Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
flag.jpg

Welcome to Patriot's Day!

Patriots' Day (officially Patriots' Day in Massachusetts and Wisconsin andPatriot's Day in Maine[1]) is an official state holiday commemorating the anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and Concord, the first battles of theAmerican Revolutionary War. The holiday was originally celebrated on April 19, the actual anniversary of the battles (fought in 1775).

Since 1969, it has been observed on the third Monday in April inMassachusetts[2] and in Maine,[3] (which until the mid-19th century was part of Massachusetts). The Monday holiday creates a three-day long weekend. It is also the first day of a vacation week for public schools in both states and a school holiday for many local colleges and universities, both public and private.

The day is a public school observance day in Wisconsin.[4] Florida law also encourages people to celebrate it, though it is not treated as a public holiday.[5]

SU News

Nike EYBL Notebook: Saturday April 16th (cityofbasketballlove.com; Verlin and Rosenfeld)

quade-green-2.jpg

Quade Green (2017/PSA Cardinals)

There was no surprise ESPNU handpicked the PSA Cardinals vs. California Supreme matchup as the EYBL Session I game that it would broadcast.

Both marque Nike programs feature elite 2017 big men, as PSA’s Mohammed Bamba and Supreme’sDeAndre Ayton both find themselves in the top five of most class rankings.

So come 2:00, the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal’s main court was packed to the prim with a healthy mix of fans, parents, scouts, and of course, high-major coaches from all over the country. Certainly quite the atmosphere for one to make his EYBL debut.

“This was my first EYBL game ever, so I was nervous. I saw Calipari, Roy Williams, so I was just nervous out there, for the first two minutes then we started getting on a roll,” said Neumann-Goretti guard Quade Green, the newest member of the PSA Cardinals’ backcourt. “I wasn’t worried about [the atmosphere], even though it was on ESPN, but I wasn’t really worried about it. Just trying to get the win.”

Green is certainly no stranger to the major sneaker circuits, having helped lead WeR1 to the Under Armour Association’s regular season championship last summer. It was previously expected that he would make his return to the Nike circuit with Philly’s Team Final.

But according to Green, he and the area’s only Nike program “bumped head” a bit, so he instead opted a few weeks later to make the move up I-95 to the New York-based Cardinals.

“We all family at the end of the day, no bad blood between us,” he said of the situation with Team Final. “I talked to them and told them I was gonna play with the Cardinals, then [PSA program director] Munch [Williams] had dinner with me and my mom.”

So now Green finds himself “driving the Ferrari” that is the loaded Cardinals 17U squad, featuring Bamba and fellow Westtown standout Brandon Randolph, four-star Blair Academy center Deng Gak, and a slew of other high-major recruits.

And after the slow start he mentioned above, Green channelled his inner Dale Earnhardt, racking up 17 points and 10 assists in a 69-68 win to kick off his first and only EYBL campaign.

“Everybody’s just talking about making it to Peach Jam,” he said of his new teammates. “It’s a big challenge for me, going outside my comfort zone of Philadelphia and playing with Team Final, but I did it for me though.
lonnie-walker-2.jpg

Lonnie Walker

--Huge game from Lonnie Walker (2017/Reading) in Team Final’s opening game, as the five-star wing got off for 23 points on blistering 10-of-13 shooting. Walker got his points in a variety of ways, displaying his highly advanced midrange game and an improved handle that he used to get all the way to the rim on several occasions. None bigger, though, than the game’s deciding play, in which Walker spun off his defender before absorbing contact and finishing with just 12 seconds left to give Team Final a lead that they would not relinquish. With a couple more performances like this one, Walker could have the blue bloods calling with scholarship offers before he knows it.
--Despite an 8AM start and some traffic issues causing his Albany City Rocks team to arrive late,Hameir Wright (2017/Albany Academy) put together a breakout performance in his own EYBL opener. Nearly all of his 15 points came in the second half, with names like Jim Boeheim, Roy Williams, Tom Izzo, Sean Miller, and Jay Wright all watching from the sidelines. Villanova, while yet to offer the emerging 6-foot-6 wing, has been involved with Wright for a while now, with some recent developments putting the Wildcats in what seems like a great spot.

“Huge impact,” he said when asked how the ‘Nova’s national championship victory could affect his recruitment. “It shows that they have a championship program. It can’t be overlooked. I met all the guys over there and they’re really cool, I really like them. I look forward to being more involved with ‘Nova.”

jim-boeheim-syracuse-university-head-basketball-coach_14sqkho5es2gy1xax1d1jrj6bw.jpg

Jim Boeheim Will Achieve a Huge Milestone (Again) to Syracuse Next Season (the juice; Stechschulte)

As the embers of the twilight of the 2015-2016 Syracuse basketball season die out, Orange fans should make note that head coach Jim Boeheim will achieve a most noteworthy accomplishment.

While next year’s schedule is not yet set for Syracuse, sometime around the holidays, fans of the program will have something momentous to celebrate.

Yes, the list of ACC opponents is set and a few non-conference foes are known (St. John’s, South Carolina, Monmouth, a team from the Washington DC area whose name I choose to keep out of my mouth/off my fingers), but most of the non-conference slate is clear right now and almost no dates are set.

But, that 12th win next season will be another day when the odometer flips over to a nice, round number once more for Boeheim. Win #900.

Yes, you bought a ”900 wins” t-shirt a few years ago and as soon as Syracuse notches their 11th win next season, you know you can pull it out of the drawer for the next SU game in anticipation of Boeheim winning his 900th game.

Again.

After all, that 900th win will once again put him in front of Bobby Knight as the second-winningest head coach in NCAA Division I men’s basketball history.

Other

20142430-mmmain.jpg

http://www.syracuse.com/us-news/ind...s_sonic_brueggers_more.html#incart_river_home

Tax Day 2016: Free Food, Special Deals From Chili's, Sonic, Bruegger's, etc. (PS; Axelson)

FREE FOOD
Great American Cookie: Stop by participating stores for a free original chocolate chip cookie on April 18th. Locations »

Hard Rock Cafe: Brave customers can sing for a free burger between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. on April 18. Check with your local Hard Rock, as sign-ups might be required.

IHOP: Kids eat free every day through May 6 from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. with the purchase of an adult entree.

Kona Ice: The food truck franchise has dubbed the 18th National Chill Out Day, and is offering free shaved ice to all customers.

Noodles & Company: Free kids meal for your little deductibles with the order of one regular entree. Kids must be present. Locations »

Tilted Kilt: The chain's Tilted Kilt Clan members can get free pre-game pickles with any $10 purchase on April 18.

Tony Roma's: Free desert with a coupon if you are a member of the chain's email club. Coupon good through April 29.

World of Beer: Get a free beer (actually $5 off your bill) on April 18. Offer only good at New York, Virginia, North Carolina and Texas locations.

FREE FOR CPAS
Banana's: One free Banana's "Frostie" smoothie (strawberries, bananas and ice, with added Red Bull Yellow Edition) for Certified Professional Accountants when they present a valid CPA license. Locations »