Fan Fest Report | Syracusefan.com

Fan Fest Report

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Attended Fan Fest today,

Biggest crowd I can remember seeing at this event, we ended up guessing 1244 people attended,

SU did a nice job setting things up. They ranged for a large set of bleachers near the practice fields. Also opened up an area to spectators behind the end zone on the north side of the practice field.

Season ticket holders were able to pick up their tickets. Pocket schedules, rosters and football posters were available. Cheerleaders were there, as was Otto. Reasonable priced food was available and someone, Tops I think, gave away free ice cream. And they had a couple of those inflatable things for kids in. Good show SU AD department.

Don't have a ton of time but some comments...

The team continues to get bigger. There is more depth than there has been in more than 10 years. Based on what I saw today, the team continues to get faster as well. This team passes the look test.

In the drills and scrimmage, Drew Allen and Terrell Hunt split time working with the North (first team) offense. They appear closely matched right now.

In general terms, I think Hunt is playing steadier, doing better on short passes, less likely to throw long and less likely to throw a pick.

Allen was more spectacular. He had a couple nice fairly long passes, seems v Rey aggressive, and also had a couple poor passes that were intercepted. For better or for worse, he makes things happen.

Not sure what is going to happen here. It looks like a really close race right now.

Kinder remains at WR, where he looked good working with the third team.

Loeb threw the ball well in drills and looked good, but he is not playing reps with the first team. Looks like a girl from the bayou is going to be a little disappointed.

First look at Wilson and Kimble. Both looked good in limited reps. Wilson showed a big arm and some poise with a nice down in the flat to Funderburke. Kimble also made a good throw. He is behind Austin in terms of physical development. Both threw it well in passing drills.

At RB, JS was impressive, a man amongst boys. He broke some tackles, ran very hard and at one point, hit Jerami Wilkes so hard he flew 4 or 5 yards backwards on impact.

PTG also ran well, ran low to the ground, showed no signs of the upper body injury from last season. It is really weird to see him play without his dreads though.

GSIII looked okay in limited reps. McFarland had a spectacular run down the left sideline where he outran one defender to the corner, ran over another and sprinted to the end zone from there for a TD run of over 50 yards.

AAM looks in the best shape of his SU career and rsn over a number of people. New SU DC Chuck Bullough and Javadoc look a like kept screaming at the defense to tackle him low. Indeed.

Was surprised at the variety of formations used so early in the ppreseason. Nearly everything in the book, including 2 TE formations (Josh Parris was the 2nd TE here). Broyld got lots of reps split out against a DB and made a nice catch on a play whistled dead.

The defense was able to apply pressure on the North offense. No surprises here, the get much run. right side was the weak link. It is an area of legitimate concern. On the positive side, they looked better run blocking. Looks like the starters are set right now, there was no flopping of players from the South unit.

I think Cleveland is still working with the North unit but he will be hard pressed to hold off AAM

At WR, West is the top dog. Kobena got a lot of looks and for now might be the # 2 target. Fleming worked with the North unit but didn't get much of a chance to do anything. ACIII had a nice catch and run for a long gain. Lewis still looks skinny and didn't get much run. Warfield made a nice catch but got hit in midair and dropped the ball. As mentioned before, Funderburke and Kinder both had nice receptions too. PT is wide open here and your guess is as good as mine regarding how things fall out.

Broyld and Estime played at H-back. Good sign for Brisly to be getting reps so early. Broyld looked good here, I think this is a better fit for his skill set.

Defense

No surprises here with the North unit. Anderson and Lyn seemed to plat all reps with the North unit. Robinson and Welsh played at the DE slots. Welsh looks like our best pas rusher, he consistently put pressure on the QB.

Whigham might be passing Reddish as the 3rd CB. Both look solid to me. Zeke Johnson had a couple nice plays and showed potential as a pass rusher. Kirkland missed most of the practice with a suspected pulled shimmied. Luke Arciniega was a force at the Mike position, looking good against the run and the pass.

Raymon was not there. No idea why. Sloan didn't play. No idea why. Tyler Marona opened as one of the South DEs and is an early surprise. So far Sugar Bear is not making an impact at DE but I am happy to report he is running well and looks fine.

Desir made a couple of plays too. Good player.

Krautman was solid today, was drilling the bell down the middle consistently.

Norton was also impressive kicking field goals. He has a huge leg.

Dixon and Fisher had a fine punting duel at the start of practice. Both had their moments but on this day, Dixon was more consistent and effective.

What else? The staff was animated, particularly on the defensive side. They had the defensive players singing a song before they faced off with the offense and they showed a lot of spirit.

Thought this was a promising start. You can't make a lot of informed judgements about a team based on one inter squad scrimmage, but the team looks good. They have the potential to win some games.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Excellent recap. I have been looking forward to this all day.

Any chance that Whigham/Reddish jump Anderson or Morgan/Desir jump Wilkes? They were the weak spots of secondary last year.

Is it a matter of time before Knapp gets a look at RT?

Excellent recap. I have been looking forward to this all day.

Any chance that Whigham/Reddish jump Anderson or Morgan/Desir jump Wilkes? They were the weak spots of secondary last year.

Is it a matter of time before Knapp gets a look at RT?

i made it a point of keying in on the offensive line today and Knapp was extremely impressive. I couldn't see over to the left side, but if a switch did have to be made I would be extremely comfortable with Knapp starting. Maybe TomCat saw some more from Foy and Robinson, but I thought they held up pretty good from my limited view? I could be wrong though.

It sounds like Allen's picks looked bad by they were pick 6s, but maybe they were bad bounces. On one the receiver didn't break off his route as expected and the other the ball was tipped?

Things I really like:

The team continues to get bigger. There is more depth than there has been in more than 10 years. Based on what I saw today, the team continues to get faster as well. This team passes the look test.

(Drew) Allen was more spectacular. He had a couple nice fairly long passes, seems v Rey aggressive, and also had a couple poor passes that were intercepted. For better or for worse, he makes things happen.

At RB, JS was impressive, a man amongst boys. He broke some tackles, ran very hard and at one point, hit Jerami Wilkes so hard he flew 4 or 5 yards backwards on impact.

AAM looks in the best shape of his SU career and rsn over a number of people.

Broyld and Estime played at H-back. Good sign for Brisly to be getting reps so early. Broyld looked good here, I think this is a better fit for his skill set.

Defense

Welsh looks like our best pas rusher, he consistently put pressure on the QB.

Whigham might be passing Reddish as the 3rd CB. Both look solid to me.

Luke Arciniega was a force at the Mike position, looking good against the run and the pass.

Desir made a couple of plays too. Good player.

Great recap!

Thanks Tom!

So from a small sample study it seems that Allen will make mistakes but give the offense the whole field while Hunt will make the plays but doesn't stretch the field as well. Size and speed wise I wonder how Allen would compare this team to his old OU team?

When I read certain things or watch practices you get the idea why certain receives play and others don't and it isn't just drops...it's running the correct routes because those mistakes lead to those nasty picks and the even worse pick 6. I'm hoping that Broyld knowing what position he is playing will pick up the nuances of the position along with constantly working on his hands...as they all have to do.

I find Wilkes playing FS to be somewhat of a conundrum. From my own perspective he's a below average tackler (though let's face it hitting Smith too high is a tough task for any player) and always seems to be a step or two behind the play. That said, the coaches seem to be very comfortable with him and he knows the plays and dollars to donuts he is out of position at times because he's trying to cover two guys at a time because of a blown assignment or somebody got beat too quickly.

The offensive line sounds very encouraging and if they can stay healthy, hungry and continue to learn/adapt...I'm hoping they can be a solid unit that Hunt/Allen can count on and not feel the pitter pat Nassib felt during his early days of starting.

If any of the freshman can come in a make a solid impact I'll be thrilled but it's nice that we really don't need them too for once...once in a long time that is.

If the kickers stay consistent it'll help the team not beat itself. Just make the other team make the plays and if they do...tip your cap and say you beat me this time but the fewer the shanks and easy points on the board the better the team will be able to force the other team to beat them. It sounds like they are a solid two deep at each kicking position and that's fantastic.

Personally...I'd love to have them keep Moore at fullback on some passing situations and be able to dump off to him...he'd be an S.O.B for some of those smaller guys to tackle. He's bigger than Bailey/Gulley was/is so hopefully he'd be able to pick up the blocking scheme even though I'm sure that this will be Gulley's role.

I'm still worried about Flemings ability to separate, the potential is there though.

Great recap tom I love the auto correct i really hope luke comes back soon from the pulled shimmie haha.

I agree with most of your notes I agree that the qb competition looks tight and expect Allen to make mistakes at this point in camp. Of note i thought Austin Wilson threw the two most ceisp on target balls of the session hard to the breadbasket both times.

Great post

I have to admit, the reports on the new freshman are always one of the highlights for me to read...thanks Ottoble.

Well done sir. Love some of the auto-corrects in this. Gave me a good chuckle.

Will be fun to watch this next year in the IPF. ;)

My favorite part of the Tomcat recaps - the "Here's a couple quick ones..." disclaimer before a massive post.

I guess you'll be back in a bit to finish up - I think Clark and Tim Green's kid are the only players you didn't cover.
Great post! The only abbreviation I had to look up on suathletics was ACIII.

Great recap tom I love the auto correct i really hope luke comes back soon from the pulled shimmie haha.

I agree with most of your notes I agree that the qb competition looks tight and expect Allen to make mistakes at this point in camp. Of note i thought Austin Wilson threw the two most ceisp on target balls of the session hard to the breadbasket both times.

Great post
It was Kirkland with the pulled shimmie. :)

BTW, agree on Austin Wilson

I have to admit, the reports on the new freshman are always one of the highlights for me to read...thanks Ottoble.
No problem its somthing I look for also granted small sample size he was in for 3-5 plays on the near field but it made me take note.

Interesting note on Parris. I'm interested to see him in action. He was a pretty good recruit that got overshadowed by Sugar Bear at the end, but hopefully projects as a pretty good player.

Thanks again for the report.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom