Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
national-shrimp-day.png

Welcome to National Shrimp Day!

Bubba: Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.

SU News

5730a7ade0f8a.image.jpg

Bonnies Land Syracuse Transfer (oleantimesherald.com; Butler)

To the St. Bonaventure men’s basketball team and its fans, their program represented the perfect fit for Syracuse transfer Chinonso Obokoh.

In the end, the Rochester product felt the same.

Obokoh has chosen to continue his Division I career with the Bonnies, multiple outlets reported Saturday. The 6-10 center, who is scheduled to graduate from Syracuse this month, currently has one remaining season and will be eligible to play immediately due to graduate transfer rules.

CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein was the first to report the decision made by Obokoh, who chose Bona over Rutgers after visiting both schools last week.

“I think ultimately it came down to having the ability to play meaningful minutes on a good team that has a great chance to make it to the NCAA Tournament,” Obokoh told SNY’s Adam Zagoria. “When you pair that with the recent success the Bonnies’ staff has had with their bigs, it was a no-brainer.”

If nothing else, Obokoh to Bona seems to be a good match.

The 2013 Bishop Kearney graduate had said from the outset that he wanted to transfer to a school that would give him an opportunity to start right away. He will almost certainly get that chance at Bona, which lost center Jordan Tyson to transfer, leading rebounder Dion Wright to graduation and was entering a second-straight offseason with little depth in the frontcourt.

usa-today-8968851.0.jpg

ACC-B1G Challenge Syracuse Opponent Looks to Probably be Maryland or Purdue (TNIAAM; Weinheimer)

Mike Waters of Syracuse.com has it narrowed down to two teams.

Mike Waters of Syracuse.com has a theory on who Syracuse will play in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge next season, and it's a good one. Considering factors such as whom the Orange played in previous challenges along with teams who are "owed" (for lack of a better term) a home game, the potential matchups could be Penn State, Northwestern, Purdue or Maryland. Waters believes that for television ratings purposes the Orange are looking at a road game with either Purdue or Maryland:

The ACC and Big Ten try to match up teams according to their expected strength. It not only avoids bad match-ups, but it creates better TV games.

With Syracuse expected to be solid if not very good, depending on Malachi Richardson's NBA decision, one wouldn't expect the Orange to be paired with Penn State or Northwestern, who will struggle to make it out of the bottom half of the Big Ten.

That leaves Purdue and Maryland.

While I think this line of reasoning could absolutely come true, it wouldn't surprise me to see Syracuse play any of those four teams. While strong match ups definitely help drive ratings, the fact that Syracuse has such a large fan base and is spread out throughout the country tells me that they could be matched up with Penn State or Northwestern for the sole reasoning being to raise the profile of games involving "lower tier" teams.

Richmond-Syracuse-Hopkins-e1457982053632.jpg

Remembering the Richmond Upset: 25 Years Ago and It Still Stings (the juice; Auger)

Lost in the glory of Syracuse’s unexpected run to the Final Four this season was that this year marked the twenty-fifth anniversary of Syracuse being the first 2-seed to lose to a 15-seed. Yeah, I know, way to deflate a room. My apologies if you just pushed the bowl of Corn Flakes away from you but I digress.

No matter where you turned the next day, there was no escaping such a crushing, embarrassing loss. Mercifully the internet and social media wasn’t what it is today. *Exhales* Since the Orange lost to Richmond back in 1991, seven other 2-seeds have fallen by the wayside.

1993: Santa Clara over Arizona, 64-61: NBA great Steve Nash helped pull the upset over a Wildcats team that had Damon Stoudamire, Khalid Reeves and Chris Mills.

1997: Coppin State over South Carolina, 78-65: The Eagles picked a great time to notch the program’s first ever NCAA Tournament win against B.J. McKie and the Gamecocks.

2001: Hampton over Iowa State, 58-57: Former SU hoopster Lasean Howard helped lead the Pirates to the nail-biter over Jamaal Tinsley and the Cyclones. Lasean Howard. Really??? Ten years later there had to be some type of Orange juju working in that one.

2012: Norfolk State over Missouri, 86-84: The Spartans got 26 points from current Knick (who knew?) Kyle O’Quinn in nipping Phil Pressey and Kim English. But who cares? That was the undercard for 2012 upsets.

Discussion Over Potential ACC Network Could Foreshadow Similar Talks for Big 12 (mysanantonio.com; Griffin)

Big 12 officials will be closely monitoring reports from the Atlantic Coast Conference's annual spring meetings this week in Amelia Island, Fla., as that network considers discussion about a potential conference network.

The Big 12 and ACC are apart among Power Five conferences who have their own television networks. The ACC's discussion will likely have ramifications when the Big 12 discusses its only potential for a similar all-sports television network.

“TV is always a topic of conversation,” Miami AD Blake James told the Orlando Sentinel. “… I’m interested in hearing what the people from ESPN have to say and what our conference has to say.

“With that said, I have full confidence in Commissioner [John] Swofford and our partners at ESPN that whatever game plan they come up with will be best for our program long-term.”

The ACC, much like the Big 12, has been studying its television options while lagging behind the Big Ten, Pac-12 and Southeastern Conferences who already have television networks which are operational.

The Sentinel reports that there have been media reports over the past few months that there is a clause in the ACC's current deal with ESPN where the network would have to pay the ACC $45 million if there is not an agreement in place by July 1.

Other

20310869-mmmain.png

108 SU Faculty Members Feel Left Out of Major Campus Promenade Project (PS; McMahon)

More than 100 members of the Syracuse University faculty feel they've been left out of a major campus construction project that would turn a city street into a pedestrian promenade.

Syracuse University plans to transform a large segment of University Place between South Crouse Avenue and College Place into the University Place Promenade, which could feature outdoor furniture, heated sidewalks and free wi-fi. The portion of the street that would be closed to traffic is currently only used by Centro buses, service vehicles and permitted employees. Other vehicles are not allowed on University Place.

An online petition criticizing the project was signed by 108 faculty members. They say the project has moved forward without genuine opportunities for faculty input. Faculty members also listed concerns about traffic bottlenecks, accessibility to people with disabilities and weather.

University administrators have said the project was made public 18 months ago, and all of those factors have been considered.

The tension over the project is occurring during an era of "fiscal discipline," the phrase Chancellor Kent Syverud used to describe a series of belt-tightening measures the university has taken to balance its budget.

A year ago, a report commissioned by SU found that it was spending millions more than it was collecting in revenue. Months later, 264 employees took a buyout offered by SU to cut its payroll. Syverud said at the time that 141 of the employees would be replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom