Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
b27-natl-cliche-day.jpg

Welcome to Cliche Day!

I kid you not. Would I lie to you?

Now that I’ve let the cat out of the bag, please don’t shoot me. I’m just the messenger. It’s right here in black and white, in Chase’s 2006 Calendar of Events. “Use cliché’s as much as possible today,” advises Wellcat Herbs and Holidays, the sponsor of the observance.

Trust me, you’ll want to be prepared for Cliché Day, lest you get left out in the cold or caught with your pants down. Practice makes perfect, and once you get the hang of it, it’s easy as pie. So why not begin right now using clichés to your heart’s content?

I sense that many of you are not jumping at the chance to hop on the bandwagon. What’s the matter? Got cold feet?

By all means, it’s okay if you don’t swallow the idea hook line and sinker. Rome wasn’t built in a day, after all. But please, at least meet me half way on this. You may not be an eager beaver now, but once you get in the swing of it, it’s like stealing candy from a baby.

SU News

Elite 2017 recruit Quade Green sets date for college announcement (PS; Waters)

Quade Green, one of the highest-rated prospects in the 2017 class, will make his college announcement on Saturday, Nov. 19.

The five schools still in contention for Green are Syracuse, Duke, Kentucky, Villanova and Temple.

Green, a 6-1 senior at Neumann-Goretti High School in Philadelphia, set the date for his announcement on his Twitter page.

Committing nov 19

— LiL AI (@Q_Green1) November 3, 2016
ESPN.com ranks Green as the No. 22 player in the 2017 class.

Green recently took an official visit to the Syracuse campus. He was at Orange Madness on Oct. 21.

paschal-mainjpg-1dcc2890b8d218ff.jpg

Paschal Chukwu makes his Syracuse basketball debut and proves that size matters (PS; Ditota)

At one point in Syracuse's 83-65 exhibition win over Indiana (Pa.) University, the generously listed 6-foot guard Dante Lombardi drove the lane, encountered Paschal Chukwu and decided his best option was to dribble out of looming disaster.

"That's always something they want me to do, to be a presence in there," said Chukwu, the 7-foot-2 Syracuse center.

The Providence transfer played his first game in about 19 months on Tuesday. Jim Boeheim described the big guy as "rusty" and Chukwu, in the relative privacy of the Orange locker room, lamented the things he failed to do in his Syracuse debut.
He played 21 minutes off the bench, scored four points on 2-of-4 shooting, collected five rebounds, blocked two shots and was credited with two steals.

He had hoped to make a splashier entrance. Chukwu kept lingering on the mistakes. The rebounds that slipped his grasp. The blocks that eluded him. The shots he could have converted.

"He fouled down there on a shot he should never foul on," Boeheim said. "He had a shot in the lane that he'll get better at. He's gotta get better being strong, getting the ball and going right back up with it. Those are all things he's gotta work on. He's worked really hard to get stronger but he's still limited a little bit. I thought overall, he was good. He's had some really good days in practice, but he's got a lot of work to do. He's going to play."

Chukwu vowed to devote time to the film room, where he can watch what transpired in the Dome Tuesday with unbiased eyes. He is easing himself back into game action, into situations that take timing and talent and repetition at a game he came to relatively late in his young life.

No. 14 Syracuse preview: Newcomers lead the Orange (si.com; Thamel)

This article originally appeared in the Nov. 7, 2016, issue of Sports Illustrated. Subscribe to the magazine here. Find the rest of our college basketball preview package here.

Andrew White III’s teammates call him Uncle Drew, a nod to Kyrie Irving’s graybeard alter ego in television commercials. White, 23, is ancient for a Division I star. He’s a graduate transfer who divided his previous four years between Kansas and Nebraska. In his fifth season and third conference, he’s showing coach Jim Boeheim what he’s learned along the way.

The 6' 7" guard arrives an hour early for practice to foam-roll his muscles and carries a jug of water around campus to stay hydrated. He has also emerged as the Orange’s likely leading scorer, flashing a feathery three-point touch (41.2% last year) and the decision-making to thrive in its pick-and-roll-based offense. “He’s a pro,” says assistant Adrian Autry of White, who declared for the June draft after averaging 16.6 points for the Cornhuskers, then withdrew his name. “We really needed someone like him.”

White’s role includes a slot atop Syracuse’s 2–3 zone, where he’ll join a suffocating duo of similarly pterodactyl-limbed guards, 6' 5" sophomore Frank Howard and 6' 6" freshman Tyus Battle. The consensus No. 31 recruit, Battle is a gifted finisher who could become an insta-scorer off the bench à la Dion Waiters in 2010–11 and ’11–12. For now he’s learning the college game from Uncle Drew, who is fitting in as if he has been around forever.

0575460001478113270_usatodaysportsimages.jpg.jpg

'Cuse News :: Syracuse Basketball and the Zonel (cusenews.com)

It is apparent that Syracuse basketball may be doing the unbelievable thing this year--playing some man-to-man defense (M2M), rather than the trademark 2-3 zone. This may be new and unexpected, but it is not a bad thing whatsoever.

As a preliminary matter, it is obvious that Syracuse's roster was recruited to the 2-3 zone and that defense should be used the overwhelming majority of time. At the same time, there are more graduated transfer this year, players with experience playing M2M. So if there was ever a year to roll out this wrinkle, it is this year.

This writer thinks that there are two key times when the M2M will be useful. The first is when a team is solving the 2-3 zone. While there are wrinkles in the 2-3 zone that allow the defense to adapt to the opponent's success, it would be useful to occasionally switch to M2M to stem the momentum. If a team is passing well through the zone and effectively using its bigs to pass for open 3's, a M2M defense could disturb that smoothness. After a few possessions against a M2M defense, perhaps the offense would lose some of its rhythm. What is there to lose?

Other

3 accused of illegally netting salmon from Upstate NY creek listed as toxic site (PS; AP)

Three men are accused of poaching salmon from a New York creek during the annual salmon run.

Authorities said the men were nabbed in Niagara County after using an illegal hook and net at night, the Buffalo News reported.

Conservation officers spotted the men about 2 a.m. Wednesday after coming across several garbage bags of freshly caught salmon, officials said. The officers were patrolling the Lake Ontario shoreline and its tributaries, including the Burt Dam area of 18-mile Creek.

One of the men was arrested in a pickup truck. Another was caught hiding in the brush and the third was arrested after swimming across the creek.

The men illegally netted 69 salmon weighing from five to 35 pounds, authorities said..

Sergey Yatchuk of Getzville; Petro Parfenyk of Erie, Pennsylvania; and Mikhail Sakalosh of Spartanburg, South Carolina were jailed on 32 fishing violations. The alleged violations include fishing without a license, taking fish over the daily limit and illegal fishing at night, the DEC said.

The Buffalo News reported that fish from the creek have a "do-not-eat" advisory from the state Health Department because the body of water is on a federal Superfund list of toxic sites.

It's unknown if the suspects have lawyers.

DEC officers nab 3 alleged salmon poachers in Niagara County: DEC officers nab 3 alleged salmon poachers in Niagara County - The Buffalo News pic.twitter.com/0894ftVUHN

Holy smokes this clip was great. I know it "highlights" the good times, but it feels so good. So pumped for this season. Almost feel like we can 10 point deficits to start the game! Well, no not really. ;)