Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
gobstopper-theater-box1_1_450x_crop_center.jpg

Welcome to Gobstopper Day!

Gobstoppers, commonly called jawbreakers, are enjoyed for hours on end today, for it is Gobstopper Day! They are hard candies—ones so hard that they can't safely be bitten into, and they usually are round, being between one and three centimeters in diameter, but can be larger. Gobstoppers consist of layers that are different colors, and sometimes also different flavors. To make gobstoppers, layers of liquid sugar are deposited multiple times on a core that may be a gumball or a pressed ball of sugar. Natural and artificial flavors are added as well. The process is known as hot panning. It takes place in large heated pans that rotate and is completed in a few weeks' time.

During the years between the two World Wars, gobstoppers were popular candies in the United Kingdom and the Americas, where they were sold by weight from jars in sweet and candy shops. Roald Dahl used the name in his 1964 book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, when he created the Everlasting Gobstopper, a candy that changed flavors and colors as it was sucked on, but never completely dissolved. The 1971 film adaptation of Dahl's book, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, also featured the Everlasting Gobstopper. In 1976, the Everlasting Gobstopper became real candy. Resembling the gobstoppers that were popular early in the century, and named after the gobstopper in Dahl's book, Everlasting Gobstoppers were first manufactured by Breaker Confections, before being purchased by Nestlé. Today we
celebrate these and all other types of gobstoppers!

SU News

TTVZT2HT55CWPLUU4CC27WYODU.JPG

Axe: Carmelo on SU bond, delivering a title and why Boeheim told him to ‘get out’ (PS; $; Axe)

Carmelo Anthony knew when he committed to Syracuse University on his birthday (May 29) during his junior year of high school he was making a bond for life.

“I just felt like there was always going to be a connection with Syracuse,” Anthony said during an interview set to air Tuesday afternoon on ESPN Syracuse. “Once I got there, I felt like I was a part of it. I felt like I was a part of that community in a major, major way because I committed a year early. I had time to make the commitment and still go play basketball at Oak Hill but still look forward to going to Syracuse.”

Anthony has a new book out written with D. Watkins titled “Where Tomorrows Aren’t Promised,” which focuses on his childhood in New York City and Baltimore and his eventual path to Syracuse University to play basketball for Jim Boeheim.

Here are a couple highlights from the interview:

On winning a national title for Syracuse in 2003

“It wasn’t just winning, it was understanding what was at stake,” Anthony said. “Understanding Syracuse. “Boeheim had been coaching there, to that point, almost 30 years and hadn’t won a championship. Syracuse needed that. They can’t have that kind of camaraderie, not just in Syracuse but in the whole world.

“No matter where you go in the world, you are going to find somebody that represents Syracuse. You can’t have that and then don’t have a championship or the success to go behind that. It’s what I felt after we won. It felt like walking or hiking Mount Kilimanjaro.”

Why Buddy Boeheim is a Legitimate NBA Prospect (SI; McCaulsky)

In today’s NBA, you must be able to knock down threes, at least at a respectable rate in order to stay on the court for an extended period of time. This especially applies when a player struggles to create their own shot or if their role is to play off the ball and use off ball screens. No matter what else that player may do well, there’s always a place for a knockdown shooter in the modern NBA.

In Buddy Boeheim’s case, his ability to knock down threes, especially in big time moments during the 2021 NCAA Tournament propelled him from being perceived as just Jim Boeheim’s son to a serious NBA prospect. Boeheim averaged 22.3 points per game on 48 percent from the field and 43 percent from beyond the three point line during March Madness. His 30 point game against San Diego State put him on the NBA radar. He cooled off against West Virginia and Houston on his way to a Sweet 16 exit but he showed scouts that he’s capable of playing under the bright lights.

At the next level, Boeheim’s game compares favorably to Kevin Huerter of the Atlanta Hawks. However, it is more likely that he’ll play the role of Duncan Robinson in the NBA which is mainly to use off ball screens and shoot off the catch. Boeheim is mainly known for his perimeter shooting but is capable of much more. Like Huerter, Boeheim is a capable three level scorer who can post up smaller guards and has shown flashes of playmaking ability. That being said, he’s not an advanced playmaker, not known as a defender, and he’ll have to improve his ball handling and footwork to round out his offensive game.

estrella.jpg

Syracuse Basketball: Newly offered big man is an elite rim protector (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball coaches doled out numerous scholarship offers to 2023 and 2024 high-school prospects at their recently held Elite Camp.

Some of those offers went to players who are highly ranked in their recruiting cycles. Others, though, possess a ton of talent, but so far they’re under-rated on a national scale.

Case in point, the ‘Cuse has offered 2023 big man Joseph Estrella, whom I’m not seeing listed on many recruiting Web sites. That leads me to believe that he isn’t nationally rated for the time being.

However, if Syracuse basketball coaches have offered the 6-foot-10 power forward, then he certainly must boast an impressive skill-set.

Very blessed and honored to have received an offer for Syracuse! Thank you Coach Boeheim and the entire staff for this opportunity! #gocuse pic.twitter.com/jSNtOK1A8e
— Joseph Estrella (@jestrella_13) August 28, 2021

As a member of the 2023 class, Estrella is heading into his junior campaign. According to his Twitter page, he attends South Portland High School in South Portland, Maine, and he runs on the grassroots basketball circuit with Middlesex Magic, which is one of the premier AAU squads in the New England region.

Syracuse basketball is getting involved early on with 2023 big man Joseph Estrella.

Since Estrella doesn’t appear to have a bio on various recruiting Web sites, at least for now, it’s unclear to me if he has offers from groups besides the ‘Cuse. We’ll of course continue to monitor his recruitment moving forward.

Syracuse Basketball: Not feeling great about SU’s chances with 5-star wing (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball 2023 five-star target Elijah Fisher seems to have a recruiting process that flies a bit more under the radar than other top-flight players in his class.

I say this because I don’t see tons of interviews given by him to national recruiting analysts, at least as compared to others in the 2023 cycle who also hold scholarship offers from the Orange coaching staff.

Since the ‘Cuse offered the 6-foot-7 wing from Canada back in the summer of 2020, I have read a few pieces where Fisher has spoken positively of the Orange program.

However, more recently, when Fisher discusses the college teams he’s hearing from consistently, Syracuse basketball doesn’t seem to come up.

Now, I’m not a recruiting analyst, nor am I in Fisher’s inner circle. So he could be in regular communication with the ‘Cuse. I’m basing my opinion on interviews given by him, as well as articles written about Fisher by journalists and national analysts.

With all of this being said, I don’t have an optimistic feeling about the Orange’s chances at winning the recruiting battle over Fisher, who is a consensus top-15 prospect in the 2023 class.

Syracuse basketball faces heavy competition for five-star Elijah Fisher.

When we penned a column about Fisher in late July, we noted that he had mentioned several squads whom he was in frequent contact with, according to an interview he gave with 247Sports national analyst Dushawn London.

Among the teams that Fisher discussed were blue-bloods Kentucky and Kansas, as well as Oklahoma State. In early July, Kentucky offered Fisher, per his bio on the 247Sports Web site.

Syracuse Basketball: Talented big-man target recruitment picks up steam (itlh; Adler)

Last October, we penned a column about Syracuse basketball reportedly showing interest in Caleb Middleton, an under-rated big man in the 2024 class.

Already regarded by some recruiting insiders as one of the top prospects in the New England region, Middleton appears to be positioned well for his recruitment to blow up on a national scale.

For one, Pro Insight director of scouting Andrew Slater recently sent out a tweet about the 6-foot-10 Middleton. In his tweet, Slater noted that Middleton’s scholarship offers to date have arrived from teams such as Iowa, DePaul, Bryant, Siena and Florida International University.

Additionally, according to Slater and other analysts, as well as media reports and recruiting services, Middleton has garnered interest from a range of squads, such as the Orange, Virginia, Connecticut, Maryland, Marquette, Penn State, Indiana, Boston College, Georgia, Seton Hall, Oregon, UMass and Northeastern.

6’10” Caleb Middleton’24 @CalebMiddlet0n of @thebabc & @NHSHuskies has earned offers from Iowa, Siena, DePaul, FIU & Bryant as well as interest from Syracuse, Virginia, Maryland, Marquette, Penn St, & UMass. Will take an unofficial visit to #Iowa in the Fall. #CP3risingstars pic.twitter.com/6vb0oQBE5o
— ℯ ℯ (@Andrew__Slater) August 22, 2021

Those are some really solid lists of offers and interest for Middleton, who is preparing for his sophomore year at the New Hampton School in New Hampton, N.H. On the AAU circuit, he runs with the Boston Amateur Basketball Club.

Syracuse basketball is showing interest in a top-flight 2024 player.

Middleton likely has a long way to go with his recruitment, but he certainly is attracting attention from a bunch of big-time college teams. I’m hopeful that the ‘Cuse evolves into a significant contender for him.

Based on various comments that I’ve read about him from recruiting analysts, Middleton possesses a lot of really positive traits on the court.

He’s The GOAT To Everyone - Except ACC Sportswriters (DBR; Jacobs)

As Mike Krzyzewski’s departure from the ACC stage approaches, it’s worth noting that whatever he’s achieved – from championships to wins to developing extraordinary teams and players, a litany overwhelmingly impressive – he’s been amply praised and rewarded.

Except by the media in his own neighborhood.

This is not an intentional slight. But it is odd, if not silly, and perhaps yet another example of our blindness to the familiar. Soon enough, even the familiar passes into memory and then we appreciate more fully what we no longer have.

These days Coach K is commonly met with accolades and genuflection. The sports label “GOAT” (Greatest Of All Time) was copyrighted in 1992 by boxer Muhammad Ali’s wife, but came into common usage within the last decade in reference to NFL quarterback Tom Brady, according to Sports Illustrated.

Soon thereafter Krzyzewski popularly was anointed a GOAT too, with few dissenters.

Yet, and this does seem amazing, it’s been 21 years, since the 2000 season, that the ACC media — for years a free-range group and more recently a preselected, inbred contingent – voted Krzyzewski the league’s Coach of the Year.

That saluteless 21-year interval is longer than most undergrads have been alive. That period covers three NCAA titles, 10 ACC Tournament championships, 10 30-win seasons, 17 finishes in the ACC’s top three, 41 NCAA tournament victories, eight ACC player of the year awards, and 599 Ws. That’s a lot to take for granted.

https://www.heraldonline.com/sports/college/acc/article254098338.html (heraldonline.com; Brown)

The North Carolina that men’s basketball coach Hubert Davis experienced as a player is still a very foreign concept to what foward/center Armando Bacot has endured in his two years in Chapel Hill.

Davis’ played on teams that won regular season and ACC tournament championships. He played in a Final Four.

Bacot played on a team his freshman year ravished by injuries that had the dubious distinction of being the only losing season on coach Roy Williams’ resume. His sophomore year earned another infamous honor in being the only team coached by Williams’ to lose in the NCAA Tournament’s first round.

The third year for Bacot has got to be the charm, right?

Other

IGTWUICWA5GWZDCV5RBG4JPN6E.JPG

Grace and Matthew Horning pick apples at Beak & Skiff Apple Orchards on Thursday, Sept. 3, 2020. Katrina Tulloch | ktulloch@syracuse.com

Once again, this CNY apple orchard is named America’s best in national poll (PS; Cazentre)

For the fourth time in six years, Beak & Skiff Apple Orchard in LaFayette has been named America’s No. 1 orchard in a national poll of readers of USA Today.

Beak & Skiff also took the top honor among apple orchards in 2015, 2017 and 2020. The annual Top 10 orchards list is presented just ahead of apple picking season each fall by USA Today’s 10Best.com site. 10Best conducts similar polls on a variety of travel, dining and leisure categories.

“This family-owned orchard has been growing apples since onion farmer George Skiff and dairy farmer Andrew Beak joined forces in 1911 to plant apples on a hillside along Rte. 20,” 10Best posted along with the list. “The rest, as they say, is history. Gala, McIntosh, Ginger Gold and Paula Red are just a few of the varieties offered from late August through late October. Live music events, Cider Fests, Orchard Runs and a Kids’ Magic Show add entertainment to the apple picking.”

Here are the Top 10 orchards according to the poll:

1. Beak & Skiff Apple Orchards - LaFayette, N.Y.
2. Mercier Orchards - Blue Ridge, Ga.
3. Spicer Orchards - Fenton, Mich.
4. Deal’s Orchard - Jefferson, Iowa
5. Eckert’s Orchard - Grafton, Ill.
6. Libby & Son U-Picks - Limerick, Maine
7. Jaswell’s Farm - Smithfield, RI
8. Sky Top Orchard - Flat Rock, NC
9. Huber’s Orchard and Winery - Borden, Ind.
10. Tougas Family Farm - Northborough, Mass.

USA Today readers determine the Top 10 by choosing their favorites from a list of 20 orchards across the country nominated by a 10Best panel of experts. There are about 7,500 apple orchards in the United States.

Last edited: