Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Diversity-Globe-with-Multicultural-People-01-1-696x696.jpg

Welcome to Multicultural Diversity Day!

Cleorah Scruggs, who began teaching social studies in Flint, Michigan, in 1970, wanted to bring a focus to diversity in her classroom, and then had the idea that every school in Michigan should have a diversity program. Her idea was approved by the Michigan Education Association (MEA), and she then took it to the National Education Association (NEA). In 1993, the Representative Assembly of the NEA adopted it nationwide, to "increase awareness of the tremendous need to celebrate our diversity collectively." With this, Multicultural Diversity Day was born. The day is observed by educators, who focus special attention on multiculturalism and diversity in their classrooms during it.

Diversity can be defined as the sum of ways people are both different and alike. It includes many facets, such as race, ethnicity, gender, religion, s e xual orientation, language, culture, mental and physical ability, class, and immigration status. According to the NEA, diversity enriches everyone and its many components help form the fabric of society. Acceptance of diversity is a part of social justice. The NEA has said that education should play a role in fostering values of acceptance and appreciation of individuals in diverse populations, and they believe that curricula, observances, and programs focused on diversity are important.

SU News

Syracuse Basketball: Here’s why ‘Cuse will make a Final Four run this term (ith; Adler)

In recent seasons since joining the Atlantic Coast Conference, Syracuse basketball has struggled through some regular stanzas, but then the Orange has gone on several deep runs in March as a double-digit seed.

As the 2021-22 term approaches, it remains to be seen whether the ‘Cuse will make the 2022 NCAA Tournament – some pundits think the Orange will earn a bid, while others think Syracuse basketball and its fan base may get shut out on Selection Sunday.

One prevailing theme of late is if the ‘Cuse does hear its name called for the Big Dance, it’s a dangerous team in the field of 68. College basketball insider Andy Katz seems to have that sort of viewpoint, as he recently ranked his top-eight Final Four dark horses.

Checking in first on Katz’s list is none other than the Orange. I’m the first to admit that I’m a homer when it comes to Syracuse basketball, but I truly do believe that the ‘Cuse is poised to journey deep into March, and possibly early April.

I have a couple of reasons to support why Syracuse basketball can make the Final Four.

Okay, I’m sure that a fairly large contingent of Orange fans is going to throw shade at me for saying the ‘Cuse will make the Final Four next spring. That’s fair. But hear me out.

For one, the 2021-22 version of Syracuse basketball is a veteran group. There is only one freshman on the roster, and he’s a five-star prospect.

Forward Jimmy Boeheim and center Bourama Sidibe are graduate students. Shooting guard Buddy Boeheim and forward Cole Swider are seniors. Joe Girard III, Jesse Edwards and Symir Torrence are juniors.

Class of 2022 power forward Maliq Brown commits to Syracuse (PS; Waters)

Maliq Brown, a 6-foot-9 senior at Blue Ridge School in St. George, Virginia, announced on Saturday that he had committed to Syracuse.

Brown made the announcement in front of a throng of family, friends and classmates at his school on Saturday afternoon.

As he made the announcement, Brown unzipped a gray sweatshirt to reveal an orange Syracuse T-shirt. He then donned a blue Syracuse cap with an orange block S.

Brown picked Syracuse out of a final list of five schools that also included Georgetown, Virginia Tech, Penn State and North Carolina State. Brown had also received scholarship offers from Miami, Wake Forest and Texas A&M.

Brown’s list of schools would suggest that he is a very underrated prospect with his three-star ranking.

Syracuse Basketball: What will starting line-up be for Orange in 2021-22? (itlh; Adler)

CBS Sports college basketball insider Jon Rothstein recently took to Twitter to discuss a variety of topics on Syracuse basketball as he visited the Hill.

One of those topics was his early prediction on the Orange’s starting five ahead of the 2021-22 campaign, which is inching closer and should prove exciting for the ‘Cuse and its fan base.

Rothstein projects that the Orange’s starting rotation will feature junior point guard Joe Girard III, senior shooting guard Buddy Boeheim, senior forward Cole Swider, graduate student forward Jimmy Boeheim and junior center Jesse Edwards.

Early prediction on Syracuse's 21-22 starting five:
Joe Girard, Buddy Boeheim, Cole Swider, Jimmy Boeheim, Jesse Edwards
— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) October 5, 2021

That seems like a reasonable prediction from Rothstein, who is among the best in the business, and let’s go a bit in-depth on this topic now.

So what exactly will the Syracuse basketball starting line-up be?

In the backcourt, I imagine that the starting guard positions are locked up. Girard, who should rebound after a somewhat uneven sophomore stint, and Buddy Boeheim have played in tandem for two years now. Junior Symir Torrence, a Marquette transfer, will back them up.

At forward, the Villanova transfer Swider, Cornell transfer Jimmy Boeheim and freshman Benny Williams are competing for the starting nods. All three should get a decent amount of run in head coach Jim Boeheim’s rotation.

Rothstein had this to say in a separate tweet: “Syracuse’s sixth man will either be Cornell transfer Jimmy Boeheim or freshman forward Benny Williams. Both are in the top six of the rotation. Impressed with Jimmy Boeheim’s feel and IQ at the high post.”
Syracuse's sixth man will either be Cornell transfer Jimmy Boeheim or freshman forward Benny Williams. Both are in the top six of the rotation. Impressed with Jimmy Boeheim's feel and IQ at the high post.
— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) October 5, 2021

I’m unbelievably high on Williams and think that he’s going to be a star in Central New York. However, I could see Jimmy Boeheim starting alongside Swider at forward. Boeheim is a veteran player who averaged a ton of points in his most recent stanza at Cornell.

Then, at center, we’re likely to see Edwards get the starting job, as Rothstein projects. Graduate student Bourama Sidibe is a veteran, but he was also injured for much of last year.

A Few Leftover Things From ACC Tipoff Including Jeff Capel Forgetting His Coach Speak For A Minute (DBR; King)

Some of this you may have already seen but there’s one part we wanted to highlight.

These are comments from the ACC’s Media Day to start the season.

First, Hubert Davis talks about maintaining UNC traditions. He’s made it clear he’s making some changes but he’s diplomatic about it: “...I’ve said before that I want to travel the same road. I’m just going to do it with my own personality and my own shoes. Carolina is going to be Carolina because I believe in it and I trust it, but I’m also going to do it with my personality.”

Makes sense and well handled, coach.

Then some comments from Wendell Moore and Joey Baker about Jon Scheyer taking over after this coming season when Mike Krzyzewski retires. Wendell Moore said this: “(Scheyer) has been great, especially my time being here he’s helped so much, not only on the court but off the court things. I think the transition is already going to go smoothly, and I honestly don’t think there was a better person for the job.”

Baker broadly concurred, adding “I think Coach Scheyer is an amazing guy. He’s fully bought in to each individual guy on the team and the overall team success.”

Then former Duke guard and assistant Jeff Capel talks about NIL and wait until the Alabama folks get a hold of this quote. He’s been asked whether it will work better in rural areas or cities. After he talks about the pros and cons of being in a major city like Pittsburgh, Capel gets savage: “You know, in some cases, is it better to be in like Tuscaloosa, where there’s nothing?“

First, you know the NCAA might factor that in should both teams make the post-season and second, if we’re Nate Oats we’re cutting that and keeping it just in case.

That aside, he’s basically right.

ACC Recruiting: Miami Is Putting A Nice Class Together (DBR; King)

Miami had a tough, injury plagued season last year but no one has ever doubted Jim Larranaga’s ability to identify talented players and convince them to join his program.

Lonnie Walker, Bruce Brown, Davon Reed, Shane Larkin, Chris Lykes and most recently Isaiah Wong have all done well at Miami and beyond.

Larranaga developed a knack at George Mason of identifying guys who for various reasons were discounted by major programs but still very promising players and this has served him well at Miami too (that he also develops his players well is important too).

This week, Miami picked up two players who both fit the Miami mold and who are both promising: 6-7 Danilo Jovanovich out of Milwaukee and 6-8 AJ Casey from Chicago.

Christian Watson had previously committed to the ‘Canes in September.

Jovanovich is said to be solid but not spectacular offensively and has shown potential as a defender where Casey may be a real steal.

He’s probably better currently than Jovanovich and more athletic. He’s seen as a four-star but has a lot of potential as noted above, Larranaga players tend to improve.

As for Watson, Miami seems to have taken him away from Patrick Ewing and Georgetown. Even in down years Georgetown has immense appeal to local kids so that’s a good get for the ‘Canes.

He’s 6-6 and highly athletic. He’s also a willing defender. Miami still needs some bigs but Larranaga is putting the pieces of a very promising team in place.

Other

WZG34CSHJVHKLAMSQGI2UKL3FE.jpg

First Look: Cafe near SU campus is a little bit Midwest, a little bit Japanese and very feline friendly (PS; Miller)

The idea had been kicking around Josh Davis’ head for a few years now: Open a small cat cafe that specializes in unique bubble teas and homemade food with a calm atmosphere where customers can relax with a few friendly felines.

After selling out of his barbecue meatballs each day of the 2019 Taste of Syracuse festival, he started developing a menu. In March 2020, he found what he considered an ideal location at 1001 E. Fayette St., a block away from new student housing at Syracuse University. Just as he was about to sign the lease, the Covid-19 pandemic forced restaurant dining rooms to close.

“I knew what I wanted to do, and that’s where I wanted to do it,” Josh said on Tuesday. “The owner of the building said he would hold it for me because no one was going to be doing anything for a long time. That gave me more time to think about what I wanted to do.”

Last month, he watched his idea become reality. Cafe Luna, a quaint lounge that offers Midwestern comfort food and Japanese cuisine all on the same menu, opened to a seemingly eager customer base.

The storefront boasts a dining room with 13-foot ceilings that comfortably accommodates about 40 customers at tables or the bar. A glass-paned door in the back separates the restaurant from the cat room.

Last edited:
First post ever after following this board for nearly 15 years; just wanted to say thanks to sutomcat and everyone else that posts these daily articles (also was around when Orangeyes did it every day), as it is nice for someone who lives in Ohio to get a quick glance at everything going on.