Field Position Battle | Syracusefan.com

Field Position Battle

GeauxSU

2022 Cali Winner (Points Scored/Passing TDs)
is a must-win on Saturday. We are fourth to last in the FBS in net punting, and if Jimmy Williams can't boot the ball, I say watch out. On the flipside, Trebor Pena has been fantastic. I would really like to see a ST coordinator hired in the offseason.
Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 11.56.44 AM.png

For reference, the number all the way to the right represents our net punt ydg. through 8 games...

is a must-win on Saturday. We are fourth to last in the FBS in net punting, and if Jimmy Williams can't boot the ball, I say watch out. On the flipside, Trebor Pena has been fantastic. I would really like to see a ST coordinator hired in the offseason.
View attachment 209757
Special Teams have been well above grade since Dino's arrival. Not perfect, but quite good. This is a down year, due mostly to our kickers. That said, ... we only won at Lane Stadium last weekend because of special teams. We don't win without Pena's 50+ yard return with ~3:30 left in the game. Incidentally, Pena's return was the longest by an opponent in Fuente’s 10 seasons as a head coach, four at Memphis and the past six at Tech.

View attachment 209757
Agreed this is one of our biggest challenges going forward.

Special Teams have been well above grade since Dino's arrival. Not perfect, but quite good. This is a down year, due mostly to our kickers. That said, ... we only won at Lane Stadium last weekend because of special teams. We don't win without Pena's 50+ yard return with ~3:30 left in the game. Incidentally, Pena's return was the longest by an opponent in Fuente’s 10 seasons as a head coach, four at Memphis and the past six at Tech.

We also almost lost last weekend because of special teams……

Missed FG
Blocked XP that was returned for 2pts
Bad field position after punts

Last edited:

Missed FG
Blocked FG that was returned for 2pts
i would still argue that other than the blocked xp the rest has more to do with players than having a ST coach.. and even the block it was pretty clear the player did something wrong that he was told not to do..

much like the fade that Alford ran as a skinny post before the TO issue..

Missed FG
Blocked FG that was returned for 2pts
Blocked XP

i would still argue that other than the blocked xp the rest has more to do with players than having a ST coach.. and even the block it was pretty clear the player did something wrong that he was told not to do..

much like the fade that Alford ran as a skinny post before the TO issue..

I guess but Szmyt has been awful this season…

I think in my opinion a special teams coach works with him and finds out what the issue is and works on it to correct it.

It’s insane to me that we don’t have a special teams coach/coordinator

James Williams is definitely hurt right? I feel like he was fine and then he missed FSU and has been poor since.

I guess but Szmyt has been awful this season…

I think in my opinion a special teams coach works with him and finds out what the issue is and works on it to correct it.

It’s insane to me that we don’t have a special teams coach/coordinator
we do have a ST quality control and a ST analyst. We dont have a coach with the title.. But no team has a guy really dedicated to it. Are we sure the TE coach at Ala is trained in teaching his guys how to kick

I think anything under 4th and 10 - we have to go for it. Punting has been abysmal.

James Williams is definitely hurt right? I feel like he was fine and then he missed FSU and has been poor since.
I think he punted better against Clemson. We were sitting with a couple Clemson fans who came up for the game and they turned and told me twice "your punter looks ok."

We have been so spoiled at the punter position for so long we forgot how much impact it has on field position. I think he will get there. It this year has been rough.

There are three facets to a football team; offense, defense, and special teams. Each facet has a coordinator by most teams since each should be treated equally. Dino used to have a coordinator for special teams but for some reason he doesn't this season and we've seen the effects.

Additionally, I believe every sport tests an athlete mentally. Sometimes the most important part is between the ears. The phrase used most often by athletes is, "got o get my head right." I've seen what Smyzt is capable of when he won the Lou Groza award. I believe the problem is between the ears with him.

Maybe Dino should have a full time special team coordinator and a part-time cognitive behavioral therapist available. I believe this will strengthen the team and achieve better results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom