Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

Chukwu named to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Watch List

passthru_imagecredit_Chukwu_preseason_graphic_WEB.jpg

chris carlson ‏@ccarlsononSU
Jim Boeheim speaks to reporters during Syracuse's basketball media day.

Boeheim: When you say you have to go to the Final Four, that's foolish. That's a really difficult thing to do.

Those who are prematurely predicting a Final Four "are on dot-coms. And they're on dot-coms for a reason."

Boeheim: I think it's very hard when you talk Final Fours. The two best teams with record were Arizona and Virginia. They did not go.

Boeheim: it's going to take a while to fit these things together. Boeheim stresses this could be the best team he's had in a while. Could be

Boeheim: In the regular-season we were not very good. We played good in the tournament. That doesn't take away from the fact we weren't good

Boeheim: we're a long way away. We have a lot of work to do.

Boeheim: I think all of our freshmen are playing well. Matt Moyer has made up a lot of ground. Very happy with that.

Boeheim: Lower-body strength still an issue for Chukwu. Upper-body is much better. He didn't play offense in high school. He's much better.

Boeheim: I think Dajuan has improved. Not playing in two years is tough. I think he's playing better. I can't say enough about him.

Boeheim: I think all our returning players I see a significant improvement. Frank with his physicality and shooting. Lydon big and strong

Boeheim: We've always liked to press. It's hard to press in college basketball. There's too many good coaches. You can't with 7 guys.

Boeheim: If we get into the season and the press isn't there we won't use it. This team should be able to press more.

Boeheim: I think (Lydon) is a normal progression. He still has a lot of good players (lists rotation guys).

Boeheim on short bench reputation: If you're smart enough to look through the records, you know we do.

Boeheim on Louisville: I'm only concerned about Syracuse.

Boeheim on protesting: Gave nuanced answer, said he thinks of troops but respects player rights to protest what they care about.

Boeheim: Said he will talk to players about national anthem protests, listen to them. Has not yet.

Boeheim on fifth-year transfers: I don't like the rule, but it's there. If you can help your team, you help your team.

Boeheim on fifth-year transfer: If Malachi had stayed we probably wouldn't have taken one. You can't get a (recruit) at that point.

Boeheim on 3s: Last year that was the best way for us to score. We'll do some other things this year. But that's part of the game now.

Boeheim on Roberson offense: He is what he is. He's not going to change a lot. He's made improvements. To make jump needs to hit 15-footer.

Last edited: