Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
ass5.jpg

Welcome to All Saints' Day!

All Saints' Day is a Christian festival that honors saints, and also celebrates the victory of Christ over death. The definition of saints and those who are being honored on the day are often looked at differently in Catholic and various Protestant churches. In the Catholic Church, the day is seen as honoring saints that don't have their own day of celebration. Many Protestants use the day to honor all Christians, both past and present. The day takes place on November 1 in Western churches in Europe and the Americas, such as in Anglican, Roman Catholic, Methodist, Lutheran, and some other Protestant churches. It is part of the Roman Rite in the Catholic Church and is a Principal Feast in the Anglican Church. It takes place a day before All Souls' Dayand a day after All Hallows' Eve, commonly known as Halloween. Many Eastern churches observe the day on the first Sunday after Pentecost.

SU News

Player Quotes - Le Moyne (cuse.com)

Postgame Quotes

Oshae Brissett
How do you feel like the team came out tonight?
“I feel like we came out sloppy - but we’ll pick it up going forward. We’re going to be okay for our first game. Our guards are coming back (three point guards did not play because of injuries) and that’s really going to help us out. I’m really proud of the guys and how they closed out the game. We didn’t let up and we kept the lead.”

What did you hope to accomplish in these two exhibition games?
“I hope to just get back in the swing of things. These are our first two games since last year so it’s good to get back out there and run up and down the court. Yes, these games don’t count but we’re still here to win and get comfortable with the court. A lot of the guys are not used to playing here and it’s good to just get these two games out of the way.”

The rebounding stuck out from the beginning. What was allowing them to get to that advantage?
“I feel like they just had a lot of lucky bounces and long rebounds, but really there’s no excuse for it. We should have out rebounded them. From a player’s perspective, there were just a few little tips that we missed.”

Buddy Boeheim
You’ve talked a lot about games that you haven’t played in and now you get a chance to be a part of that, how surreal is that for you?
“It’s crazy. It just makes me think about when I was a kid watching the game and now how I feel as a player. Imagining being that kid watching the game and how I thought I'd feel emotionally. It’s something I’ve always dreamed about.”

Wearing number 35 and knowing that from here on out these games are going to count, what does that feel like?
“Playing for my dad, wearing his jersey, and having him believe in me and that I can play here means a lot to me. I just want to give back as much as I can as a player for Syracuse, the fans, and win as much as possible.”

Tyus Battle
What does the team need to work on between now and Tuesday?
“A good amount. There were way too many turnovers tonight. There were also too many rebounds. They crashed the boards a little better, so our defense has to tighten up. But it’s normal and we will fix it.”

9254766e-ac61-497b-8425-049f0d4aac4b-large16x9_QUINCYGUERRIER.jpg

Win-Win night for Syracuse Basketball with Quincy Guerrier commitment (cnycentral.com; Tamurian)

On the same night that Syracuse Basketball beat Le Moyne in an exhibition game, the Orange also secured a commitment from a top-100 recruit.

Quincy Guerrier picked the Orange on Wednesday night over finalists Oregon and Illinois along with offers from Georgetown, Florida, Texas and many more.
Guerrier is a 6'7" swingman that fits perfectly in the Orange offense and defense, he's ranked #96 in the 247 Sports Top-100.

Hailing from Quebec City, Quebec Guerrier knows current Orange star Oshae Brissett from their high school playing days.

Quincy is the fourth commitment for the Class of 2019, joining Brycen Goodine, John Bol Ajak and Joe Girard III.

Syracuse Basketball: Orange is absolutely a legitimate title contender (itlh.com; Adler)

The Syracuse basketball squad has a decent chance at cutting down the nets in early April, according to one well-known journalist at CBS Sports.
As the ‘Cuse hoops outfit gets set to host Le Moyne Wednesday night in an exhibition encounter, with the 2018-19 regular season only a few days away, the buzz is definitely brewing about our boys on the Hill.
The Orange finds itself ranked in an abundance of pre-season top-25 polls, and expectations are clearly high. But despite a ton of lofty praise among the sport’s pundits, is Syracuse really a legit team to reach the 2019 Final Four?

I believe so, and it seems that CBS Sports senior writer Matt Norlander agrees. Earlier this week, he published an interesting piece on the 16 groups, which he slotted into various tiers, that he thinks have a “realistic shot” at capturing the NCAA Tournament next April.
Naturally, Norlander has many of the usual suspects on his list, including Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, North Carolina, Villanova and Virginia.
SU, it turns out, also made the cut. Norlander placed the ‘Cuse in the “dark horses” category. He describes these units as those “not being put in the national championship conversation even though they’ve all got the coaching and veteran presence to win six straight in March.”

Schedule analysis & season prediction — 2018 Syracuse Basketball preview - The Juice Online (the juice; Stechschulte)

This season’s schedule is almost completely devoid of top-end challenges in the non-conference portion. The biggest names are Connecticut, Ohio State, Georgetown, and whichever one of Iowa and #14 Oregon the Orange will face in the 2K Classic. Only the ACC-Big Ten Challenge game with the Buckeyes is a true road game and the 2K Classic takes place at SU’s home away from home, Madison Square Garden. One foe not to be overlooked is Buffalo, who claimed 14 points in the inaugural AP poll.

The ACC section of the schedule, however, will make up for any perceived softness in early season play, as seven teams from the conference earned preseason top 25 honors. The Orange get home-and-home sets with #4 Duke and #22 Clemson and another pair of tough road trips, as they will visit #8 North Carolina and #15 Virginia Tech. #5 Virginia and #17 Florida State both come to the Dome for their lone matchups. Four other ACC teams (Notre Dame, Louisville, Miami, and North Carolina State) also earned preseason votes, meaning 12 of Syracuse’s 18 conference games will be against teams mentioned in the preseason polls.

SU will finish that difficult conference slate with a flurry, as a set of five games in 13 days includes Louisville, Duke, and Virginia all coming to the Carrier Dome with visits to North Carolina and Wake Forest in the middle. While that meat grinder follows an off week, that two-week stretch in February and March will go a long way in determining where the Orange are seeded in both the ACC and NCAA Tournaments.

AP_18077783348672.jpg

ACCSports.com All-Analytics Second Team: Tyus Battle, Ky Bowman return as high-usage scorers - ACCSports.com (accsports.com; Geisinger)

On Tuesday this week, we released our ACC Basketball All-Analytics first team. Featured in that five-man group: Luke Maye, De’Andre Hunter, Kyle Guy, Justin Robinson and Temple Gibbs. Picking up from where that left off, here’s the All-Analytics second team.
(Note: Again, freshman are excluded from these rosters. Inclusion is based off statistics compiled against college competition. Other than that, there are no real restrictions — just be good at basketball.)

Tyus Battle, Syracuse
It’s not exactly bold to say no player in the ACC was asked to do more for his team last season than Battle. At Syracuse, Jim Boeheim rolled with a rotation that floated between six and seven players. Battle had to play minutes, and he had to produce. Make no mistake, he did both.
Battle logged 39 minutes per game; in ACC play, though, he averaged over 40 minutes per game. Dating back to the 2009-10 season, Battle is one of only three players to average over 40 minutes per game in conference games.
Unsurprisingly, he was a high-usage player, too: 26.2 percent usage rate, per KenPom. According to Synergy Sports, Battle used 758 total possessions (27 percent of Syracuse’s total possessions). Last season, only 23 Division I players accounted for 700 or more used possessions. Of those 23, only three played for Power 5 programs: Battle, Trae Young of Oklahoma, now with the Atlanta Hawks, and Penn State’s Tony Carr.

ACC players: Cost of attendance stipend helps in many ways :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsports.com; Kurz)

The cost of attendance stipend is quietly helping college players while the debate rages on whether they should be paid.

The modest stipend is a fraction of the millions college football generates, but is intended to provide players with money to buy an occasional pizza when university food service is not available or take in a movie. Some players use it to pay utility bills or help out family members, and there are coaches and administrators who feel it helps ward off the temptation to accept impressible benefits.

The money from universities, including Atlantic Coast Conference schools, varies based on how far from home the players play, the cost of living where they play and the status of their educational pursuits. How it is distributed also varies from school to school.

North Carolina State offensive lineman Garrett Bradbury receives $2,676 as in in-state player, $202 less than a player from out of state receives.

Emily Engstler, a freshman on the women's basketball team, was surprised by her teammates at her hotel before the McDonald's All-American game.

Other

57b_citronellecitronelle_18.jpeg

Citronelle: Elegant, artful food in dramatic Armory Square setting (Dining out review) (PS; Paventi)

What made Citronelle an exceptional dining experience was more than just the service, which was remarkable. It was not only the artful, detail-oriented presentation of each plate. It was how each element inside the Armory Square space complemented one another. Deep grays, dark woods and neutral colors create an elegant atmosphere accentuated by first-rate service and high-end, modern American cuisine.

The smoked salmon tartare ($13), an appetizer special during a recent Saturday evening visit, encapsulated all of these elements. A cylindrical mound of chopped raw salmon was trapped under a wine glass with hickory smoke with microgreens, which were surrounded by lemon creme fraiche and apple gel. Our waiter presented the dish by removing the glass and swirling the smoke for effect. The delicate orange fish absorbed the smoke and melted on the tongue, leaving behind a flavor of delicate fish and pungent hickory. Bright lighting provided definition to the smoke swirls, a finishing touch to each dish that stimulated the senses.

Citronelle is the newest restaurant from Methin "Max" Chutinthranond, who also owns longtime Armory Square favorite Lemon Grass and its neighbor, Bistro Elephant Steakhouse. The restaurant's entrance is in a former parking lot, while the restaurant fills much of the former Onondaga Music Co. building