First post & introduction | Syracusefan.com

First post & introduction

florange44

Scout Team
I've been lurking on these boards since about 2000. This series of boards over the years is top notch! I have appreciated orangeyes every day for 13+ years. Thank you Dan. The insider info found here is great, a big thank you to the insiders and mods who contribute so much. I finally have time to post myself and hopefully contribute to the discussion.

A little about me. Born and raised in Liverpool in the 70s. Been an orange fan since going to games with my Dad at archbold and Manley. I still feel the cold cement at archbold and the swirling dirt at Manley. I loved the zoo with "so what", "who cares", etc. I was hooked. Learned about SU history reading Arnie and the old scout for years.

Graduated from Liverpool one year after Pete Holohan (still the best high school athlete I've ever seen) and Kyle fetterly. I'm a Clarkson grad ( is Bees the only other one here?). Moved to Florida in 83, been here ever since. I've been raising 3 kids and coaching travel baseball and basketball, usually able to get my syracusefan.com fix at work over lunch. I've been able to travel to a bunch of away games over the years. Highly recommend that to SU fans, always fun, even in the dark days of GRob.

Here are my positions on the great debates of this board
1) P was a good coach and a good man but the game passed him by. Needed to go.
2) GRob was in way over his head. No clue how to be a head coach.
3) thank you HCDM for leading us out of the darkness. It's ok if you figured out that the NFL was really where you wanted to be.
4) big Shafer backer. I think kenthusiasm and passion and emotion are needed to get us over the top now that talent is equalling out. We'll see if he, McDonald and bullough have the chops to coach on game days.
5) the Dome is our calling card. Spruce it up, fill the place and we'll have a home field advantage as good as anyone.
6) SU pr staff, marketing is horrible. This is the one area TGD has fallen short.

I'm looking forward to contributing to the board. Thanks for allowing me into this little slice of orange heaven on the www.

Florange44

I've been lurking on these boards since about 2000. This series of boards over the years is top notch! I have appreciated orangeyes every day for 13+ years. Thank you Dan. The insider info found here is great, a big thank you to the insiders and mods who contribute so much. I finally have time to post myself and hopefully contribute to the discussion.

A little about me. Born and raised in Liverpool in the 70s. Been an orange fan since going to games with my Dad at archbold and Manley. I still feel the cold cement at archbold and the swirling dirt at Manley. I loved the zoo with "so what", "who cares", etc. I was hooked. Learned about SU history reading Arnie and the old scout for years.

Graduated from Liverpool one year after Pete Holohan (still the best high school athlete I've ever seen) and Kyle fetterly. I'm a Clarkson grad ( is Bees the only other one here?). Moved to Florida in 83, been here ever since. I've been raising 3 kids and coaching travel baseball and basketball, usually able to get my syracusefan.com fix at work over lunch. I've been able to travel to a bunch of away games over the years. Highly recommend that to SU fans, always fun, even in the dark days of GRob.

3) thank you HCDM for leading us out of the darkness. It's ok if you figured out that the NFL was really where you wanted to be.
4) big Shafer backer. I think kenthusiasm and passion and emotion are needed to get us over the top now that talent is equalling out. We'll see if he, McDonald and bullough have the chops to coach on game days.
5) the Dome is our calling card. Spruce it up, fill the place and we'll have a home field advantage as good as anyone.
6) SU pr staff, marketing is horrible. This is the one area TGD has fallen short.

I'm looking forward to contributing to the board. Thanks for allowing me into this little slice of orange heaven on the www.

Florange44

Oh crap! Here we go. Who left the door open? ;-)

Florange44

I was a freshman at the 'Pool when Pete H. was a senior. Annex then House 4. He was a great athlete. They had to draw for tickets for the basketball game when the 'Pool travelled to JD to play against Danny Schayes. What a game with the Rams coming out on top. Agree with everything you said, 1-6. hhmmmmm....

Pete Holohan was the best HS basketball player I ever saw play at FM.

He was a man amongst boys.

I was always disappointed that he opted for football and ND.

I continue to believe that he would have had a great career as an SU BB player.

GOLDEN KNIGHTS!

What year did you graduate? '82?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard! Good time to be coming on - football discussion is about to get interesting again, after 10 long dark years in the depleted Big East.

I was a freshman at the 'Pool when Pete H. was a senior. Annex then House 4. He was a great athlete. They had to draw for tickets for the basketball game when the 'Pool travelled to JD to play against Danny Schayes. What a game with the Rams coming out on top. Agree with everything you said, 1-6. hhmmmmm....
I was at that game. got a seat on the bus. Raucous crowd. Still can't believe how big that JD team was. You don't see high school basketball crowds like that down here in fla. only football.

Pete was so good because he could dominate on the boards, could break a press by throwing over the top or dribbling through it, could guard anyone on the court, and was willing to pass rather than shoot. He was a billy edelin type of point guard.

Hey
GOLDEN KNIGHTS!

What year did you graduate? '82?

Hey Bees- Made it out in 4 years. Class of 82 in mech eng. Played baseball for 4 years for Jack Phillips. He was a piece of work. Great guy though. What about you?

I was at that game. got a seat on the bus. Raucous crowd. Still can't believe how big that JD team was. You don't see high school basketball crowds like that down here in fla. only football.

Dave Whiteside.

Hey
Hey Bees- Made it out in 4 years. Class of 82 in mech eng. Played baseball for 4 years for Jack Phillips. He was a piece of work. Great guy though. What about you?

'78 in mechanical and industrial eng.

Nice post! Your six positions are deserving of the highest merit, precisely because I totally agree with them! :p

Regarding position #6:

My take on what I can gather - came down to having tight budgets & no money after paying coaches, AD staff and operations. In business, marketing is usually cut first when a business is bleeding. You have to give the Doctor credit for keeping the budget balanced, unlike RU where they basically stole money from citizens of NJ to pay for what I don't really know.

Propose Updating to Position #6.1

Now that we are in the ACC and the AD budget is getting a makeover with what an extra cool $20-$30 million, I would agree with your position #6 if the same crap marketing continues in the foreseeable future.

Regarding position #6:

My take on what I can gather - came down to having tight budgets & no money after paying coaches, AD staff and operations. In business, marketing is usually cut first when a business is bleeding. You have to give the Doctor credit for keeping the budget balanced, unlike RU where they basically stole money from citizens of NJ to pay for what I don't really know.

Propose Updating to Position #6.1

Now that we are in the ACC and the AD budget is getting a makeover with what an extra cool $20-$30 million, I would agree with your position #6 if the same crap marketing continues in the foreseeable future.
Fair enough, I am willing to give more time. There are always trade-ofs. I'll start expecting more right away though.

'78 in mechanical and industrial eng.

I think my brother was '78 in mechanical. It was a great choice for him. That was one cold place though the hockey was rocking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom