Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
befunky-design22.jpg

Welcome to National Bologna Day!

National Bologna Day is dedicated to bologna, a smoked and seasoned sausage popular in sandwiches. Although it sometimes is informally spelled as baloney, it takes its name from Bologna, Italy, a city where mortadella, a pork sausage, originated. The bologna sausage derives from mortadella, and is usually made with pork or beef, but can also be made with meats such as chicken, turkey, venison, or with a combination of them, or with soy protein. Seasonings such as black pepper, coriander, celery seed, nutmeg, and allspice are added. Myrtle berries, which are an important flavoring in mortadella, are also used. In the United States, the sausage is finely ground so that fat pieces are not visible.

SU News

Newcomers-to-Watch-1024x633.jpg

3 SU Basketball Newcomers to Know – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Raucci)

While everyone is still hung up on the SU football win over then #2 Clemson a few weeks ago, people are seemingly forgetful of the fact that basketball season is quickly approaching on the SU campus.

Jim Boeheim and company open up their exhibition slate with a matchup versus Southern New Hampshire in the Carrier Dome next Wednesday and this is a very different Syracuse team than we saw a season ago. Gone are the days of Tyler Lydon, Andrew White and John Gillon. Heck, even would-be-sophomore Taurean Thompson is no longer with the program. SU lost a lot of leadership and a lot of scoring from last year’s team and it’s going to be a tall task after what was a seemingly week recruiting class in 2017. Or was it? While SU’s 2017 class wasn’t very highly touted or ranked, a lot of these guys can still flat out play and will make instantaneous contributions for the Orange this season. Here are the top three SU basketball newcomers to know ahead of the 2017-2018 season.

Head coach Jim Boeheim sits down with CitrusTV's Christian De Guzman to discuss the team's tough non-conference slate, the leadership on this year's young roster and the future of Syracuse basketball.

UM’s Larrañaga says he is “Coach 3” in FBI report and probe has “been a strain” (newsobserver.com; Kaufman)

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing FBI investigation, spoke publicly about the recruiting corruption probe for the first time on Monday. He read a prepared statement and then answered questions at the Watsco Center, where the Hurricanes open their season in two weeks.

“I cannot state more emphatically that I have absolutely no knowledge of any wrongdoing by any member of our staff and I certainly have never engaged in the conduct that some have speculated about,” said Larrañaga, who acknowledged that he and his attorneys believe he is the man labeled as “Coach 3” in the FBI complaint. He added he was “relieved” by that because it means his assistant coaches are not connected.

“I’ve tried to live every single one of my 68 years on this earth with integrity, character and humility, and to set an example for my children, grandchildren and the hundreds of young men I’ve had the opportunity to coach. To have those values that I cherish so dearly even questioned is disheartening and disappointing.”

Other

blog-2017-01-25-dn-cityhall27jpg-52a6bd35c026350d.jpg

Study: Rust Belt cities like Syracuse may need state help to stay afloat (PS; Knauss)

New York and other states may be forced to rescue cash-strapped Rust Belt cities such as Syracuse, where poverty is growing and shrunken populations struggle to pay off municipal debts, according to a report this week from the Manhattan Institute.

If that happens, state officials are likely to demand more control over local decision-making in return for financial help, writes Stephen Eide, senior fellow at the conservative-leaning think tank.

Eide's study, "Rust Belt cities and their burden of legacy costs," concludes that state officials should develop a strategy to intervene and stabilize cities before crises hit.

"All roads lead to extensive and increasingly assertive forms of state involvement in Rust Belt cities,'' Eide wrote.

The long decline of manufacturing has left Rust Belt cities with many of the same challenges, Eide said: High debt, shrinking populations and growing poverty. That's a combination likely to drive some cities to the brink of bankruptcy, he said.

befunky-design22.jpg

Welcome to National Bologna Day!

National Bologna Day is dedicated to bologna, a smoked and seasoned sausage popular in sandwiches. Although it sometimes is informally spelled as baloney, it takes its name from Bologna, Italy, a city where mortadella, a pork sausage, originated. The bologna sausage derives from mortadella, and is usually made with pork or beef, but can also be made with meats such as chicken, turkey, venison, or with a combination of them, or with soy protein. Seasonings such as black pepper, coriander, celery seed, nutmeg, and allspice are added. Myrtle berries, which are an important flavoring in mortadella, are also used. In the United States, the sausage is finely ground so that fat pieces are not visible.

SU News

Newcomers-to-Watch-1024x633.jpg

3 SU Basketball Newcomers to Know – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Raucci)

While everyone is still hung up on the SU football win over then #2 Clemson a few weeks ago, people are seemingly forgetful of the fact that basketball season is quickly approaching on the SU campus.

Jim Boeheim and company open up their exhibition slate with a matchup versus Southern New Hampshire in the Carrier Dome next Wednesday and this is a very different Syracuse team than we saw a season ago. Gone are the days of Tyler Lydon, Andrew White and John Gillon. Heck, even would-be-sophomore Taurean Thompson is no longer with the program. SU lost a lot of leadership and a lot of scoring from last year’s team and it’s going to be a tall task after what was a seemingly week recruiting class in 2017. Or was it? While SU’s 2017 class wasn’t very highly touted or ranked, a lot of these guys can still flat out play and will make instantaneous contributions for the Orange this season. Here are the top three SU basketball newcomers to know ahead of the 2017-2018 season.

Head coach Jim Boeheim sits down with CitrusTV's Christian De Guzman to discuss the team's tough non-conference slate, the leadership on this year's young roster and the future of Syracuse basketball.

UM’s Larrañaga says he is “Coach 3” in FBI report and probe has “been a strain” (newsobserver.com; Kaufman)

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing FBI investigation, spoke publicly about the recruiting corruption probe for the first time on Monday. He read a prepared statement and then answered questions at the Watsco Center, where the Hurricanes open their season in two weeks.

“I cannot state more emphatically that I have absolutely no knowledge of any wrongdoing by any member of our staff and I certainly have never engaged in the conduct that some have speculated about,” said Larrañaga, who acknowledged that he and his attorneys believe he is the man labeled as “Coach 3” in the FBI complaint. He added he was “relieved” by that because it means his assistant coaches are not connected.

“I’ve tried to live every single one of my 68 years on this earth with integrity, character and humility, and to set an example for my children, grandchildren and the hundreds of young men I’ve had the opportunity to coach. To have those values that I cherish so dearly even questioned is disheartening and disappointing.”

Other

blog-2017-01-25-dn-cityhall27jpg-52a6bd35c026350d.jpg

Study: Rust Belt cities like Syracuse may need state help to stay afloat (PS; Knauss)

New York and other states may be forced to rescue cash-strapped Rust Belt cities such as Syracuse, where poverty is growing and shrunken populations struggle to pay off municipal debts, according to a report this week from the Manhattan Institute.

If that happens, state officials are likely to demand more control over local decision-making in return for financial help, writes Stephen Eide, senior fellow at the conservative-leaning think tank.

Eide's study, "Rust Belt cities and their burden of legacy costs," concludes that state officials should develop a strategy to intervene and stabilize cities before crises hit.

"All roads lead to extensive and increasingly assertive forms of state involvement in Rust Belt cities,'' Eide wrote.

The long decline of manufacturing has left Rust Belt cities with many of the same challenges, Eide said: High debt, shrinking populations and growing poverty. That's a combination likely to drive some cities to the brink of bankruptcy, he said.

JB seems really non-committal about this team.
Everything is "we're gonna get better", "so-and-so will need to step-up fast", "our OOC schedule will show us what we have, and what we'll need to do to improve"...etc.
Understandable, but doesn't really bode well, IMO.