Class of 2020 - F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24) | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24)

The ending of this season bothered me more than any season aside from 1987. I didnt sleep for months

It truly felt like some kind of deal with the devil payment for 03 with such a stroke of bad luck with Arinze. We were the best team in the country and it wasn’t close before he got hurt.

Then came the stuff with Fab- a year where the country deserved Cuse- UK like it got Purdue UConn this year.

It truly felt like some kind of deal with the devil payment for 03 with such a stroke of bad luck with Arinze. We were the best team in the country and it wasn’t close before he got hurt.

Then came the stuff with Fab- a year where the country deserved Cuse- UK like it got Purdue UConn this year.
Haven't thought about that in awhile, but man, I would have loved to have seen that game!

And I hope Jyare Davis is a key contributor to the next great 'Cuse team :)

Look no further than the 2010 squad, and the big shoes that several principal players had to replace from the previous year [Flynn, Harris, Devo].

Scoop / Triche weren't objectively "better" than Flynn. He was a high NBA draft pick, they were good college players.

Rautins wasn't objectively "better" than Devendorf.

But collectively, the whole ended up being better than the sum of the individual parts. That 2010 squad had perfect chemistry, and highly complimentary skill sets that enabled that team to achieve greatness... and a #1 ranking.

The lesson? This isn't an all-star game, where the goal is to slap together the five most individually talented players. The goal is to identify system fits, and players who have the right balance of complimentary skill sets.

If only Arinze hadn't gotten hurt...
Only quibble, Rautins was objectively better.

(ducks, engages in evasive maneuvers)

Only quibble, Rautins was objectively better.

(ducks, engages in evasive maneuvers)

Not according to poster, jambandjunki -- who famously declared that "...Andy Rautins is the worst starting guard" in JB's history, early in the 2009 - 2010 season, only to leave the board in disgrace as the team ended up being one of the top squads in program history, with Rautins leading the way.

What an imbecile.

Not according to poster, jambandjunki -- who famously declared that "...Andy Rautins is the worst starting guard" in JB's history, early in the 2009 - 2010 season, only to leave the board in disgrace as the team ended up being one of the top squads in program history, with Rautins leading the way.

What an imbecile.
Lol I remember that dude.

Rautins must have like, I don't know, kidnapped his dog or did something that lead to his parents divorce or something.

What an imbecile.

People forget, but Rautins got a lot of crap here until his senior year which was just so good nobody could complain about it.

People dug into that nepotism foxhole and stayed there despite Rautins being a good player. He had to be great for people to give up on it.

Lampkin is going to be the best offensive threat we have had in the post in a looong time but some of you guys are going to be shocked at how bad he is defensively the way you are talking about him. We might have no choice but to go zone against PNR heavy teams when he is on the court. I wish I had Synergy to look at and share the numbers.

People forget, but Rautins got a lot of crap here until his senior year which was just so good nobody could complain about it.

People dug into that nepotism foxhole and stayed there despite Rautins being a good player. He had to be great for people to give up on it.
I think I was posting on the old Syracuse.com message boards at the time, but he got a lot of sht there too maybe even from the same people who posted here.

He really started to play well when JB gave him the starting job his sophomore year down the stretch and was really good his JR year too.

Lampkin is going to be the best offensive threat we have had in the post in a looong time but some of you guys are going to be shocked at how bad he is defensively the way you are talking about him. We might have no choice but to go zone against PNR heavy teams when he is on the court. I wish I had Synergy to look at and share the numbers.
The teams that Lampkin started for the last 3 years were ranked 49th, 23rd, and 15th in defense per Kenpom so its possible to scheme around his deficiencies. Now Im sure those teams had stronger defensive pieces around Lampkin but hopefully we can make it work.

Saw the same numbers you did. McLeod isn't good there either. Hopefully the new assistant has some ideas.
McLeod at least had the threat of blocking the shot once they got past him... Lampkin isn't a shot blocker.

I'll trade "bad in the pick and roll" for "can't stop anybody in the post" all day long, though.

Lampkin also will wear teams out, he's really physical.

But we will not be playing at altitude. What are his sea level numbers. I recall someone posting that his minutes and O numbers were better away than at home. Please check this out and report back. Thank you.

But we will not be playing at altitude. What are his sea level numbers. I recall someone posting that his minutes and O numbers were better away than at home. Please check this out and report back. Thank you.
I also believe someone pointed out his defensive metrics were much better when he was at TCU.

Lampkin needs to get in shape. His best season was his redshirt freshmen year. It would not hurt if he lost 20-25 pounds. He would still be huge at that weight.
He looked thinner in his recruiting photos than in his NCAA Tournament game against Florida. He seemed to have a limp and a hitch in his giddyup in that game. I wonder if he was either injured or had let himself balloon a little and he was really closer to 300 (or more! 6'11" hides a lot of mass) in that game, and will move better for us next year.

Conditioning and weight is something he'll have to be careful of his whole life, I imagine.

What an imbecile.
I remember that. Lol. Idiot

Look no further than the 2010 squad, and the big shoes that several principal players had to replace from the previous year [Flynn, Harris, Devo].

Scoop / Triche weren't objectively "better" than Flynn. He was a high NBA draft pick, they were good college players.

Rautins wasn't objectively "better" than Devendorf.

But collectively, the whole ended up being better than the sum of the individual parts. That 2010 squad had perfect chemistry, and highly complimentary skill sets that enabled that team to achieve greatness... and a #1 ranking.

The lesson? This isn't an all-star game, where the goal is to slap together the five most individually talented players. The goal is to identify system fits, and players who have the right balance of complimentary skill sets.

If only Arinze hadn't gotten hurt...
Ehhh did Wes Johnson add a bit to that team?

Ehhh did Wes Johnson add a bit to that team?

Of course he did.

That doesn't change that the 2010 team had the most balanced offense, perhaps the best interior passing, and top chemistry of any team we've had in the last 20 years [and maybe even dating further back than that].

It wasn't all Wes. It was having the right players, who complimented each other well, with several players also delivering positional versatility that gave JB flexible lineups, based upon situational matchup. And despite not being as good individually as some of the key players from the previous year that they replaced, the team ended up being BETTER than that squad, because of it.

Sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts. That's what having near-perfect chemistry / balance leads to.

Completely agree. There were a handful of posters who stuck with that narrative 'til the bitter end, until they couldn't anymore without looking foolish.

I remember that. Lol. Idiot

Best part was how he slunk off of the board with his tail between his legs never to be heard from again after that post became a board laughingstock.

Epic fail.

Completely agree. There were a handful of posters who stuck with that narrative 'til the bitter end, until they couldn't anymore without looking foolish.

Best part was how he slunk off of the board with his tail between his legs never to be heard from again after that post became a board laughingstock.

Epic fail.
We need to do a top 10 of syracusefan failures

I'll be excited to see fewer 1 on 4 fast breaks next season.
Agreed! I've never seen a worse SU team when it came to fast breaks. The poor decisions, the lack of passes.