about CJ Fair during his freshman / sophomore campaigns. One poster famously declared -- then doubled and tripled down -- on the assertion that he couldn't score outside of 10 feet. Then, CJ shot 50% from three his junior year, and said poster disappeared. Oops.

Untrue. He played within himself, and was mistake-avoidant, like a younger CJ Fair.

When he was more aggressive offensively at times, he demonstrated a nice outside shooting touch and the ability to score attacking the basket. Were he on next year's team, without a ball dominant gunner like Mintz, I'd expect his scoring to jump into the 14 - 15 ppg realm, and people would be lauding him for his offensive versatility instead of discussing him being an offensive liability.

There's a difference between "can't" and "doesn't." And for a younger, underclassman like Brown, playing within both himself and the team's structured offensive concept and not trying to do too much is admirable, not something to knock.

I remember similar narratives about CJ Fair during his freshman / sophomore campaigns. One poster famously declared -- then doubled and tripled down -- on the assertion that he couldn't score outside of 10 feet. Then, CJ shot 50% from three his junior year, and said poster disappeared. Oops.

Brown is the best fit for the role we brought this kid into play. That said from a what we will get vs what the team that gets Brown will get next year standpoint it won’t be a huge difference. 5th year guy whose more aggressive on offense vs jr Maliq both playing in new systems. Maliq would have thrived coming back more than wherever he ultimately ends up. We had to get a kid like Davis though if we were going to be ok in the front court minus Maliq.

Also - I don’t care what UMass fans think CC ;)

Last edited:

I guess we will find out next year as he plays for another team.

I do not believe Brown had nearly the athleticism nor the back-to-the-basket ability that Fair had. I don't think that is a very good comparison.

Brown was a good player. I think his ceiling was low. We'll find out soon enough.

Brown is the best fit for the role we brought this kid into play. That said from a what we will get vs what the team that gets Brown will get next year standpoint it won’t be a huge difference. 5th year guy whose more aggressive on offense vs jr Maliq both playing in new systems. Maliq would have thrived coming back more than wherever he ultimately ends up. We had to get a kid like Davis though if we were going to be ok in the front court minus Maliq.

Also - I don’t care what UMass fans think CC ;)
You must have never played a team sport where a prized player gets everything no matter what the other players do. Maliq does exactly what he's told to do. People here are going to cry when he blows up for some other program next year.