Fan Fest | Syracusefan.com

Fan Fest

GoSU96

Living Legend
Like TC noted the first thing you really see with this team in how far they have come with depth. 1-110(?) this is best roster since the late '90s. The top end might not be there, but the fall off to third and fourth string is not that great.

I remember watching Conley working with 8 linebackers three or four years ago and two were walkons.

Offense - based on yesterday Hunt and Allen are fighting for the QB spot. Charlie isn't that far behind, but it doesn't look like he is in the staffs plans. Kimble and Wilson can both spin it.

Yesterday the most used package was three wide, two backs. TB was Smith/Morris. Wing was Gully/Macfarland(they were offset in the gun and split out at times, think Tavon Austin and how he was used). At receiever it was West/AC, Flemming/Clark, Broyld/Kobena. First unit brings the power, second unit brings the speed. A lot more college spread formations than Hackett pro spread. Trips and stacked, very Big 12 Briles/Leach/Holgerson type stuff. They also had some zone read in there as well.

Things will get switched up with the TE either taking the 3rd wide or 2nd back off the field. I don't think we see much FB at all. Cleveland has that job. AAM was running with the 3rd unit. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a redshirt this year, he looked great, but don't know if they need him.

To show you how far the program has come the third string was AAM, Rene, Funderburk, Lewis, and Kinder with Loeb at QB. All those guys can play. Kinder looked very comfortable at WR.

OL is a concern. Young guys pass the look test, but we are going to miss Pugh and Chibane.

Defense - only real concern is DE. When Reddish, Morgan, Desir, and Whigham are your second string secondary you are going to be okay there. Nice depth at LB. DT will be fine. Key to DE will be if Thompson, Johnson and Marona can really contribute this year.

Specials - only observation is place kicker, Krautman better watch out, Norton was pure from deep yesterday.

Defense - only real concern is DE. When Reddish, Morgan, Desir, and Whigham are your second string secondary you are going to be okay there.

This may sound like hyperbole but I honestly believe that second unit would be one of our top 4 or 5 secondaries of the past decade, and as you said, they're coming off the bench. That's pretty impressive.

Like TC noted the first thing you really see with this team in how far they have come with depth. 1-110(?) this is best roster since the late '90s. The top end might not be there, but the fall off to third and fourth string is not that great..

Thanks for the report.

OL is a concern. Young guys pass the look test, but we are going to miss Pugh and Chibane.

Thanks, Go. Can you elaborate (if possible) about this a bit more? How bad? Are they serviceable? Will we be able to compete against a decent DL? OL a concern is a big deal... the question is "how big?"

Thanks! I always wonder how good a line is...is the oline really good and that's why the dline struggles or are they bad and that's why the dline looks really good.

Great report, Go. I know you wrote it especially for me because I'm your A#1 favorite poster. Great insights on the backs and WR pairings. Really glad to hear the note about what the offensive sets are looking like so far.

Thanks, Go. I need to see the offense in person, but just reading about the formations and plays- it sounds like there's an awful lot going on here.

Is it possible to have too much in a playbook?

Specials - only observation is place kicker, Krautman better watch out, Norton was pure from deep yesterday.

Dr. Pat O'Neill situation? Ross will be the place kicker and kick all the FG's but if it is a real long one, like 50+ yards, could we see Norton attempt those like we did with O'Neill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To show you how far the program has come the third string was AAM, Rene, Funderburk, Lewis, and Kinder with Loeb at QB. All those guys can play...

I had to read that paragraph twice to let it really sink in. That's an incredible group for third string compared to recent years. Good observations. Good post.

Thanks for the info...nice to hear about this depth, hope the oline is at least serviceable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom