Five rule changes | Syracusefan.com

Five rule changes

Small tweaks that, if called as promised, will have huge impacts.

5. Offensive players will be granted more natural movement with the ball

This is a point of emphasis that should allow for a freer game on both ends. Offensive and defensive players are allowed a certain amount of space to make natural, normal basketball moves. For the offense, a "normal basketball play" starts with either a shot attempt, a pass or a dribble. In a sentence: An offensive player should be able to make a move without having someone jamming up on them and restricting them.

"When you think about where the game has come in the past 25 years, in the post, the rules today are exactly the same as they were 25 years ago. And yet we've allowed more and more physical contact to happen, and that can't be acceptable. And what you're seeing from the rules committee is allowing offensive players the freedom to be able to allowed what they're able to do within the rules."

Collins said when teams trap or double team, fouls will likely go up as players and coaches adapt to the nuanced difference between resolute defense vs. completing impeding an offensive player's rightful space to make a basketball move. Defense is important, but smothering a player to the point of paralysis is no longer allowed.

This will likely have a huge negative impact on our baseline/sideline traps, again if called as described.

Small tweaks that, if called as promised, will have huge impacts.

This is a point of emphasis that should allow for a freer game on both ends. Offensive and defensive players are allowed a certain amount of space to make natural, normal basketball moves. For the offense, a "normal basketball play" starts with either a shot attempt, a pass or a dribble. In a sentence: An offensive player should be able to make a move without having someone jamming up on them and restricting them.

"When you think about where the game has come in the past 25 years, in the post, the rules today are exactly the same as they were 25 years ago. And yet we've allowed more and more physical contact to happen, and that can't be acceptable. And what you're seeing from the rules committee is allowing offensive players the freedom to be able to allowed what they're able to do within the rules."

Collins said when teams trap or double team, fouls will likely go up as players and coaches adapt to the nuanced difference between resolute defense vs. completing impeding an offensive player's rightful space to make a basketball move. Defense is important, but smothering a player to the point of paralysis is no longer allowed.

This will likely have a huge negative impact on our baseline/sideline traps, again if called as described.

Agreed, this is going to take some time to get done, but it's the right direction in which to head. The fundamental concept here is "the player with the ball must expect to be closely guarded." The corollary is that all other players must be given 'time and distance" in which to move, which translates roughly to "a step." With regard to the comment about trapping, the defenders are going to have to give a little more room, and it'll be on the refs to decide who initiates the contact - which is often difficult in the first place. :)

Coaches are going to have to adjust their defensive philosophies, most notably on pick/screens. In the past they have generally taught the defender to fight through the screen, and not to switch until it's absolutely necessary. This creates a ton of contact, both on and off the ball. This has today, along with hedging, rendered the essential basketball play - the pick and roll - a historical artifact. Another factor in that is coaches screen high with players who have zero offensive skills out on the perimeter. Hell, they can't even complete the pick and roll footwork, let alone catch the dump pass and score a layup. We'll see where this goes.

Another interesting idea here is the "bunny hop" in point 3. The real problem is that the NBA allows it, and too many coaches and players - and especially almost all fans - are not smart enough to understand that the NBA and NCAA rule books are different. How many times have you seen a perimeter player catch a pass, while not facing the basket and with one foot clearly on the floor (by rule, that's immediately and clearly his pivot foot), then take two steps backward to get outside the arc, then frame up and shoot a 3. Well, that's a travel. And like the article says, it's a huge advantage to the offense.

And most assuredly, it's gonna take some time, and a real commitment on behalf of players, coaches and refs to make it all fly. Once again, we'll see.

... Another interesting idea here is the "bunny hop" in point 3. The real problem is that the NBA allows it, and too many coaches and players - and especially almost all fans - are not smart enough to understand that the NBA and NCAA rule books are different. How many times have you seen a perimeter player catch a pass, while not facing the basket and with one foot clearly on the floor (by rule, that's immediately and clearly his pivot foot), then take two steps backward to get outside the arc, then frame up and shoot a 3. Well, that's a travel. And like the article says, it's a huge advantage to the offense.

And most assuredly, it's gonna take some time, and a real commitment on behalf of players, coaches and refs to make it all fly. Once again, we'll see.
IIRC the NBA rule is you can tuck the ball under your arm and sprint from foul line to foul line with it. No?

1. Coaches got some of their calling-timeout capability back

Why did they ever lose it? Let the coaches call timeouts.

2. Double-foul calls are going to rise dramatically this season

I hate this one. It's getting too complicated. This is turning into NFL catch rules. I think they should allow contact. However, if contact hits something other than a ball when trying to block a shot it's a foul. All the body contact stuff is is going to be so subjective the referees will be deciding who wins the games with their interpretations.

3. Travels are also going to spike

Duh. Why are Duke players allowed to pickup their pivot foot in the first place. Picking up the pivot foot has always been a foul. Why are they emphasizing it now? Dumb.

4. Charges should continue to go down, and the Big Ten and MAC are going to conduct an unprecedented review experiment

Referees that get emotionally involved with calls favoring the home team just suck. I like the idea they can review calls. But man there's just way too much ambiguity in block versus charge calls. It seems to me it should be more concrete. Make referees watch a bunch of videos showing what is a charge and what is not a charge. The rules should be written to emphasize less ad-hoc interpretation by the referee. It should be clear and objective. I get it that there will be moments when the edge of rule is tested. However, I just can't stand it when one week you see charge and then the next week almost the exact same play is called a block. It's just miserably inconsistent the way it is now.

I hate this one most of all. Great. Just what we need. Another set of completely ambiguous rules that referees can make highly controversial calls throwing games one way or the other. They should call this one "The Vegas Rule" because it can be used by bookies to make money off the public.

NCAA rules still need some tweaking, but they are heading in a great direction. Last year's tournament was maybe the most exciting I can ever remember, and the improved rules most definitely had something to do with that.

You might think the rules/officiating is bad now, but if you go on youtube and watch an SU game from the 80's your jaw will drop at how random and haphazard the officiating was. Its come a long way and things are starting to get better faster.

NCAA rules still need some tweaking, but they are heading in a great direction. Last year's tournament was maybe the most exciting I can ever remember, and the improved rules most definitely had something to do with that.

You might think the rules/officiating is bad now, but if you go on youtube and watch an SU game from the 80's your jaw will drop at how random and haphazard the officiating was. Its come a long way and things are starting to get better faster.

I didn't like a lot calls back in the 80s either. Maybe it's me.

Ask JB how he liked some calls that Froggy Papero (sp?) made or a few other of the "star" officials.

It doesn't matter until they start enforcing these rules consistently and actually prove they will call fouls when defenders clutch/grab/prevent movement.

... How many times have you seen a perimeter player catch a pass, while not facing the basket and with one foot clearly on the floor (by rule, that's immediately and clearly his pivot foot), then take two steps backward to get outside the arc, then frame up and shoot a 3. Well, that's a travel. And like the article says, it's a huge advantage to the offense.

How many times did Trevor Cooney catch a pass on the perimeter?

(I've seen it at least that many times.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom