Florida State article on the current ACC football divisions | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Florida State article on the current ACC football divisions

If I were Commish these would be my divisions

Division 1
Clemson
Duke
Miami
North Carolina
Pittsburgh
Virginia
Syracuse/Boston College

Division 2
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Louisville
NC State
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Syracuse/Boston College

That way each division has an anchor Clemson/Florida State and they could realistically meet in the ACCT some year.
Basically you swap one of SU/BC and Clemson for VPI and Georgia Tech.
FSU trades Clemson for VPI and GT annually and keeps a good SOS.

When we joined the conference and were placed in the Atlantic Division I quickly realized that personally I preferred the Coastal as SU opponents almost down to every team:

Miami > FSU
Va Tech > Clemson
UNC > NC State
Ga Tech > Louisville
Duke = Wake

I assumed we'd always be playing BC and Pitt annually since we'd want to maximize our northeast exposure being in a southern dominated league.

I didn't complain because I figured beggars can't be choosers, and I'd take any collection of ACC opponents over the Big East leftovers/American. But now that we've been in the league for 2 seasons I'm OK with whining about it. ;)

omniorange said:
The rumor is that they don't have the votes to go to 3-5-5, even if they get the legislation changed that may allow the doing away of divisions. All 7 Coastal teams are supposedly happy with who they play on a regular basis now, and apparently at least 1 Atlantic team is as well since it has been publicly stated that the majority of coaches like the divisions as they are currently. It's seems that FSU and SU are making the most noise (if it can even truly be called "noise") about shaking things up, but I think that FSU wants a simple swap of GT for SU whereas SU, at least when Gross was AD, appeared to be for anything that cycles teams through faster than the current 6-1-2 model. Personally, I prefer the north/south alignment with Miami in the north. But since I doubt UVa or VT want that, 3-5-5 seems to be the only fair solution. But when has college athletics ever been fair to either fans or athletes? Cheers, Neil

Sounds like the Coastal is happy they get to avoid FSU and Clemson.

So I say go ahead and swap us and GT, make BC our permanent crossover and call it a day.

Sounds like the Coastal is happy they get to avoid FSU and Clemson.

So I say go ahead and swap us and GT, make BC our permanent crossover and call it a day.

That works for me. But as much as FSU (both fans and administration) may want GT on an annual basis, I don't think GT (administration) want to face both Clemson and FSU on an annual basis. Average recruiting rankings the past 5 years, FSU is top 10, Clemson is top 20, and GT hovers around 45. I'm sure Jacket fans may think differently, although they do complain about the supposedly "higher" academic standing needed for their athletes versus FSU and Clemson. So if that is true, maybe even their fans may not want it.

Cheers,
Neil

omniorange said:
That works for me. But as much as FSU (both fans and administration) may want GT on an annual basis, I don't think GT (administration) want to face both Clemson and FSU on an annual basis. Average recruiting rankings the past 5 years, FSU is top 10, Clemson is top 20, and GT hovers around 45. I'm sure Jacket fans may think differently, although they do complain about the supposedly "higher" academic standing needed for their athletes versus FSU and Clemson. So if that is true, maybe even their fans may not want it. Cheers, Neil

Wonder how the rest of the Coastal would feel. Short term, it would probably be nice not to have to face Paul Johnson's offense. But would you really want to play in Syracuse instead of Atlanta?

If too many oppose 3-5-5, I think we should get used to the current structure. Don't see it changing.

I'm sure Jacket fans may think differently, although they do complain about the supposedly "higher" academic standing needed for their athletes versus FSU and Clemson. So if that is true, maybe even their fans may not want it.
There's no "supposedly" about it. GA Tech offers a small number of majors (34), unlike Syracuse (over 200) and others. Unless you're into engineering (4th ranked nationally), science, or business (27th nationally... well ahead of Whitman) you'd have a hard time remaining eligible. I suspect that SarasotaPaul will concur.

[disclaimer: I'm an SU grad with a son at GA Tech (rising junior in Business)]

There's no "supposedly" about it. GA Tech offers a small number of majors (34), unlike Syracuse (over 200) and others. Unless you're into engineering (4th ranked nationally), science, or business (27th nationally... well ahead of Whitman) you'd have a hard time remaining eligible. I suspect that SarasotaPaul will concur.

Plus they have to pass a full year of Calc regardless of major in order to graduate. The GIT folk constantly point that out on their board.

Your suspicions are justified. Academics at Ga Tech are held high. Not too many courses that could be used to keep the likes of a North Carolina athlete on the playing field.

https://floridastate.rvals.com/content.asp?CID=1767028
For some reason rivals won't link so just insert the "i" after r in the rivals
Interesting excerpt
One option with an eight-game schedule, Swofford said, would be to shuffle schools so that traditional rivals would be placed in the same divisions. That would mean moving Florida State, N.C. State and Clemson to the Coastal Division, or sending Miami, North Carolina and Georgia Tech to the Atlantic.

I wonder how this shakes out. It would just be easiest to flip one of UL/BC/SU to the Coastal and put GT in the Atlantic.
Put the "i" in rivals in the URL