Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to D-Day!

On June 6, 1944, more than 160,000 Allied troops landed along a 50-mile stretch of heavily-fortified French coastline, to fight Nazi Germany on the beaches of Normandy, France. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower called the operation a crusade in which, “we will accept nothing less than full victory.” More than 5,000 Ships and 13,000 aircraft supported the D-Day invasion, and by day’s end, the Allies gained a foot-hold in Continental Europe. The cost in lives on D-Day was high. More than 9,000 Allied Soldiers were killed or wounded, but their sacrifice allowed more than 100,000 Soldiers to begin the slow, hard slog across Europe, to defeat Adolf Hitler’s crack troops.

SU News

usp_ncaa_basketball-_duke_at_syracuse.jpg

John Gillon Talks Syracuse, the NBA and More With The Fizz – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Aki)

John Gillon is a busy man these days. He’s chasing an NBA dream despite not being highly regarded on draft boards. The point guard who dug the Orange out of many holes this season had some time to talk about his time at SU and his NBA potential.

Orange Fizz: Coach Boeheim said that he wishes he had you another year because he could have turned you into an All-ACC point guard. What did that mean to you?

John Gillon: It meant a lot to me me playing for someone that had that much confidence in me. It definitely boosted me this season that he believed in me.

OF: You started the season coming off the bench, but quickly transitioned into that starting role. What allowed you to get to that point this year?

JG: I just tried to stay consistent. I just tried to play my game whenever I could, so I knew things would eventually work out if I just stayed positive and I did what I had to do.

OF: The guy whose spot you took was Frank Howard and he was a guy who struggled a little bit this season. He’s coming back for next year, why should Syracuse fans be optimistic about Frank Howard starting next season?

JG: I don’t think everybody got to see how good Frank is. I thought at times he wasn’t as comfortable playing. He’s a really good player. A big guard, he’s talented, he has a good court awareness and he’s proven that he can hit more shots now, so I think people should be excited for what’s next for him because he’s gonna be a big contributor next year. He’s gonna be a player you can rely on.

https://i1.wp.com/.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/thorpe.jpg?fit=2000%2C1200

Geno Thorpe Set to Visit Syracuse | Otto's Grove (.com; Kelly)

With only one spot left on Syracuse’s 2017-18 basketball roster, Orange eyes have been fixed on graduate transfer Geno Thorpe and high school combo guard Eric Ayala. It’s no secret that the final roster spot likely belongs to one of those two players, should they want to commit. Well, this weekend that spot may wind up getting filled.

Thorpe, a 6-foot-4 guard from South Florida who can play either the point or off the ball, is set to visit Syracuse on Thursday and Friday, with a decision expected quickly in the aftermath. Thorpe is down to Syracuse and Pittsburgh, and since he’s already visited the Panthers, it seems likely that we’ll know where he’s headed before the weekend is over.

Thorpe is an interesting option and would fill a much needed role, with his strong perimeter shooting (he hit nearly 38% from long range last year) and his versatility at the guard positions. Right now, the Orange have only three guards on the roster in Frank Howard, who remains something of an enigma; Tyus Battle, the burgeoning superstar; and Howard Washington, a talented floor general who nevertheless would be better served developing for a year or two in a bench role before emerging as a much larger factor down the road.

Thorpe – a native of Pittsburgh who began his college career at Penn State – has proven he can score the basketball, having averaged 15.1 points per game. He was also thrust into the role of USF’s point guard, averaging 4.6 assists per game. He’s also an excellent free throw shooter, having knocked down 84.6% from the line last season.

14510094-1443823419-640x360.jpg

Pitino's Cards primed to pounce in ACC :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsportsfan.com; Tudor)

The decision by high school basketball star Brian (Tugs) Bowen to play at Louisville was bad news for NC State – and probably for Duke and UNC as well.

Bowen, a 6-foot-7 sharpshooter from Saginaw, Mich., had listed the Wolfpack among his top three but enrolled at Louisville last week in time for summer school. He’ll be part of a 5-player Rick Pitino recruit group that now rates in the same lofty category as Duke, which will bring in six new players.

The difference between Duke’s group and Louisville’s is frontcourt bulk. The Cardinals earlier signed 7-footer Malik Williams, 6-10 Lance Thomas and 6-8 Jordan Nwora in addition to point-guard Darius Perry.

With the exception of 6-10 Wendell Carter, the new Blue Devils are points and/or perimeter players.

Louisville’s incoming surplus of inside talent, coupled with the return of junior Deng Adel (6-8), sophomore V.J. King (6-7) and senior playmaker Quent Snider will give the Cards more lineup options, depth and overall talent than any other ACC team and should elevate them into the role of league favorite.

Like Duke and Carolina, Louisville did take an NBA hit. Donovan Mitchell, the team’s best player, left for the draft, as did Jaylen Johnson from a team that finished 25-9 overall but only 2-3 in March.

Since entering the ACC in 2014-15, Louisville has achieved a lot of success – 12-6 in the league each season – but not quite as much as anticipated by many of its fans. In fact, the football team has made just as big (or bigger) ACC splash.

Other

22851032-mmmain.jpg

Nearly 9 acres of prime Skaneateles property is about to go on the market (PS; Hannagan)

Their hopes of building a new Skaneateles learning center dashed, Peter and Elsa Soderberg now plan to sell the nearly 9- acre property that includes prime lake front.

Peter Soderberg said the couple will sell the former Stella Maris Retreat and Renewal Center property that includes 290 feet of frontage on Skaneateles Lake.

The Skaneateles Library Association and the Soderbergs announced Friday that they would not move forward with plans for an expanded library-learning center-art gallery following the threat of lengthy litigation by neighbors.

Such lawsuits would take money away from the project, draw construction time out and drive a "wedge" in the community, Soderberg said.

The plans for the Project Bookends learning center were dumped after neighbors threatened legal action.

"We're incredibly disappointed and disheartened," Soderberg said. "We thought it would be a unique and highly valued addition to the community for all ages."

The Third Franciscan Order sold the 9.7-acre property at 130 E. Genesee St. for $8.4 million in Dec. 22, 2015. Onondaga County property records show the same day it was donated for $1 to Project Bookends, which was set up to shepherd the new learning center.

One week until national sewing machine day. Make your dinner reservations now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom