Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
untitled-38_1x.png

Welcome to Plaidury Day!

Plaidurday is the worldwide celebration of plaid. It occurs annually on the first Friday of October. There are lots of ways to celebrate! With plaid we can all make a positive impact in the world.

A BRIEF HISTORY
It all began in Lansing, Michigan. In part, it was inspired by the heckling one young man received from his co-workers. These co-workers (who he secretly has great admiration for) noticed that he was wearing plaid quite frequently. At which point we ask, what else would he wear? Solid colors? Polka dots? Stripes that don’t intersect? Argyle? Sounds foolish.

On the morning of August 26, 2010, an epiphany was had. Plaidurday! The word came to this young man’s mind. From where, nobody knows. But perhaps there is a higher being who happens to love plaid just as much as he does.

The part-ginger, full-Yooper, plaid-wearing man was destined to create the greatest holiday that ever existed. Plaidurday: The Worldwide Celebration of Plaid.

SU News

85409983.0.jpg

Would an early-season ‘Big East Tournament’ make sense for Syracuse? (TNIAAM; Szuba)

For many people (read: #DisloyalIdiots) around the country, college basketball is a three-week sport in late March and into April. Ratings are relatively low across the board as college basketball is unable to capture the attention it rightfully deserves throughout the regular season.

Of course, you watch every Syracuse Orange basketball game because you’re a loyal idiot. That’s why you’re reading this post! But what can be done to make the college basketball non-conference schedule more watchable?

Having more ranked teams face one another is slightly effective. We see this through events like the Champion’s Classic and Maui Invitational. Intra-P5 match-ups like the ACC/Big 10 challenge help. One-off games against between top ten opponents certainly has appeal, but what most of these games lack is meaning. There’s limited history behind a Kansas versus Duke game. Michigan State and Kentucky isn’t personal like Syracuse versus Georgetown or Duke versus North Carolina.

These things all help, but what needs to be done is to make people feel in the non-conference. One of the most effective ways to do that is to play to nostalgia. Our friends over at BC Interruption have a proposition: Why not have a preseason old Big East style tournament in early December?

Sean’s favorite posts from TNIAAM’s first ten years (TNIAAM; Keeley)

I’ve written a lot of posts about Syracuse Orange sports in the past ten years. Too many, you might say. Most of them have been lost to the search engine of time but every now and then I would put together something I was particularly proud of. The Octonion always has a special place in my heart but re-formatting and network changes have unfortunately messed with most of those early posts. For the best really considering how the shoddy quality of the photo alignment (It was the Aughts, we didn’t know better).

But I did go back and dig up a few posts that I’m particularly proud of that also remain readable. There’s probably no better time than this anniversary to put them together. It also makes for a fun trip down memory lane, like a TNIAAM-based 30 for 30, only this one is called 4 for 10, which doesn’t really make sense. For us, that’s perfect.

This might be self-serving and obnoxious, but, isn’t that what drives blogging anyway?

Here's To You, Andrew Robinson

Andrew Robinson might be the greatest Syracuse quarterback who never was. As I mention in the piece, there was a time when he and WR Mike Williams were going to be the Dungey - Etta-Tawo of their day. That both fizzled out was perhaps a damning indictment of Greg Robinson’s tenure but also tribute to the futility of that era.

These days, if a quarterback gets demoted or told they’re not going to play the position anymore, they’re pretty likely to transfer. They are well within their rights to do so, but Robinson decided to put his head down, try his best at a new position, and represent the Orange to the best of his ability. In a way, he was the prototype by which we hope all our student-athletes face adversity.

I still feel like the kicker works, too.

8184787-garrett-temple-carmelo-anthony-paul-pierce-nba-washington-wizards-new-york-knicks-850x560.jpg

Syracuse basketball icon garners ultimate respect from Paul Pierce (insidetheloudhouse.com; Edsen Jr)

Former Syracuse basketball star Carmelo Anthony has done quite well for himself in the NBA. And future Hall of Famer Paul Pierce gave quite the compliment in a recent article.
The Syracuse basketball program has seen many stars over the years, but perhaps none brighter than that of Carmelo Anthony. Well that star just got a bit brighter with the recent comments from future Hall of Famer, Paul Pierce.

Pierce has been around the block in the NBA. He spent the majority of his career with the Boston Celtics. While over the years he has made stops in Brooklyn, Washington, and most recently with his hometown Los Angeles Clippers.

Well it’s official, “The Truth”, will call it a career after 19 seasons in the league. Pierce was drafted 10th overall by the Boston Celtics in 1998. Since that point Pierce has played against some of the premiere talent this league has to offer.

So in the “Players Tribune” he revealed his list of the five toughest players that he had played against in his illustrious NBA career. There were a lot of the big names you expected: the killer instinct of Kobe Bryant, the magic of Tracy McGrady, the athleticism of Vince Carter, and even a modern name in LeBron James cracked the list. But perhaps the most surprising name of them all was at the top of the heap.

“If I had to single one guy out who is the most difficult player to guard in the league, it would have to be Carmelo. He’s a unique blend of being big, strong, and athletic while also having a world-class shooting touch and a natural ability to get to the rim. That’s what sets him apart — every facet of his game is elite.” via the Players Tribune by Paul Pierce

Anthony will go down as one of the most prolific scorers the league has ever seen. Pierce continued on in his piece saying that Melo has no weakness in his game.

Other

21259178-mmmain.jpg

Joe Buck says hair plug addiction nearly ended his broadcasting career (PS; Burrows)

Rather than helping prolong Joe Buck's career, hair plug treatments nearly ended it, according to Sports Illustrated's Richard Deitsch.

The Fox Sports announcer told SI on Wednesday that an addiction to hair plugs nearly ended his career in 2011 after one treatment left him with a paralyzed vocal cord.

Buck admitted to SI that he originally lied about how he paralyzed his vocal cord before the beginning of the 2011 MLB regular season by telling people he developed a virus.

In reality, he recalls waking up after his eighth procedure without the ability to speak.

This movie could have been about me. Hair plug addiction nearly cost Joe Buck his career Ps I want @jimcarrey's hair by the way. pic.twitter.com/rOOM1DsFEh

— Joe Buck (@Buck) October 6, 2016
Buck says he became addicted to hair plugs after his first procedure at the age of 24 and the cruel TV business motivated him to fly to New York City to get procedures whenever his schedule had a break.

"Broadcasting is a brutal, often unfair business, where looks are valued more than skill," Buck wrote in his upcoming memoir, according to SI. "I was worried that if I lost my hair, I would lose my job. OK, that's bulls----. It was vanity. Pure vanity. I just told myself I was doing it for TV."

He later continued on battling insecurities about his appearance:

John Gillon, Syracuse: Jim Boeheim needs a point guard for this season and Gillon will get a crack at the job. A graduate transfer from Colorado State, the 6-0 guard averaged 13.2 points and 3.8 assists last season.

Andrew White, Syracuse: A gifted offensive player, White averaged 16.6 points last season at Nebraska while making 87 shots from three-point range. Syracuse needed a quality wing to replace Malachi Richardson and that’s just what they got with White, who should provide the Orange with another quality perimeter threat next to freshman Tyus Battle.

John Gillon, Syracuse: Jim Boeheim needs a point guard for this season and Gillon will get a crack at the job. A graduate transfer from Colorado State, the 6-0 guard averaged 13.2 points and 3.8 assists last season.

Andrew White, Syracuse: A gifted offensive player, White averaged 16.6 points last season at Nebraska while making 87 shots from three-point range. Syracuse needed a quality wing to replace Malachi Richardson and that’s just what they got with White, who should provide the Orange with another quality perimeter threat next to freshman Tyus Battle.

BJ Johnson also got a mention.

Franklin Howard, Syracuse: The Orange need a lead guard to emerge next season and that could be Howard. The 6-4 guard only averaged 1.6 points and made two three-point shots last year as a freshman, but Jim Boeheim quietly really likes this kid’s game. Don’t be shocked if Howard makes a major jump and is Syracuse’s starting point guard by the start of ACC play.

Basketball tickets: alumni presale starts Tuesday!

Syracuse University Athletics is pleased to partner with the Syracuse University Alumni Association for our annual alumni presale ticket offer. Secure your seats before tickets go on sale to the general public.

The presale is ONLINE only. It starts this Tuesday, October 11 at 10 a.m. EDT and ends Friday, October 14 at 12:00 p.m. EDT.

Please follow these instructions to purchase tickets:

1. Click the link below.
  2. Click “Find Tickets” for the game(s) you are interested in attending.
  3. Enter promo code SUALUMS16
  4. Choose one of the navy blue sections with available seats OR choose the price level you are interested in purchasing.
  5. Choose each seat you would like to purchase or the set of seats you would like to purchase.
  6. Once you have selected your seats, click “Add to Cart”
  7. Log in to your MyCuse account (if you have one) or create a new account.
  8. Select your preferred delivery method.
  9. Click the checkout button.
  10. Enter your credit card information and agree to the terms of use box before submitting your order.
  11. Click the Orange “Print” button to instantly download and print your tickets via PDF if you chose “Ticket Fast” as your delivery method.
PURCHASE TICKETS!

We’ll see you in the Dome!