Final conclusion to potential problems for SU | Syracusefan.com

Final conclusion to potential problems for SU

OrangeBear

Walk On
I am VERY anxiously awaiting my first full year of following SU athletics(basketball in particular) as a fan but remain nervous about potential sanctions against SU in regards to the Fine scandal(especially given how hard Penn State was hit) and the drug testing issue. When do you guys think these issues will finally be put to rest for good? Are there key dates coming up that will push the Fine issue one way or another? If Fine is indicated in some way, could SU get hit hard like Penn State? Does anyone know what types of penalties have been given to other athletic programs for failed drug tests that are similar in scenario as this SU scenario? Sorry for the gloomy post but having gone through the 2003 scandal at Baylor and the mess that became, I really hope I never have to see something like that at one of my school's ever again.

For those of you who don't know my and think I maybe a troll, I introduced myself a couple of months back as I went to Baylor for undergrad and am getting my masters through SU. I am a huge college basketball fan and have been aware of SU's basketball success for a long time but never followed them as a fan until recently when I enrolled at SU. I am really looking forward to a great bball season as I think SU could have a Final Four run in them with this year's team.

I don't think Syracuse will be sanctioned for Bernie Fine's troubles. Even if Davis's story turns out to be true, it didn't occur because of Fine's position on the team, the university never attempted to cover up the story (though they did their due diligence we all admit they could have done more at the time), and he was suspended and ultimately fired once a second accuser came forward.

I am VERY anxiously awaiting my first full year of following SU athletics(basketball in particular) as a fan but remain nervous about potential sanctions against SU in regards to the Fine scandal(especially given how hard Penn State was hit) and the drug testing issue. When do you guys think these issues will finally be put to rest for good? Are there key dates coming up that will push the Fine issue one way or another? If Fine is indicated in some way, could SU get hit hard like Penn State? Does anyone know what types of penalties have been given to other athletic programs for failed drug tests that are similar in scenario as this SU scenario? Sorry for the gloomy post but having gone through the 2003 scandal at Baylor and the mess that became, I really hope I never have to see something like that at one of my school's ever again.

For those of you who don't know my and think I maybe a troll, I introduced myself a couple of months back as I went to Baylor for undergrad and am getting my masters through SU. I am a huge college basketball fan and have been aware of SU's basketball success for a long time but never followed them as a fan until recently when I enrolled at SU. I am really looking forward to a great bball season as I think SU could have a Final Four run in them with this year's team.
don't worry about it.

University did nothing wrong. No cover up. Took appropriate measures. At this point it looks more likely that ESPN will be in trouble than Bernie much less the school.

I don't think Syracuse will be sanctioned for Bernie Fine's troubles. Even if Davis's story turns out to be true, it didn't occur because of Fine's position on the team, the university never attempted to cover up the story (though they did their due diligence we all admit they could have done more at the time), and he was suspended and ultimately fired once a second accuser came forward.

I certainly hope this is the case.

Given what has happened at PSU, if SU were hit by the NCAA in a similar manner, the sanctions would be far worse than what was given to Baylor.
SU's stuation is NOTHING like PSU's. They were hit because of the University coverup. SU never aided in any kid being touched. At this point there is real doubt as to Bernie's guilt. And if he is guilty, there is ZERO evidence Syracuse acted in any way inappropriately.

SU's stuation is NOTHING like PSU's. They were hit because of the University coverup. SU never aided in any kid being touched. At this point there is real doubt as to Bernie's guilt. And if he is guilty, there is ZERO evidence Syracuse acted in any way inappropriately.

Exactly.
Fines situation is between Fine and whoever. 95% of the accusations occured off campus and away from team/school meetings and practices. The other 5 were said to be alone with Bernie in a hotel room on the road and not spoken of to atleast a decade later.

Thanks for jumping aboard orangebear what player do you look forward to the most next year?

NCAA could still come back with "lack of institutional control" though, don't you think?

What a crap post, do you really need to go there when we all tried to move on from this and you shed light on the mess.

NCAA could still come back with "lack of institutional control" though, don't you think?
No... not even a little bit. At this point I think ESPN wants the story to go away since they look so bad. Every report says the school acted in good faith.

Exactly.
Fines situation is between Fine and whoever. 95% of the accusations occured off campus and away from team/school meetings and practices. The other 5 were said to be alone with Bernie in a hotel room on the road and not spoken of to atleast a decade later.

Thanks for jumping aboard orangebear what player do you look forward to the most next year?

SU seems to be stacked talent wise but success will ride on how well promising players like MCW and DC2 will do. I am most looking forward to watching those two players. DC2 seems like he could add instant muscle, rebounding and a post presence. If he can anchor the defense and be a low post threat, SU could make a final four type deep run in the NCAA tournament next year. However, it tends to take big guys longer to adjust to the college game than guards so not sure how big of an impact DC2 will have right away.

For those of you who have been following SU for a while, how does the enthusiasm level for a potentially great year this year compare with the last five or six years? Were there a three losses/ final four team type hype at the beginning of last year?

Gees OB, you sound like a paid basher and short seller on a stock message board.

This year's team just like past years' teams has final four aspirations. If they didn't, why would they play the season? This year's team has excellent talent and desire, especially if the youngsters play to their potential. It will be a very exciting year.

Advice...enjoy this year's team, don't fret over everything, let due process take place, and study hard in grad school. Good luck.

Dajuan is looking in pretty good shape. He is working really hard this summer. He might surprise alot of heads. I think he will be ready for the speed of the game, but hopefully he will also be ready for the speed and recovery aspects of the zone. Heres some pics of him this month.

11421875-standard.jpg

11421876-standard.jpg

11421882-standard.jpg

See the differnece.
Gary+Harris+DaJuan+Coleman+2012+McDonald+American+RJk1LIHwBP1l.jpg

DaJuan+Coleman+2012+McDonald+American+Game+ZlBGZgBbgLLl.jpg

I seriously wonder how much body fat Dajuan has cut down on this summer. He looks to be nearly as in good of shape as Triche in that one photo, and thats saying Alot.

Dajuan is looking in pretty good shape. He is working really hard this summer. He might surprise alot of heads. I think he will be ready for the speed of the game, but hopefully he will also be ready for the speed and recovery aspects of the zone.
11421875-standard.jpg

11421876-standard.jpg
Coleman for sure is important but so is MCW I was impressed with him last year as a rookie so I expect big thing this year after Scoop and Dion have departed. It must not just be up to Triche and Cooney to handle the ball and distribute it in the transition part of the game. It should be fun to watch and develop this year.

Dajuan is looking in pretty good shape. He is working really hard this summer. He might surprise alot of heads. I think he will be ready for the speed of the game, but hopefully he will also be ready for the speed and recovery aspects of the zone. Heres some pics of him this month.

11421875-standard.jpg

11421876-standard.jpg

11421882-standard.jpg

See the differnece.
Gary+Harris+DaJuan+Coleman+2012+McDonald+American+RJk1LIHwBP1l.jpg

DaJuan+Coleman+2012+McDonald+American+Game+ZlBGZgBbgLLl.jpg

I seriously wonder how much body fat Dajuan has cut down on this summer. He looks to be nearly as in good of shape as Triche in that one photo, and thats saying Alot.

Wow, he does seem like he has lost a lot of weight and seems to be really good shape. Is he a legit 6'9-6'10 guy?

He was said to be a legit 6'10, but recently people have said 6'9. Loosing weight I woudln't be surprised to see him back at 6'10 or to grow a inch or two.

Besides looking lean and fit, DaJuan's shoe game is clearly ready for SU. Those Jordan 12's are nice, and my personal favorite Air Jordans.