Filipowski better be suspended | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Filipowski better be suspended

Well, whether one chooses to buy into the continuous "southern conference" mantra around here, one thing is certain, that Charlotte is quite a magnificent city and metropolis, not to mention a banking leader with incredible diversity, growth and prosperity, etc.

Greensboro and Charlotte are night and day differences. With all due respect, it appears your ignorance and bias is what needs to be "dealt" with.
Ok...…but hear me out...…Charlotte is literally in the south.

Is it possible that's what the poster was referring to?

Well, whether one chooses to buy into the continuous "southern conference" mantra around here, one thing is certain, that Charlotte is quite a magnificent city and metropolis, not to mention a banking leader with incredible diversity, growth and prosperity, etc.

Greensboro and Charlotte are night and day differences. With all due respect, it appears your relative ignorance is what may need to be "dealt" with.

I think you are missing the point. I doubt anyone is saying Greensboro is a southern hub like Charlotte. Geographically it means nothing moving from one to the other in the context of what he is saying.

Ok...…but hear me out...…Charlotte is literally in the south.

Is it possible that's what the poster was referring to?

In my opinion, no. It's not the first time he has thrown shade towards the ACC's choice of Charlotte. And, his "southern conference" tilt has nothing to do with Charlotte being a city that is located in the South.

I have lived in and around the Charlotte area for nearly 30 years now. There are thousands upon thousands that are not from here, etc. It's very diverse.

In my opinion, no. It's not the first time he has thrown shade towards the ACC's choice of Charlotte. And, his "southern conference" tilt has nothing to do with Charlotte being a city that is located in the South.

I have lived in and around the Charlotte area for nearly 30 years now. There are thousands upon thousands that are not from here, etc. It's very diverse.

I guess you guys will have to sort this out. There is little doubt that the southern bias hasn’t been kind to us since joining the ACC and I’m talking in all major sports. I’m very familiar myself with the city and area traveling through work in the past great area and yes very much a community similar to Dallas in its people from all over.

Greensboro and Charlotte are night and day differences. With all due respect, it appears your relative ignorance is what may need to be "dealt" with.

First, I love CLT. I had a client there that I traveled to CLT for and appreciate CLT for it's substantial contribution to the country. I also have friends there that have lived in NoDa and now live in Plaza Midwood. I love the National Whitewater Center. Truthfully, I think the NASCAR HoF could have been better. I also have a best friend that was an assistant coach at Davidson on one of the athletic teams. Can't tell you how much it was great to visit Davidson. Granted, that's not CLT, but it's within reason an area-adjacent.

But this is a straight up arms race we're facing. So while I personally love CLT, it's not a serious choice and it allowed this conference to be southern-centric, NC-centric and not have anyone push us to be bigger and better and forward thinking.

Can't wait for the ACCT to be in G'boro [EDIT: My mistake] North Carolina for FIVE YEARS IN A ROW, which will coincide with the payments to break the GOR being more viable for certain teams. So please enjoy this North Carolina conference as it digs it's own grave continously while the world burns around it.

Last edited:
I guess you guys will have to sort this out. There is little doubt that the southern bias hasn’t been kind to us since joining the ACC and I’m talking in all major sports. I’m very familiar myself with the city and area traveling through work in the past great area and yes very much a community similar to Dallas in its people from all over.

I don't buy into the constant southern bias angle, but that's me.

The ACC gave Syracuse University the gift of a lifetime when extending the gracious offer into the league. Whether us Syracuse biased fans choose to or not, undoubtedly, we all should be far more grateful of that, IMO.

First, I love CLT. I had a client there that I traveled to CLT for and appreciate CLT for it's substantial contribution to the country. I also have friends there that have lived in NoDa and now live in Plaza Midwood. I love the National Whitewater Center. Truthfully, I think the NASCAR HoF could have been better. I also have a best friend that was an assistant coach at Davidson on one of the athletic teams. Can't tell you how much it was great to visit Davidson. Granted, that's not CLT, but it's within reason an area-adjacent.

But this is a straight up arms race we're facing. So while I personally love CLT, it's not a serious choice and it allowed this conference to be southern-centric, NC-centric and not have anyone push us to be bigger and better and forward thinking.

Can't wait for the ACCT to be in G'boro for FIVE YEARS IN A ROW, which will coincide with the payments to break the GOR being more viable for certain teams. So please enjoy this North Carolina conference as it digs it's own grave continously while the world burns around it.

I disagree with CLT not being a serious choice. What significant metropolis area would've been better suited?

The ACCT is not in G'boro for 5 years in a row, it's in Charlotte for 3 of them. That stated, I do agree, for obvious reasons, that Greensboro shouldn't be a city that hosts future ACCT's.

The ACC gave Syracuse University the gift of a lifetime when extending the gracious offer into the league. Whether us Syracuse biased fans choose to or not, undoubtedly, we all should be far more grateful of that, IMO.

Conferences don't do charity. They saw us as a partner that could help all parties make money.

Having the tournament in Greensboro would have been like the Big East having the tournament in Buffalo or Scranton and the SEC having it in Macon. It makes little sense from a marketing perspective. Every other league plays in big cities EVERY season.

They added teams, but have not upgraded the operation.

Having the tournament in Greensboro would have been like the Big East having the tournament in Buffalo or Scranton and the SEC having it in Macon. It makes little sense from a marketing perspective. Every other league plays in big cities EVERY season.

They added teams, but have not upgraded the operation.

See my post above relative to Greensboro.

I’ll be more grateful when I see it truly result in a positive outcome for us. There is momentum for sure and we are competing in the arms race but certainly not on the level our programs are accustomed to prior to the ACC’s gracious offer

Yeah, well, not all pictures are created equally. In the case of Buddy's punch, that picture indeed painted a thousand words. One in which he left himself with no wiggle room whatsoever, so of course he had absolutely zero choice than to admit to the incredibly (without any reasonable doubt) obvious intentional act.

Additionally, it's why the egregious act was dealt with so quickly by ACC powers that be.
Buddy had the option of denying the intent despite the evidence and didn't. He could've said he flinched or that he turned to go back the other way and inadvertently hit the guy, some people probably would've believed him.

Filipowski took the denial option. Buddy's transgression was more blatant but when a person gets up from the floor their leg doesn't do the things Filipowski's leg did, never ever.

I disagree with CLT not being a serious choice. What significant metropolis area would've been better suited?

The ACCT is not in G'boro for 5 years in a row, it's in Charlotte for 3 of them. That stated, I do agree, for obvious reasons, that Greensboro shouldn't be a city that hosts future ACCT's.

First, you are right, I am wrong on the GBoro ACCT. Edited my post.

CLT is not a serious choice. DC, NYC, etc are serious choices. It also forces them to get out of their legacy thinking.

Let me ask you this: do you think the ACC is teed up for success as a national conference for the future?

Conferences don't do charity. They saw us as a partner that could help all parties make money.

Of course. But you're simply not being honest if you don't believe that their offer wasn't literally a lifeline. And, had they not offered, our football program would've been in dire straights, etc., likely the likes of UConn's. Whereas, the ACC on the other hand, would've been no worse off today.

Of course. But you're simply not being honest if you don't believe that their offer wasn't literally a lifeline. And, had they not offered, our football program would've been in dire straights, etc., likely the likes of UConn's. Whereas, the ACC on the other hand, would've been no worse off today.

We EARNED the offer. We helped make the ACC and its partners more money. Yes, we needed it, but so did the ACC need us.

The ACC still needs us. It matters that they have a footprint up north. You have to have some viability on the I-95 corridor north of the Mason Dixon line.

What are we talking about here?

We EARNED the offer. We helped make the ACC and its partners more money. Yes, we needed it, but so did the ACC need us.

The ACC still needs us. It matters that they have a footprint up north. You have to have some viability on the I-95 corridor north of the Mason Dixon line.

Right, and I may be wrong, but if not the ACC, we probably would have ended up in the Big 10, instead of Rutgers. It's pretty obvious that the Big 10 didn't even want Rutgers.

Right, and I may be wrong, but if not the ACC, we probably would have ended up in the Big 10, instead of Rutgers. It's pretty obvious that the Big 10 didn't even want Rutgers.

Not sure we fit the BIG academic profile but certainly everything else would have fit.

They didn't invite us because of the goodness of their hearts. One, they wanted to hurt the Big East. Two, they thought we would add value to the league. Coach K talked about how this would be the talk of the financial pages if we were a business. Now, we haven't lived up to our part of the bargain. For a number of reasons. I'm optimistic that this is changing in both football and hoop. But time will tell. But there is absolutely no need for us to say thank you sir, can I have another? As for Charlotte. Never been there but I'm sure it's a beautiful city. But there is no way any city, Charlotte, Boston, NYC any city, should have the tournament 3 years in a row. Giving people a different city to go to would be a plus in my book.

CLT was a horrible choice - the issue is the conference has historically had decision making that disproportionately favors the NC schools. It bothered USC, GT, Maryland, FSU…and Syracuse (and probably others, but all of the above are well documented). Moving from Greensboro to CLT did nothing to signal to all members anything had changed, and in fact it reinforced that if you had issues, they weren’t going to be addressed - this was and is an NC-centric conference.

The problem was there really wasn’t another viable alternative. DC would have been a great pick if Maryland was still in the ACC - it’s not as viable with them in the Big Ten. NYC is way too far away from the core of the ACC - I think DC was about as far north as they could legitimately choose. Atlanta was an option, arguably better than CLT - but as a fan of a northern school in the ACC, the headquarters moving to the Deep South is unappealing.

So my opinion is the argument over CLT as the headquarters is one of the most pointless I’ve seen on this board - it was a horrible choice that the conference really didn’t have any choice but to make.

We might have ended up in the Big 10 but not instead of Rutgers.

They didn't invite us because of the goodness of their hearts. One, they wanted to hurt the Big East. Two, they thought we would add value to the league. Coach K talked about how this would be the talk of the financial pages if we were a business. Now, we haven't lived up to our part of the bargain. For a number of reasons. I'm optimistic that this is changing in both football and hoop. But time will tell. But there is absolutely no need for us to say thank you sir, can I have another? As for Charlotte. Never been there but I'm sure it's a beautiful city. But there is no way any city, Charlotte, Boston, NYC any city, should have the tournament 3 years in a row. Giving people a different city to go to would be a plus in my book.

Yeah I mean the Big East - NYC was the obvious choice given just one or two outliers but the ACC should be up and down the coast.

IMO, the partnership has proportionately benefited Syracuse more than it has the ACC.

If being North of the Mason Dixon line was a driving force of such need nowadays, it's interesting how neither the B1G nor the SEC are paying any attention to that premise.

We might have ended up in the Big 10 but not instead of Rutgers.
They would have taken Rutgers anyway, even if they already got a NY presence with Syracuse?

IMO, the partnership has proportionately benefited Syracuse more than it has the ACC.

If being North of the Mason Dixon line was a driving force of such need nowadays, it's interesting how neither the B1G nor the SEC are paying any attention to that premise.
The B10 is primarily north of the Mason Dixon line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom