Football Re-Seat Request | Syracusefan.com

Football Re-Seat Request

chcarlson

Walk On
Hey folks,

It's Chris Carlson from The Post-Standard and Syracuse Dot Com. Long-time lurker, as many of you know!

I'm hoping to put together a story on the first day of the re-seating process. It's a moment in time for the building and the fanbase, the first time that you all are going through something like this, and I'm hoping to be in a position where I can share how it went. Some of our readers will also be going through it in coming days and will be curious. Others will probably be interested how the whole thing went.

My hope is that you are all able to get seats you are happy with, that the process goes smoothly and that sharing your experience will allay the concerns of others who are anxious.

If it goes poorly, well, that's obviously worth giving voice to as well. Hopefully sharing your experiences and lessons will make life easier for others down the road.

I'm hoping some of you fortunate enough to be choosing your seats on May 21 would be willing to chat with me afterward.

If you're willing you can email/call/text me at ccarlson@syracuse.com or 315-382-7932. Heck, you can do that anytime you've got a question you'd like asked or something you'd like us to write about that is athletics or university-related.

If you're willing to give me advance notice that we'll be talking so I know I've got you lined up, that'd be even better.

Thanks for allowing this post and have a great weekend. Looking forward to fall!

The real story will come from those who AREN'T on the first day of seat selection. They are many die-hards that can't afford high donation levels, but have been going to games since the building was put there. Just a thought.

Hey folks,

It's Chris Carlson from The Post-Standard and Syracuse Dot Com. Long-time lurker, as many of you know!

I'm hoping to put together a story on the first day of the re-seating process. It's a moment in time for the building and the fanbase, the first time that you all are going through something like this, and I'm hoping to be in a position where I can share how it went. Some of our readers will also be going through it in coming days and will be curious. Others will probably be interested how the whole thing went.

My hope is that you are all able to get seats you are happy with, that the process goes smoothly and that sharing your experience will allay the concerns of others who are anxious.

If it goes poorly, well, that's obviously worth giving voice to as well. Hopefully sharing your experiences and lessons will make life easier for others down the road.

I'm hoping some of you fortunate enough to be choosing your seats on May 21 would be willing to chat with me afterward.

If you're willing you can email/call/text me at ccarlson@syracuse.com or 315-382-7932. Heck, you can do that anytime you've got a question you'd like asked or something you'd like us to write about that is athletics or university-related.

If you're willing to give me advance notice that we'll be talking so I know I've got you lined up, that'd be even better.

Thanks for allowing this post and have a great weekend. Looking forward to fall!

Yeah I’ll be honest the first week is mostly premium sales and suites.

I think you should try and speak with people starting roughly on March 28 and later.

Especially as you get into the 2nd week of June

I think you should try and speak with people starting roughly on March 28 and later.

I agree. I don’t pick until mid June and am quite worried about what I am going to have to “settle” for.

Honestly, this sounds like a three or four part series. Finding out how the premium donors selections went, and then two or three brackets later, etc., as to the smoothness of the experience and how the results turned out as well as the satisfaction (or lack thereof).

May?

PS (;)) Great to have you back on the sports side, Chris. The re-seating has created some angst, as you can see, although of the many changes only a few are unwelcome. Paper tickets have gone the way of the dodo, surrendering mementos (and privacy) to data giant Ticketmaster. NIL has turned major college sports into an unsavory free-for-all. And some STH's feel thrust into a bidding system that undervalues their loyalty.

But there are many positives. The University has made a commendable effort to communicate with fans during the transition. It has also invested heavily in facilities and personnel. The Dome looks amazing. It has a new roof, a giant scoreboard, enhanced wi-fi, a new naming sponsor (that didn't seem possible a few years ago), and individual seats. Alumni are being welcomed back to a manicured campus. And the University's marquis athletic programs - Men's and Women's Basketball and Lacrosse, and the Football team, all have new coaches that are bringing in recruits and generating excitement.

Looking forward to your articles as SU and its fans navigate this challenging period.

Last edited:
this whole process will be in waves.

The first bit will be people who will get basically what they want with a small variation if they are set on an exact seat row or aisle. Some of this group will also be people with lots of donor value that can move to much different locations if they really want to.

We will have a wave of people who probably stay pretty close to where they were

we will have a wave of congestion as people are forced to move on the east endone into the west

we will have a final wave of people who will have to make decisions based on slimmer pickings or because that have a large number of tickets have to move a bit to keep groups together.

We will end with a wave of newbies who could get great seats if they want to pay up or cheap seats all over.

SU has not said how they will handle the holes created in this new process. Will they be watching in real time? Will they not do anything? Will they not allow an empty seat at all?

Say for instance 1-4 is open and you have 3 tickets can you not choose 1-3? or do they let you take 1-3 and slide others within the row over to fill it? 5 min does leave much time to call and resolve that issue.

They used to always slide groups around in small ways to try and keep singles from floating around. We had 4 seats and 4 in the row behind. By the time we were done we had 4 and only 2 behind with 2 off to a side. not a huge deal but not what we bought either.

I just sent a question to my rep which has never really been addressed, and that is if I chose a seat that is lower in price than what I paid up front, will there be a refund. They keep addressing how to check out to " add" to your balance. My section was a divided section, so my seats have gone up the most of any section in the Dome, and I will be moving either across the aisle one section or across the field. I would hope that I would get a refund if warranted.

I just sent a question to my rep which has never really been addressed, and that is if I chose a seat that is lower in price than what I paid up front, will there be a refund. They keep addressing how to check out to " add" to your balance. My section was a divided section, so my seats have gone up the most of any section in the Dome, and I will be moving either across the aisle one section or across the field. I would hope that I would get a refund if warranted.
Su has said throughout this process if you select lower priced seats than you have, yes you will be refunded the difference. You wont lose the money you paid up front renewing if you get tix in a lower price range, not to worry.

Also, Im in the same section as you, the only one with the biggest price increase in the Dome. Im also thinking of moving across the field if necessary, but really want to stay there.

this whole process will be in waves.

The first bit will be people who will get basically what they want with a small variation if they are set on an exact seat row or aisle. Some of this group will also be people with lots of donor value that can move to much different locations if they really want to.

We will have a wave of people who probably stay pretty close to where they were

we will have a wave of congestion as people are forced to move on the east endone into the west

we will have a final wave of people who will have to make decisions based on slimmer pickings or because that have a large number of tickets have to move a bit to keep groups together.

We will end with a wave of newbies who could get great seats if they want to pay up or cheap seats all over.

SU has not said how they will handle the holes created in this new process. Will they be watching in real time? Will they not do anything? Will they not allow an empty seat at all?

Say for instance 1-4 is open and you have 3 tickets can you not choose 1-3? or do they let you take 1-3 and slide others within the row over to fill it? 5 min does leave much time to call and resolve that issue.

They used to always slide groups around in small ways to try and keep singles from floating around. We had 4 seats and 4 in the row behind. By the time we were done we had 4 and only 2 behind with 2 off to a side. not a huge deal but not what we bought either.
No, of course you're not going to be able to leave a single seat.

I do get why they wouldn't allow this, but this really disadvantages accounts with a larger number of tickets. It may be very tough for my 6 tickets to find an area to fit in to, especially a comparable section. Im just bracing for being disappointed

I did get information on Club 44 seats last week that can be had immediately. Certainly would be nice to flip to that or those areas but pricey with an attached time commitment.
Too big a bite of Orange at this point in life for me, especially from a distance.

bnoro is the expert on this...and I believe him. When I deal with tix reps (on my group tix purchases) they will not allow me to leave a single open seat stranded. Keep that in mind as you are trying out combos. I expect the software will block you from doing it.

From my experience if I give a group of say 7 the offer of 7 in one sole row or one row with 4 and one row with 3: they love the idea of two rows in the tightly packed group versus a string of 7 seats. So keep that in mind. Figure out if your group is ok with that if you are the buyer.

wiseman3

Last edited:
I did get information on Club 44 seats last week that can be had immediately. Certainly would be nice to flip to that or those areas but pricey with an attached time commitment.
Too big a bite of Orange at this point in life for me, especially from a distance.
My Club 44 is out in a parking lot pregame. You have a standing invite anytime.

bnoro is the expert on this...and I believe him. When I deal with tix reps (on my group tix purchases) they will not allow me to leave a single open seat stranded. Keep that in mind as you are trying out combos. I expect the software will block you from doing it.

From my experience if I give a group of say 7 the offer of 7 in one sole row or one row with 4 and one row with 3: they love the idea of two rows in the tightly packed group versus a string of 7 seats. So keep that in mind. Figure out if your group is ok with that if you are the buyer.

wiseman3
Correct. The software will block you, and a ticket rep would get a scolding from their manager if they did something like that.

I would also always recommend a 3/4 situation in two rows over 7 in a row. It's just better for the group.

I agree they wont allow 1 seat open.

But also if they are on top of the issue things should be adjusted. you could have a case of 4 open then 6 used then 4 open and you wont allow a person with 3 seats to take any of the 4 seats groups. Thats a problem.

In a normal world you are trying to fit groups into a mostly filled stadium. In this case you may have an issue with the first 3 groups that the software wont let people choose seats.

That is why they need to be able to quickly get on the phone and figure out the solution. 5 min doesnt leave much time for this to happen.

People need to be made aware that even after they choose a seat they may be slid around a small bit.

We may end up with some primo locations available well after the process starts because gaps will appear unless they stay on top of it and adjust people and locations.

Say there are 4 taken then 2 open then 4 taken then 2 open and you need 4. You can't fit in unless they slide a group around.

someone needs to be watching as it fills in and make that call.

Correct. The software will block you, and a ticket rep would get a scolding from their manager if they did something like that.

I would also always recommend a 3/4 situation in two rows over 7 in a row. It's just better for the group.
Yeah, we are currently all front row in a row. Everyone likes the front...its not the end of the world. We'll see what happens!

I agree they wont allow 1 seat open.

But also if they are on top of the issue things should be adjusted. you could have a case of 4 open then 6 used then 4 open and you wont allow a person with 3 seats to take any of the 4 seats groups. Thats a problem.

In a normal world you are trying to fit groups into a mostly filled stadium. In this case you may have an issue with the first 3 groups that the software wont let people choose seats.

That is why they need to be able to quickly get on the phone and figure out the solution. 5 min doesnt leave much time for this to happen.

People need to be made aware that even after they choose a seat they may be slid around a small bit.

We may end up with some primo locations available well after the process starts because gaps will appear unless they stay on top of it and adjust people and locations.

Say there are 4 taken then 2 open then 4 taken then 2 open and you need 4. You can't fit in unless they slide a group around.

someone needs to be watching as it fills in and make that call.
It's more of a problem to have single seats available all over the building.

Why would they slide people around when they have selected the seats that they want?

It's more of a problem to have single seats available all over the building.

Why would they slide people around when they have selected the seats that they want?

Yeah they arent moving people who have already selected seats

It’s insane to think they might even consider that

I would be pissed if they moved my seat I selected to make it work for another group? Absolute not

I donated what I did to pick before that group for a reason

Last edited:
They have always slid people around in the past. If you have 5 seats and drop 1 they often move people to not leave a single open if possible.

Do you think they want to end up with 2 used 2 open 2 use 2 open 2 used 2 open all the way across a row?

we have never tried to fill 100% of the seats at one time. Normally we have the same seats then 5-10% dont renew and things get adjusted then people fill in.

if you want row 1 and you need 5 seats and there are 12 empty ones in the row but no groups bigger than 4 are you going to be happy then? Or are you going to call because you can see the open seats and ask for help?

It was always said when we bought season tickets the location was not Permanant and could be adjusted as needed by the school. I think it even said so in the fine print at one point.

You are also saying that if there are 8 free seats and you have 7 your group is fine with not being able to choose that block?

I was able to purchase a single season ticket in the front row of 328 a few years ago. I'm hoping I'll be able to do the same this time around as well, just in the opposite end zone.

They have always slid people around in the past. If you have 5 seats and drop 1 they often move people to not leave a single open if possible.

Do you think they want to end up with 2 used 2 open 2 use 2 open 2 used 2 open all the way across a row?

we have never tried to fill 100% of the seats at one time. Normally we have the same seats then 5-10% dont renew and things get adjusted then people fill in.

if you want row 1 and you need 5 seats and there are 12 empty ones in the row but no groups bigger than 4 are you going to be happy then? Or are you going to call because you can see the open seats and ask for help?

It was always said when we bought season tickets the location was not Permanant and could be adjusted as needed by the school. I think it even said so in the fine print at one point.

You are also saying that if there are 8 free seats and you have 7 your group is fine with not being able to choose that block?
They're not going to end up with 2 used 2 open 2 used 2 open but if they do so be it, someone will grab those two. And if there are 8 free seats and you have 7, either buy the eighth or pick a different location.

Can't imagine being your ticket rep.

Great.
Because we have people saying I want my seats that I donated money to get.
Then we have it being said I can't pick my seats because it leaves 1 seat.

They know the avg group has X number. 4-5 whatever it is. They have always had to just fill a few seats in any location every year.

But when we allow people to pick with no guidance there wont be issues.?

you just have 1 row with many groups of 4 that all fit fine. Now one group slides over a seat or 2 and that whole row won't fit any more.

This isnt a plane or bus or movie plex where its 1 off and people cant sit together for 1 event. This is the next 20-30 yrs for some people.

It is even more confusing when seats are being removed from a row.

How many empty seats were in the prime locations? groups of 3-4 might not find spots and have to move a large amount. Those people are paying big dollars down there.

if its a non issue thats even better.

But why are teams like the BIlls worried about this with their new building and we are not thinking its an issue at all here?

Great.
Because we have people saying I want my seats that I donated money to get.
Then we have it being said I can't pick my seats because it leaves 1 seat.

They know the avg group has X number. 4-5 whatever it is. They have always had to just fill a few seats in any location every year.

But when we allow people to pick with no guidance there wont be issues.?

you just have 1 row with many groups of 4 that all fit fine. Now one group slides over a seat or 2 and that whole row won't fit any more.

This isnt a plane or bus or movie plex where its 1 off and people cant sit together for 1 event. This is the next 20-30 yrs for some people.

It is even more confusing when seats are being removed from a row.

How many empty seats were in the prime locations? groups of 3-4 might not find spots and have to move a large amount. Those people are paying big dollars down there.

if its a non issue thats even better.

But why are teams like the BIlls worried about this with their new building and we are not thinking its an issue at all here?
I don't think anyone has said it's not an issue? But if there are 5 seats in row 2 and you need 4, and there are 4 seats in row 3, that's not a monumental change in your game experience.

Any groups of more than 4 are rare. And I'm sure the ticket reps will be working with people as they go through the process.

You're inventing scenarios in your head that will be even more rare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom